• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gen V - Season 1 | First Look Trailer (The Boys Spin-Off)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

"Set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (run by Vought International), Gen V explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the school’s top ranking."

Last edited:
I like it, only seen the first episode. But the main char's powers are stupid as hell. Control blood as she pushes over some garbage bins.
She's an R-rated bloodbender who trying hard to hold back and be a hero. Bloodbending in itself is a terrifying power and it was even scary to behold in a PG-13 cartoon.

528812dcb7ccc67084347278f71ac8a6de8ebb8b.gifv
e0afa8a6d6a746f9e5c04ec7f6e8b09d.gif

I can only imagine how bad it can be in The Boys universe.

I saw all 3 episodes... I like the mystery... Even though we know it's Vought.
I think the mystery is less 'who dunit' and more 'how are they doing it?' when it comes to this show and Vought. This show could be the type of show that will answer a ton of questions your average 'youtuber episodic analysis guy' would ask about a lot of stuff that was shown in The Boys, especially season 2 with lamplighter and the asylum.

There's a vast amount of lore that can be filled in here while telling a fun story.

jason10mm

Gold Member
She's an R-rated bloodbender who trying hard to hold back and be a hero. Bloodbending in itself is a terrifying power and it was even scary to behold in a PG-13 cartoon.

528812dcb7ccc67084347278f71ac8a6de8ebb8b.gifv
e0afa8a6d6a746f9e5c04ec7f6e8b09d.gif

I can only imagine how bad it can be in The Boys universe.
"Bloodbending"? That seems like a ridiculously specific power set versus water, iron, or something else specific IN THE BLOOD.

Though it would be AWESOME if a sickle cell or thalassemic person, chronically anemic, could defeat her :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
God grief, that first ep was fucked up. Yep, it's The Boys!

Pretty sure that was the first erect penis I've seen on TV as well, it weirdly echoes a similar scene but with a woman getting stimulated to orgasm by a tiny man that I saw on USA Up all Night waaaaaaaay back in the day. Shrinking Girl is fit, we need more of her.

Naturally this show has the "these supes are HOMICIDAL!!" aspect but still shows the often brutal requirements to keep these walking time bombs off the streets as somehow a bad thing.

Main girl is ok, she is saddled with some cringe ass dialogue, and what poor orphan girl is rocking a fill leather trenchcoat? I question the long term viability of her power that requires her to dump a chunk of her own blood in the process and, as usual, why does she want to fling it at trash cans when the medicinal aspects seem FAR more lucrative and rewarding?

Still, it is what it is, hopefully the boob to cock ratio improves (I'm doubtful) and get past the awful "Hi, I'm your college roomie, do you know pop culture?" stuff and move on to some meaty topics. So far shrinking girl is way in the lead for my attention, she is much more interesting and solid compared to the others.

And JFC Patrick, your dad is ARNIE for fucks sake, hit the gym a bit! Your bastard brother has like 50 pounds of red meat on yah, it's embarassing!

The writing sucks on this, so far it lacks any of "the boys" clever subtlety in addressing social issues. They are just ham-fisting the most obvious stereotypical tropes into every character backstory. Black boy has daddy issues, white boy is crazy school shooter type, white girl's power is her eating disorder, black girl has a less marketable power so suffers prejudice. This is like real bottom of the barrel imagination.

But it really lost me with the Asian American dad refusing to accept his gender-transforming child when they turn into a woman. It just makes no sense, it's like someone born in the 80's remembers hearing that Asian's wanted sons and thinks it's somehow going to make for an interesting hot-topic social issue in 2023.

I want a show about how fucked up it would be to have kids with superpowers, not a show where the superpowers are just metaphors for social issues, which sort of just makes it the same as every other teen TV show.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, i'm not that far into it but seems to me a FAR more "The Boys" type character would be a gender swapping being that ruthlessly exploits being a woman when convenient (getting laid, getting free drinks, not getting hit in an argument) but has hyper masculine times as well (switches to a dude post sex and mocking the guy saying "guess you gay now!", showers in the girls room, stuff like that) as a more polarized example of 'the worst' aspects of both genders. Instead it is kinda androgynous.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Finished the first 3 episodes. I think it's good and will finish the season. The roommate though haha ... she goes from dick hugger/ball kicker in episode 1 to mortal kombat ear canal fatality in episode 3. She's carrying the show at this point.

Top Bottom