• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get ready for Polar Vortex 2: Vortex harder (thanks Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dangerous Arctic Air roaring into US
The coldest weather of the season is barreling into the U.S. this week with a series of "dangerously cold" arctic air masses.

The blasts of cold air will send temperatures 10-35 degrees below average for early January, Weather Channel meteorologist Roy Lucksinger said. High temperatures will range from near zero to the teens and 20s across a wide swath of the country.

The chilly weather will rival last year's January arctic outbreak that introduced the phrase "polar vortex" to America, he said.
How is the weather at your place? Chicago dipped below 0 this morning.

I heard a podcast with the director of Gasland (the documentary about Fracking) who said that man made omissions have caused temperatures to go above 1% globally. If we hit 2% it's going to be a lot, lot, lot worse.

If it does get worse, will it only get hotter, or will there be extreme cold climate storms and such like these? I don't understand how rising the temperatures can make it more extremely cold in other places. What gives?

I heard a podcast with the director of Gasland (the documentary about Fracking) who said that man made omissions have caused temperatures to go above 1% globally. If we hit 2% it's going to be a lot, lot, lot worse.

If it does get worse, will it only get hotter, or will there be extreme cold climate storms and such like these? I don't understand how rising the temperatures can make it more extremely cold in other places. What gives?

Not an expert by any means, but imagine the rising global temperature destabilizing the typical weather balance.

ChaosXVI

My understanding of climate change is that in the short term, it will lead to more erratic weather. Such as brutal winters, as well as unusually mild winters, both of which we've had the last few years, as well as brutal/unusually mild summers. Summer of 2012 I recall temps of 95+ for the majority of that summer in Illinois, which is unusual, and the preceding Winter was unusually warm as well.

Long term though, it's going to get hot. Very hot.

EDIT: When I say "we" had unusually brutal/mild weather, I'm referring to Illinois and the general Midwest.

adj_noun

Fox News to begin using this as evidence global warming is a hoax in 3...2...1...

That kind of thing was just on Celebrity Apprentice.

Gilbert Gottfried: Can we go inside? It's freezing out here!

Donald Trump: Gilbert, you believe in global warming, right?

Gilbert: Yes.

Donald Trump: Then how come you're freezing your ass off?

These polar vortexes don't really have much to do with climate change, it's actually the usual weather pattern for the northern United States. We had about 3 decades of unseasonably warm winters following the 1970s, but if you go back and look at old temperature records from the time they started being kept until the 1960s-70s you'll see that most American winters have this type of chill.

That's the reason we have all the stories of early European settlers struggling during the winters here, it was way colder than what they were used to in Europe.

Norfair

Currently -6° F here in Wisconsin. Up 3 degrees from this morning. I think we're supposed to get 2 or 3 inches of snow over night and the temperature isn't going to warm up any. Really not looking forward to shoveling it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
forecast looks normal for this time of year here in PA , maybe a bit too warm. Jan and Feb are ususally the balls cold months.

Polar Vortex? wtf its winter.

Currently -6° F here in Wisconsin. Up 3 degrees from this morning. I think we're supposed to get 2 or 3 inches of snow over night and the temperature isn't going to warm up any. Really not looking forward to shoveling it.
If it's gonna be this cold here I want snow >_<!

It's -8 here in Oshkosh,WI feels like -26. Damn...

A tip for folks with garages. Make sure you sprinkle the door area with lots of salt, so that the door does not jam with ice on the ground and snap your motor cog. Happened to me during last polar vortex.

MikeRahl

In Manitoba.

Was -47C with the wind Yesterday, up to a balmy -37C or so this morning.

Actually had to wake up early to plug the wife's car in before she headed to work.

This is on top of a nice dump of snow over the weekend.

ChaosXVI

Wednesday is when it's supposed to really hit the fan here in IL, I got a forecast of -2 for the high...don't even want to know how bad it'll be over night, hopefully my car's battery can take it.

andycapps

Looks like we're getting 3-5 inches tonight in Columbus, OH. It's currently 12F, but the low tonight will be 18F. Wednesday is when it gets fun, high of 14F and low of -2F with 15 MPH winds.

I'd really like to see the UK weather thread if they got this kind of cold.

RustyNails said:
A tip for folks with garages. Make sure you sprinkle the door area with lots of salt, so that the door does not jam with ice on the ground and snap your motor cog. Happened to me during last polar vortex.

That's a good tip, I've knocked it loose a couple times with a snow shovel in the past.

shoplifter

Looks like we're getting 3-5 inches tonight in Columbus, OH. It's currently 12F, but the low tonight will be 18F. Wednesday is when it gets fun, high of 14F and low of -2F with 15 MPH winds.

I've seen as low as -7 on the forecast for Wednesday. I'm not happy. 670 is going to be a disaster in the morning.

So I guess this is mainly affecting the northern states in the mid/lakes region? Temps in NJ are going down to 20s and 30s but that's normal for this time of year.

joelseph

I got my car back in front of my house, my shovel is ready. Just need to break out the lawn chairs to hold my spot when I need to leave.

Not that bad in MD right now (39*). Supposed to drop to 26 on Thursday but that looks like the worst of it for the next week or so.

LakeEarth

Couldn't get my car doors to unlock this morning, that was fun. The actual manual lock to get in was busted by someone trying (but failing) to break in, so I have to rely on the electronics, but the locks were too frozen.

Luckily, the one on the passenger side slightly unlocked the more I tried until it finally could be opened. I probably unlocked the doors 100 times before it got to that point, though.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I'd really like to see the UK weather thread if they got this kind of cold.

The coldest I remember is -12C a year or 2 ago. I'm in the south so it would have been a bit colder up north. That fucked things up royally for a while with our usual excuse of "it's not worth spending money on resources cos it never gets cold enough" and everyone laughing at us because planes can't take off and trains won't move.

We don't even need a forecast with temperatures in the negative double digits before the media are promising us weeks of weather misery and every shop sells out of bread and milk.

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
Wednesday will be the worst day here in south-central KY. The high will hit 18 that morning and drop throughout the day. The current forecast for the low is 2.

I bought an extra space heater yesterday to keep the main heater fom running too much. We recently had to have the compressor in our central heat and air replaced, so we don't want to put too much strain on it.

Please. Floridians bust out North Face parkas when it's 60 °F.
I was in Disney World last January and people were wearing heavy winter coats when it was 70F out. Here I was in shorts and a t-shirt looking out of place in Disney.

I had just come from PA where there was snow on the ground and it was bitterly cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom