• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genesis Shadow Dancer - pre-release TITLE SCREEN!

doncale

Banned
I have always wondered WHY the title screen of Genesis/Megadrive Shadow Dancer
looked different from the Shadow Dancer title screen seen in magazines before its release.
the pre-release title screen looked so much cooler, IMO.

title screen of released Shadow Dancer we are all familar with:

TitleScreen.gif

the much cooler looking pre-release title screen:

28k1s

28k12

I appologize for my blurry-ass picture from my digital camera. I am no photographer :)

the re-release picture of Genesis/Megadrive Shadow Dancer is from EGM Number 13 - August 1990 (Strider on the cover) page 26..

doncale - seriously, please learn to post the SINGLE BEST picture of whatever you're trying to show us. This multiple redundancy has got to stop!

doncale

Banned
i *knew* someone would ask if that was the arcade title screen. both of those are Genesis/Megadrive title screens. the colorful one was replaced with the bland one.

the System 18 coin-op arcade Shadow Dancer title screen is:

TitleScreen.gif

XS+

Banned
Haha, I almost forgot how completely useless Sendai-era EGM's written articles were.
doncale said:
I have always wondered WHY the title screen of Genesis/Megadrive Shadow Dancer
looked different from the Shadow Dancer title screen seen in magazines before its release.
I dunno, but maybe it's for the same reason Sonic 2's title screen went through 2 or 3 revisions. It does look better much better than the released version though (the 'Shadow Dancer' logo is nicer too).

john tv

Is the Japanese version the same? Maybe they just changed it to shit for the U.S. version, like everything else back in those days?

doncale

Banned
i checked like 3 or 4 years ago. the (released) japanese megadrive SD has the same drab title screen as the U.S. version. i havent bothered checking out the euro/pal version of SD but i'm certain it is the same.

nitewulf

use "macro" focus. read the manual, there should be a button. turn on all the room lights, then hold the camera above the page, zoom in on the picture, take your time till the camera focuses, and shoot.

edit: and yeah, the pre-release screen looks MUCH better, not just the colors, the overall graphical quality seems to be MUCH better.

hell are you sure a late 80's genesis game could do that?

This is easily on par with the changing of shirt colors in Street of Rage 3. Remember, from white to yellow? And didn't Sega even give a stupid reason, like white was more violent?

doncale

Banned
use "macro" focus. read the manual, there should be a button. turn on all the room lights, then hold the camera above the page, zoom in on the picture, take your time till the camera focuses, and shoot.

thanks for the photo tips. i will try those today and if i like the results, i will apply them to all future pictures i post here.

edit: and yeah, the pre-release screen looks MUCH better, not just the colors, the overall graphical quality seems to be MUCH better.

yup, yup.

hell are you sure a late 80's genesis game could do that?

arcade shadow dancer was late 80s, it released in '89. but md/genesis shadow dancer released in fall 1990. i suppose sega could've started it in late '89. the colors in game in person are totally genesis. 64 colors. magazine photos often make games look better, and more colorful, than they do in motion, in person.

Top Bottom