• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your hdloader fast if you want it: Sony issues C&D

bheemer

I just received word via phone today that $ony is now sending C&D letters complete with their legal team contacts to US-based Web sites selling HD Loader! As a result, some sites have already pulled the product while one site we are aware of is attempting to fight it. At this point in time there is no comment from the official HD Loader site

http://www.ps2ownz.com/http://www.ps2ownz.com/

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Somebody PM me sites that sell this... I haven't even picked up my HD yet but for when I do....

Mairu said:
Oh no! That means we'll have to get it from HK sites! OH NO!

Are you sure we'll still be able to get it from HK sites? I don't think Lik-Sang carries it.

I MUST get one, but I'd rather delay buying it as much as possible since I don't have a working PS2 right now (plan on buying one later this year), and I thought waiting would be a good idea since they might release an updated version or something. Looks like I have to bite the bullet and get it now. What sites still sell it?

IJoel

DarienA said:
Somebody PM me sites that sell this... I haven't even picked up my HD yet but for when I do....

I ordered mine at Divineo.com and received the tracking number last night. It took them more than a week to process the order. I can update on the status of my order once I receive it, which should be tomorrow.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
adelgary said:
Are you sure we'll still be able to get it from HK sites? I don't think Lik-Sang carries it.

No, but another very success-ful HK .com business just recently started stocking it.

Rockman

Can't buy it? Download it then. Get yourself a mod like the dms3 and run it off the mem card. No disc needed.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
MoxManiac said:
And look at the price! Is the place in question reliable?

Yeah, they've been around in one form or another since the 16-bit days -- highly reputable source of occasionally disreputable goods.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah well, I'd rather not tempt myself to pirate any PS2 games...

I already own over 70 titles, so I take pride in my PS2 collection. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, this was just the matter of days. Good thing mine has been shipped as of last night. However, even this C&D is probably too late. There are solutions available for free download now that not only let you run this on modded PS2, but also on the unmodded one (if you buy Sega's Crazy Taxi, that is). So that's not a problem.'

The problem, however, is that almost certainly none of the upcoming games will be installable with this, and there's even the possibility that it won't even run if you have HDD with installed games in your machine. The real problem is that now we might never get any updates to this loader, and be stuck with already released games that can be installed... which is not good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, now that it can be donwloaded for free, I don't see why anyone with modchip shouldn't get it...

On the other hand, one line of code can save someone's game from easy rental-piracy, and I'd expect everyone to add that line before the game is shipped :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think so. Just make a code in your game that on the bootup checks the hard drive, and looks for some kind of system file that HDLoader must have somewhere. If found, the game can just stop loading.

Btw, news update at PS2ownz:

Update: We received a bit more info on this from a victim who does not want to be identified as it could adversely affect his case, but he informed us that these are actual complaints the attorneys for $ony filed in California Federal Court! This goes way beyond what has happened in the past as they are no longer happy with offenders simply shutting down and signing something (C&D) saying you'll never do it again. It appears $ony is now going for damages and more in some cases!

Ouch...

I haven't been paying as much attention as I should have to this HDloader thing, but know I'm thinking about buying it. Can anyone recommend a good larger sized hard drive that's fully compatible with the PS2?

Fusebox

Banned
It must do - someone has put up ads for it around Nth Sydney. No price though and just a local phone number to contact.

Top Bottom