• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright alright alright I'm getting this out there:

celsius is a better scale for science, nobody disputes this

HOWEVER

farenheit is undoubtedly better for the weather. 0 F is really cold, 100 F is really hot. 0 C is kinda cold, and 100 C is death. It's better suited to the outdoors than Celsius is.

jgminto

HOWEVER

farenheit is undoubtedly better for the weather. 0 F is really cold, 100 F is really hot. 0 C is kinda cold, and 100 C is death. It's better suited to the outdoors than Celsius is.

Who needs a hundred scale for temp though? All you need to know is if it's in the 10s or below it's cold, if it's 30 or higher it's hot and if it's in the 20s you've got it good.

Is Jeff going to EVO this year? I remember him mentioning that he's always too burned out from E3 to go, but I feel like it's something he'd especially enjoy, and Dave Lang can probably hook him up with passes.

HOWEVER

-30 is really cold
+30 is really hot

Celsius wins again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Heat tolerance for each individual is wholly subjective anyway. Best way to measure temp is to have one standard to judge things by, in this case the freezing and boiling point of water.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Heat tolerance for each individual is wholly subjective anyway. Best way to measure temp is to have one standard to judge things by, in this case the freezing and boiling point of water.

We have that. 32 and 212. Scientists are smart, they can do the math. Fahrenheit is far more useful for people for day to day uses.

hamchan

HOWEVER

That's a bad argument because people who grew up with Celsius know what the different numbers mean and how it feels to them too. The "far more useful" argument people like to use for Fahrenheit is nonsense.

0F for "really cold" and 100F for "really hot" are the ones that sound arbitrary to me.

Anyways, if the world has already reached a consensus that Celsius is better for science then it's a waste of time to learn two different scales and everyone should just use Celsius.

Antiwhippy

We have that. 32 and 212. Scientists are smart, they can do the math. Fahrenheit is far more useful for people for day to day uses.

Like... how?

FTR people here tend to think that 0'C is very cold, and having used to live in a tropical country, anything below 10'C is very cold for people living there, so I dunno how you can use Fahrenheit or anything really as a measure for everyone to judge how hot or cold they are.

That's a bad argument because people who grew up with Celsius know what the different numbers mean and how it feels to them too. The "far more useful" argument people like to use for Fahrenheit is nonsense.

0F for "really cold" and 100F for "really hot" are the ones that sound arbitrary to me.

Anyways, if the world has already reached a consensus that Celsius is better for science then it's a waste of time to learn two different scales and everyone should just use Celsius.

But like, 0 and 100 are pretty common numbers to use for scales.

Like... how?

FTR people here tend to think that 0'C is very cold, and having used to live in a tropical country, anything below 10'C is very cold for people living there, so I dunno how you can use Fahrenheit or anything really as a measure for everyone to judge how hot or cold they are.

The 1-100 scale is easier for people to understand. If shit is 100 outside, it's hot as fuck, if it's a single degree (1) it's cold as fuck. When the temp is usually around 1-100 degrees at any given time the scale makes more sense.

Antiwhippy

Yeah look, I don't even know what you mean when you say it's a 100'F hot.

Meanwhile, I know how hot boiling water is, so I can judge myself off that.

Do temperatures in the US actually reach 0F or 100F commonly enough for numbers that separated to matter?

Yeah, the southern part of the US reaches 100F all the time, Arizona is a 100F+ every day off the week during the summer, but places like Alaska and the northern US reach 0F or below during winter routinely.

As long as you understand the basic premise of 1 being cold and getting hotter as you go up, it's really easy to understand. I don't need to know if what the temperature outside in relation to the boiling point of water, I just need to know where it is on a scale of 1-100.

hamchan

You guys are acting as if it's a huge struggle for the rest of the world to relate Celcius numbers to it being really hot or cold outside.

You guys are acting as if it's a huge struggle for the rest of the world to relate Celcius numbers to it being really hot or cold outside.

It's not, it just depends on what you're used to, alls I'm saying is the 1-100 scale is easier to understand if you have no real knowledge of either, the logic is more understandable if you will, neither is more right than the other, just a matter of prespective.

What's the difference between 70 and 65 in Fahrenheit? Is that even discernible by the average person? Can you walk outside in the afternoon and say, with confidence, what the weather is to the single digit? You can with celsius.

justjim89

I live in Indiana, right in the middle of the country, and winters get 0 and below regularly and summers get 100 and above regularly. Having a scale of that many degrees is useful for as varied as the seasons are. Especially because in the midwest the weather is sporadic as fuck. I've literally had days warm enough to wear shorts in the morning and cold enough to require heavy coats by evening.

It's not, it just depends on what you're used to, alls I'm saying is the 1-100 scale is easier to understand if you have no real knowledge of either, the logic is more understandable if you will, neither is more right than the other, just a matter of prespective.

But the Fahrenheit isn't some kind of magical 0-100 scale. It's not like it's never colder than 0F or hotter than 100F.

And as a science person it makes a lot more sense for cold weathers to be negative and warm weathers to be positive.

What's the difference between 70 and 65 in Fahrenheit? Is that even discernible by the average person? Can you walk outside in the afternoon and say, with confidence, what the weather is to the single digit? You can with celsius.

I think this better highlights my confusion. My wording was a bit poor. It's a lot more about how the numbers scale than the raw distance between them. Each five degrees C from 0 to 30 feels like a notably different stage of weather making each degree matter.

Yeah, that conversion from 65 to 18 and 70 to 21 makes a real head scratcher into a piece of cake.

But the Fahrenheit isn't some kind of magical 0-100 scale. It's not like it's never colder than 0F or hotter than 100F.

And as a science person it makes a lot more sense for cold weathers to be negative and warm weathers to be positive.

True, but the majority of weather in the US falls in the 1-100 range. The Celsius scale is only used in temperature so there isn't a basis to compare it to like 1-100 scale. Now if we went by Giantbomb standards it would end all this confusion, today would be a Alex Navaro 4 star review outside.

justjim89

Dan calling American measurements "real" whilst simultaneously acknowledging the rest of the world's systems probably make a lot more sense is the very essence of Dan's patriotism distilled into a single sentence.

True, but the majority of weather in the US falls in the 1-100 range. The Celsius scale is only used in temperature so there isn't a basis to compare it to like 1-100 scale. Now if we went by Giantbomb standards it would end all this confusion, today would be a Alex Navaro 4 star review outside.

Yeah I can definitely get behind the star based system.

Brad's lizard fetish in this Breaking Brad for Demon Souls is the only thing keeping me from going insane writing this final paper at 2 AM.

Thanks Giant Bomb.

justjim89

The Dan and Drew monkey conversation might be in my top five favorite Giant Bomb moments now, holy shit. Dan's reactions were priceless.

I found out how to make my downsampling settings available in Nvidia control panel

ive gone mad with power, im turning everything past like two years old in my library up to 4k and learning very quickly how much that messes with text size and my mouse size in many games

Drew please for the sake of my sanity stop running around and start crouch walking.

After he played around with the playboy, he almost started to walk out of the room. I was SCREAMING but then he went back and got the rebel outfit. I was so worried he would leave without it.

It took 20 minutes for them to start a Rocket League game on the stream archive.

They haven't even matched up yet.

EDIT: Oh good it only took roughly 28 minutes and 30 seconds to finally start a private match.

I've been skipping around on MGScanlon4 for the past half hour.

I don't understand how they don't understand the threat ring. It's sort of a weird way to represent your surroundings, but it makes sense if you just stop and pay attention to it.

Of course I'm sure they figure this out in a part I didn't watch, so feel free to disregard this.

I've been skipping around on MGScanlon4 for the past half hour.

I don't understand how they don't understand the threat ring. It's sort of a weird way to represent your surroundings, but it makes sense if you just stop and pay attention to it.

Of course I'm sure they figure this out in a part I didn't watch, so feel free to disregard this.

They kinda did figure it out in the tunnels, drew was like 'Oh does that tell you where they are during the caution'. Or maybe it was 'Does that tell you you're on caution'. I dunno.

Except those are rare occasions and when they do come up it highlights what a big deal it is. And you can generally tell a difference of 10 degrees pretty quickly. Here, let me break it down:

-20° Fuck this shit
-10° Ah jesus fuck
0° God fucking damnit
10° Fuckity fuck fuck
20° Fucking goddamn
30° Pretty fucking cold, damnit
40° A bit fuckin' nippy, eh?
50° Not that fuckin' bad
60° Pretty fuckin' unremarkable
70° Fuckin' alright
80° Fucking perfect
90° A bit fuckin warm, eh?
100° Fuckin' hell it's hot
110° Are you fuckin kidding me
120° I'm fucking baking alive here

Hope that helps.

This Rocket League video.

293344f48efe539b968f7883b2585494bf7426c9d092c7af894a1efd0b14aba4.jpg

Except those are rare occasions and when they do come up it highlights what a big deal it is.
We can go weeks here with the temperature below 0F during the winter.

I mean the goal is to have one system in use globally (hence the whole discussion about metric/imperial system), so "well that's pretty rare in the US" is not a very good excuse.

We can go weeks here with the temperature below 0F during the winter.

Which only highlights one of two things 1) that you live in a crummy place where human beings shouldn't live, much like Arizona. 2) It's fucking cold! Bundle up! Don't be stupid! Shit's dangerous!

I mean the goal is to have one system in use globally (hence the whole discussion about metric/imperial system), so "well that's pretty rare in the US" is not a very good excuse.

Well imperial's just better. Sorry. With metrics you're memorizing all this demi and ceni and nonsense magnification where everything just goes up by 10s and that doesn't help anyone! A mile? 5280 feet, which means it'll take 5,280 steps, so about 20-25 minutes depending on your pace. Handy information to have!

Well imperial's just better. Sorry. With metrics you're memorizing all this demi and ceni and nonsense magnification where everything just goes up by 10s and that doesn't help anyone! A mile? 5280 feet, which means it'll take 5,280 steps, so about 20-25 minutes depending on your pace. Handy information to have!

Ok you won me over, I will start using imperial from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom