• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSTEIN said:
kotowolverinestatue.jpg

:lol Those come out of his arms how? :lol

Shogmaster said:
I think it was more or less being surrounded by the Hentai lovers that creeped me out. They were EVERYWHERE in the scene. Every anime group meeting or show I was knee deep in it. Shit, I just wanted watch some giant robots and cool sci-fi stuff, LOLZ.

You know, I don't get the whole social smut thing. I mean, I enjoy it; but really - when my friends come over, we're not watching Angel Blade. Y'know?

And yeah anime clubs suck. Never any super robot shows or anything cool. It's all douche-y pedo-bait rubbish, panty shot rubbish, or pretty boys with inferior mecha design rubbish (GUNDAM WING I AM LOOKING AT YOU!).

It hurts to know that people aren't watching Godannar for the robots, but for the panties. >:|

Or that Gaogaigar's US release was probably canned after five disks, which I'm grateful for anyhow, because it didn't have enough pedo-bait to gets sales. >:|

I packed up a good portion of my DVD's and toys to prepare for my eventual move. So I've only got a few things on display at the moment.

I really need to stop wasting money on this crap. For a while I had a rule of only GGG toys and anything 12" or larger. Unfortunately that's gone to the wayside as more Mine Yoshizaki stuff is being made, game companies are reaching back to the awesome era I recall gaming in and strip mining that for figures to sell me, and awesome G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary 3 3/4th figures. b00h00 :(

LuCkymoON

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Continuing with the theme of few but high quality figures... I don't lust after much mecha; but the one that I am eyeing is this: http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php?products_id=5759

RX 93-2 Hi-Nu Gundam. Another bastard rare gundam that mainly comes only via conversion kits, so you have to buy the Nu Gundam, then buy the conversion kit... and the conversion kit is pricier as well, due to the large number of subtle differences between them. Don't even know why they bother selling it as a conversion kit.

Only problem is... I don't have any intention of buying hundreds of dollars of painting and modelling equipment to do the piece justice. I mean, I'd be happy to waste the time doing it, but it's expensive enough as is.

But... does anyone know any commission model painters that could do this kinda stuff at a reasonable price to a high quality? What kind of prices should I be expecting for the work? 200? 400?

I need to get chummy with some model painter and borrow his stuff. ;o
Look up some of the guys on this bored, they will do it for a reasonable price
www.hobbyfanatics.com
If I had to recommend anyone builder it would be
Cody
http://codyscoop.com/index.php
or
GameraBaenre
http://www.gamerabaenre.com

however I'm not 100% sure if Cody does commissioned work

The Take Out Bandit said:
It hurts to know that people aren't watching Godannar for the robots, but for the panties. >:|
I'm part of the problem =(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
!!!

I really want those Persona 3 statues too!

I want the Aegis, Kirijo and Shujinko ones... X_X

hteng

Banned
Zaptruder said:
So... in that vein; anyone have very classy models figures that they're interested in?

And is it worth while going the paints for gundam models? You can't really get them looking too good without breaking out the airbrush IMO. But it's not worthwhile to do that for one or two of them... so does anyone know a place online for pre assembled, pre painted kits with a high standard of finish to them?

Gundam models are not really hard to paint, they aren't even that complex in design, they always use recurring colors, red, white, blue..etc. The ones that are really hardcore are those Five Star Stories Models, they are a beast to build and paint

to be honest, you can't really find those "old" type of models anymore (no color parts, solid material), they are extremely rare nowadays outside of japan, they are expensive, hard to produce and takes too much time to assemble, most vendors just don't import them.

Anyway, if you are looking for models that don't need to paint but still looks like its paint, then the Armored Core Series by Kotobukiya is the best, they come with painted parts and there are a ton of small components that makes the model extremely detailed (you can look at my pictures). That said, the models takes a while to build, roughly 5-6 hours just to assemble.

Flo

MarkMan said:
!!!

I really want those Persona 3 statues too!

I want the Aegis, Kirijo and Shujinko ones... X_X
I believe Aegis has been on PA already and is sold out. It was different from the Mitsuru one I think. The main character is for sale there, but its different size than Mitsuru as well I think. Akihiko is the same size. I hope they make all of them after eachother, might get some more of them. I would like Ken as well, and the dog.

Karmacide

I have a SEGA Mina figure on my desk. I haven't seen the anime it was based on, but I love Densha Otoko and it is an attractive figure without being really expensive ($25 if I remember correctly).

Mina01.jpg

Closer
Mina02.jpg

I don't collect Gundams or girly figs but I do have a metric fuckton of Marvel Legends (plus some figures from its sister lines), in excess of 200 figures.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Real quick guys...I'm heading out to Vancouver and Richmond tomorrow. I'm not from the area and don't know the place too well, where should I go if I wanna scope out some figures. I'd love to pick up something sweet while I'm here for my desk.

Ronok

Karmacide said:
I have a SEGA Mina figure on my desk. I haven't seen the anime it was based on, but I love Densha Otoko and it is an attractive figure without being really expensive ($25 if I remember correctly).

Mina01.jpg

Closer
Mina02.jpg

That's the one I wanted to get whilst in Japan, but, the one whilst I was there didn't have see through carrots.

Oh speak of, I am meant to sell one of mine which is in the other pose......

MINA002-1.jpg

The only difference is the carrots are a solid colour. When I was there I didn't see any of the transparent carrot versions. :-/

Anyone want to make me an offer? It's still boxed, never been touched, etc. :-/

Ronok said:
That's the one I wanted to get whilst in Japan, but, the one whilst I was there didn't have see through carrots.

Oh speak of, I am meant to sell one of mine which is in the other pose......

MINA002-1.jpg

The only difference is the carrots are a solid colour. When I was there I didn't see any of the transparent carrot versions. :-/

Anyone want to make me an offer? It's still boxed, never been touched, etc. :-/

Come see me >: D

Omie said:
I pre-ordered them at bigbadtoystore.com as soon as they were announced. I got them last week but I was pissed off that I didn't get them sooner because I saw them at a collectors toy store at my local mall before I had them...gRrr...

ah, BBTS, thanks for reminding me of that site. Used to buy there a LOT

Those NECA Castlevania and RE figures take the cake. Except for the girly Alucard. I would have preferred some Trevor Belmont scult but that's what series 2 is for.

Enron

Banned
I have a small collection of vintage japanese toys, to go along with my slightly larger collection of gundam and macross. I used to keep a few out and about in college, so as not to look TOO nerdy but I stopped doing gundam kits in 2002 and put all that shit in the closet, at least until i can get a bigger place.

Enron

Banned
Linkzg said:
I dont really mind it too much, im glad 00 atleast has some good looking mechs because I dont own a single seed model.

I do own like 5 different version of the RX-78.

and I wish they would put out a Perfec Grade Alex or Sazabi, I want them so bad.

I bought the MG Sazabi when it was released in 2000. What a piece of shit that kit was. It was more like a giant HG.

Part of my collection I have several wolverine busts, but they are in storage right now.
xBerserkerCollection1.jpg

Handmade Kodama's from Clay (made by my GF)

Wolverine Model I put together and painted

Apharmd

Enron said:
I bought the MG Sazabi when it was released in 2000. What a piece of shit that kit was. It was more like a giant HG.

yeah, though Patchwork made a resin conversion kit for the Sazabi that made it look like a fucking monster. A lot of subtle touches adding up to become pure awesome.

Generally if anyone's looking to purchase a new Master Grade/00 kit, check out www.dalong.net for detailed photo reviews. the site is in korean, but the images are universal.

I dont have any video game/anime stuff but I have a pretty big art toy collection. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

I saw some pics of some labbits in this thread; are there any other big labbit/dunny art toy fans here?

Jake.

Comfort_Eagle said:
I dont have any video game/anime stuff but I have a pretty big art toy collection. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

I saw some pics of some labbits in this thread; are there any other big labbit/dunny art toy fans here?

calling dunny's or anything by kidrobot 'art toys' is a fucking joke. i have collected japanese vinyl (secret base, bounty hunter, realxhead) for a while. the only decent western stuff is kaws' (early stuff is amazing, latest stuff sucks), biskup and kozik.

Fuzzery

iapetus said:
My guess is that it's something to do with the fact that Psyduck is awesome, whereas Pikachu is a nasty yellow rat. Over 50 Psyducks? That's impressive. All different, or with duplicates? Haven't been able to find more than the ones in that picture in the UK. :(

I do have a Pikachu necktie, but only because they don't do Psyduck ones.
I'm not sure if there are any duplicates, probably? But he's very rich, and lives in the U.S., so it's possible that he has found a lot of different ones.

Flo

Takuan said:
8e945zl.jpg

Who's the sabre-rattling lady, and where did you get the piggy and Zim toys?
That's Mitsuru from Persona 3.

The piggy came from ebay, I think it came with the limited Japanese Monster Hunter 2. I believe you can still find them. You can take its suit off, very cute and fluffy.

And the zim ones I got a video store here for next to nothing. I have Zim and Gir, my bf has Dib and Gaz.

kiryogi

Banned
YAY! Just got my Etrian Odyssey Medic today, I've been waiting for to get her for quite a while. If there's one thing I really treasure in PVC collecting, it's collecting rare or unique series PVCs such as Princess Crown or Etrian. Also unique ones like the Zero Mission Samus, since there really isn't any other decent Samus figures out there. Also got my set of FFT figures in today!

seikaimedic.png

Dali

Flo said:
That's Mitsuru from Persona 3.

The piggy came from ebay, I think it came with the limited Japanese Monster Hunter 2. I believe you can still find them. You can take its suit off, very cute and fluffy.

And the zim ones I got a video store here for next to nothing. I have Zim and Gir, my bf has Dib and Gaz.

You sure? It looks like Amy from Soul Calibur 3.

Dali

Flo said:
Pretty sure :)
6ypkgmr.png

animepaperscanssoulcalibururotsukid.jpg

:lol

Guess you're right. I haven't played SC3 in a while, but Amy is really really diminutive and uses a sabre. I couldn't remember what her clothes looked like. She's close though, right... right?

Flo

Dali said:

Guess you're right. I haven't played SC3 in a while, but Amy is really really diminutive and uses a sabre. I couldn't remember what her clothes looked like. She's close though, right... right?
She has .. red hair and its.. kinda long..

Dali

Flo said:
She has .. red hair and its.. kinda long..

Bubububut they both have swords... and crap around their necks... and skirts. They are like twins. Almost indistinguishable.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom