• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
apatowcarell540.jpg

This was on the TV yesterday. I thought of gaf.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Koshiba said:
Yeah, I have the green (I think) ribbon version of that figure. it's a nice figure. I'm just glad when I can find Lum figures. :D

Sucks about never being able to find male figures. Nice phoenix wright figure though btw. Hey, if you ever come across any other Lum figures, you should totally let me know. :lol She's my favorite anime character.

There are some at a big recycle shop in town, but they're a bit too expensive. There's one that's Ataru getting ready to hit Ten with a frying pan that I really want though.

Lyte Edge said:
There are some at a big recycle shop in town, but they're a bit too expensive. There's one that's Ataru getting ready to hit Ten with a frying pan that I really want though.

You must name me where i can find these recycle shops. The best place ive been to when i went to Japan was Osaka. Den Den town is the best place for figures, more so then Akiba.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wow, it's like So You've Decided To Be Celibate - The Thread! :lol

A lot of the figure models are pretty cool, really. I have the two sets of "SEGA Gals" ones and the Shadow of the Colossus set. My girlfriend collects the larger size figures, mostly stuff from Rosen Maiden and such.

Eventually I'll get some of them set up and maybe finish up my Gundam models, but for now the shelves are dominated by Primes.

8c0i6mt.jpg

Minus one or two, that's every Optimus Prime/Primal figure ever made.

Ronok

I love how people started saying such collections scream of never getting laid or whatever when the one posting the biggest collection is married and I get them given to me as christmas pressents from my girlfriend. lol

No one I've known who's seens them has really thought bad of it at all. lol

If you're weird as it is then maybe they will be a problem, but, I don't really see it causing most people any harm. lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well, you have to admit that the image of an unsuspecting non-geek girl walking into a guy's place and being confronted with an army of vinyl cartoon women thrusting their asses toward her is a pretty amusing one.

Ronok

MattKeil said:
Well, you have to admit that the image of an unsuspecting non-geek girl walking into a guy's place and being confronted with an army of vinyl cartoon women thrusting their asses toward her is a pretty amusing one.

lol My girlfriends friend came into my room picked up one of my figures and looked up the skirt to see if it had panties or not. She isn't a geek by a long shot and she liked them. :-/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There's nothing wrong with having toys (video games are toys too, guys. :p) as part of your hobby, so long as you aren't doing something weird with them.

There IS something wrong if you're staying home with said toys instead of getting out and having a life.

Ronok said:
lol My girlfriends friend came into my room picked up one of my figures and looked up the skirt to see if it had panties or not. She isn't a geek by a long shot and she liked them. :-/

:lol My wife's friends have done that too. My friend's wife LOVES these toys and loves the really curvy ones. But that's Japan for you.

dabookerman said:
You must name me where i can find these recycle shops. The best place ive been to when i went to Japan was Osaka. Den Den town is the best place for figures, more so then Akiba.

Well, I live in Kanazawa, so I could tell you about those places, but I don't know where to go in the bigger cities other than Den Den Town and Akihabara.

Ronok said:

lol, mine has the biggest Pokemon plush collection you will ever see.

Ronok

Lyte Edge said:
There's nothing wrong with having toys (video games are toys too, guys. :p) as part of your hobby, so long as you aren't doing something weird with them.

There IS something wrong if you're staying home with said toys instead of getting out and having a life.

:lol My wife's friends have done that too. My friend's wife LOVES these toys and loves the really curvy ones. But that's Japan for you.

Well, I live in Kanazawa, so I could tell you about those places, but I don't know where to go in the bigger cities other than Den Den Town and Akihabara.

Yeah, that's what I mean, as long as you aren't the type of person a girl doesn't like as it is I don't see collecting models causing too many problems. lol

And yeah, if they are going to be repulsed by somewhat geeky things then they probably won't be the right person for most on this forum. =P

Oh and about the looking up the skirt thing.. I myself hadn't even done that. lol I just throught it was a cool model so bought it. Apparently though it's the natural thing to do..... lolol

dabookerman said:
lol, mine has the biggest Pokemon plush collection you will ever see.

XD Me and my girlfriend accidentaly started up a plushy collection in Japan, it's way too big now and we don't know where to put the things. o.o;;

Dead

well not really...yet
I used to build a shitton of Gundam models, though I havent done any in a while and the last kit I made was a Lancelot from Code Geass and I still have an MKII from L-Gaim sitting unbuilt.

I've been thinking of getting the MG Unicorn Gundam though:

10064235a2.jpg

As far as figures, I used to have and collect some but I've mostly stopped, I mostly stick to mecha kits and figures and even then the only ones I have displayed in my room are a Nirvash and a MG Zeta Gundam.

My Hoard:

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

I have a couple of lead Spider-Man figures on my desk at work
new-marvel_01.jpg
and
spidey_rooftop_shop_r1_c1.jpg
and some more hero/actionclix as well

Damn, I need to get this Deadpool figurine (bah its not available yet)

fig-bottom12_r1_c1.jpg

Amir0x said:
where'd you get that Mario from?

I ordered the FFIII/FFTactics Trading Minis, plus I have a ridiculously large collection of LOTR statues (cost thousands).
i got it at a local collectors store in san francisco for 20 something dollars. i'm sure you can find it on google, just google mario sofubi

Dali

MattKeil said:
Wow, it's like So You've Decided To Be Celibate - The Thread! :lol

A lot of the figure models are pretty cool, really. I have the two sets of "SEGA Gals" ones and the Shadow of the Colossus set. My girlfriend collects the larger size figures, mostly stuff from Rosen Maiden and such.

Eventually I'll get some of them set up and maybe finish up my Gundam models, but for now the shelves are dominated by Primes.

http://i15.tinypic.com/8c0i6mt.jpg[/IMG

Minus one or two, that's every Optimus Prime/Primal figure ever made.[/QUOTE]

You've even got the nike prime. It looks a lot smaller than I imagined.

rezuth

I want more figures for my office actually... Anyone know a place that has a wide collection and is fairly cheap?

Lelielle

I have a small collection (more gashapon), but it hard finding really good dynamic figures, one that are just standing are pretty boring, I like the ones in a combat pose or in some dynamic tableau or diorama. I also have to agree that there is a real shortage of good male figures, though some of the naruto battle scenes are very cool there are plenty of dudes with a good enough design to have a figure if just for the artistic merit (Jo Jo figures are good for this, plus the poses are already wacky). For female figures I like good costumes and lots of lifelikeness in the pose, and I dig lots of tendril like hair flowing (the Ah! Megami- sama resin models are gorgeous, shame I don't care much for the show. I kind of want the chun- li figure with her doing her spinning bird kick, nice and dynamic. I think i might add to my doll collection first, I have eyes on a full detail dragon swat team guy.

nny

The few figures I have in this house are spread around the room, so I have to post a few pics:

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

DSC02745.jpg

DSC02746.jpg

DSC02748.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

..and this is the last one to enter the house:

DSC02685.jpg

The majority are from Eva just because they're the most common to come across around here, figures aren't that easy to get here.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Fuzzery said:
No one here has an otaku-sized collection though, not even Extollere :lol

:lol That's not mine! I'm married, I couldn't get away with such an unhealthy obsession as a married person.... but you don't think that much is otaku?? how much more do you need to qualify? lol.. I have no figures, but I would love to get a few. Maybe Katamari, SF, Solid Snake. I love those Shunya Yamashita figures too. Sexy! :D

Extollere said:

Oh my GAWD! My jaw fuckin' DROPPED when I saw that. It honestly dropped. That guy must either:

A) Never get laid

B) Keeps that part of his place under tight lock and key so no lady friends ever see it

Anyone's guess as to which one, but its A or B.

Man, I thought I felt a little like a geek just for having a Final Fantasy X Lulu figure. My girlfriend hated it and it collected dust in my closet, so I ebayed it for a decent price. The guy that bought it was soooo happy to have it, that I felt like selling it was a good move. At least somebody can put it out and display it.

I've still got a handful of Master Chiefs hidden in various spots of my kitchen. The GF thinks those are cute. Then I've got a mini-spartan in our 10 gallon fish tank. He's perfect in there, though I'm considering making the entire aquarium a Halo one complete with a crashed warthog and everything.

I'd love to own some of those naughty figures, but I just don't think I could get away with displaying them anywhere. If anyone I knew saw them, I'd be called out for being the total geek that I am, but have hidden fairly well all this time. :D I'd end up keeping all the girlie ones in a box somewhere and only breaking them out when I'm by myself. Now tell me that doesn't make me creepy if somebody were to walk in. :lol

Bezz

Banned
You know, I like to invite girls to my apartment from time to time....

Some of those toys scream "Im a creepy virgin"

EinDS

Neo Member
I'm not much of a collector, but my parents got this for me for Christmas - and it's awesome. Aside from this I have a small Motoko figure and a Tachikoma plush from GitS. My parents on the other hand have probably well over $1500 worth of gaming/anime/dragon figures. They're insane.

haruhi.jpg

Hero

EinDS said:
I'm not much of a collector, but my parents got this for me for Christmas - and it's awesome. Aside from this I have a small Motoko figure and a Tachikoma plush from GitS. My parents on the other hand have probably well over $1500 worth of gaming/anime/dragon figures. They're insane.

Your parents are otaku?

I don't see the big deal. Some things are just viewed as being more nerdy than some things. I have a fairly large DVD collection on top of my video game collection. Who knows how many hundreds upon hundreds of dollars I've spent on games and DVDs. I'm sure some people would call it a waste of money and nerdy, but I don't care. As long as those figure models make people happy I don't see a thing wrong with it.

Fuzzery

Extollere said:
:lol That's not mine! I'm married, I couldn't get away with such an unhealthy obsession as a married person.... but you don't think that much is otaku?? how much more do you need to qualify? lol.. I have no figures, but I would love to get a few. Maybe Katamari, SF, Solid Snake. I love those Shunya Yamashita figures too. Sexy! :D

Hmmmm, needs 2 or 3 more packed shelves.

EinDS

Neo Member
Hero said:
Your parents are otaku?

Yeah. This is a very small portion of my dad's collection. The Final Fantasy characters are displayed in the living room. My mom got him Bahamut and Leviathan from the Master Creatures set for Christmas. He hasn't figured out where to put those yet.

ff1.jpg

My dad got my mom a new Godzilla statue that now lives on the microwave along with the dancing Godzilla lego man soda topper thing.

godzilla.jpg

LuCkymoON

Banned
EinDS said:
Yeah. This is a very small portion of my dad's collection. The Final Fantasy characters are displayed in the living room. My mom got him Bahamut and Leviathan from the Master Creatures set for Christmas. He hasn't figured out where to put those yet.

ff1.jpg

My dad got my mom a new Godzilla statue that now lives on the microwave along with the dancing Godzilla lego man soda topper thing.

godzilla.jpg
your parents are cool
=0

Jake.

i collect vinyl toys (not video game/anime related) and have spent $500 AUS on a single piece. peeps have easily spent into the thousands...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Dali said:
You've even got the nike prime. It looks a lot smaller than I imagined.

I think it's 1/4 scale. So yeah, pretty much baby shoe sized. It's actually kind of a lame figure, but the novelty of a transforming shoe was too much to pass up. One cool thing about it is that it actually does have a sole with full detail and tread.

6jmhzwg.jpg

Nooreo

EinDS said:

ff1.jpg

godzilla.jpg

I H8 YOU

Baryn

Banned
I've always wanted figures, but everyone I know who has even a few is sex starved. Like a curse.

Not to put down the collectors here. I envy you for having such a neat hobby.

big_z

Absinthe said:
I don't see the big deal. Some things are just viewed as being more nerdy than some things. I have a fairly large DVD collection on top of my video game collection. Who knows how many hundreds upon hundreds of dollars I've spent on games and DVDs. I'm sure some people would call it a waste of money and nerdy, but I don't care. As long as those figure models make people happy I don't see a thing wrong with it.

collecting dvds and games isn't anywhere near as bad as collecting girly figures. the plastic girls is like pimping out your place with cut up hustler mags... it's perverted but on a much creepier level.
it's fine and all if you want to do it but dont expect to get laid... well you probably could if you found someone just as odd like a furry but really i rather never get laid than go to that extreme.

rollingstone.jpg

Ronok

DO WANT! ; ;

I've always wanted figures, but everyone I know who has even a few is sex starved. Like a curse.

Not to put down the collectors here. I envy you for having such a neat hobby.

Errrmmmmmm, would you expect them to get laid if they didn't have figures......... My god, you guys are acting as though these girls know people have models from the very start...... Even then, like I said, if you don't repel women normally, they aren't going to turn tail and run because you collect some models. lol

I don't get you guys anyway, what's the point in being with a girl if she hates everything you like anyway. Stop worrying and just find someone who's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom