• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Things Drew would probably benefit from in MGS4:
-10000% more crouch walking
-Going easy on inventory slots to reduce stress build up and psyche drain
-Utilizing Solid Eye for more than NV, specifically for spotting items/enemies
-Understanding he's on the rebel's side by default
-Understanding the threat ring (sitting still and crouching to see enemy movement)
-Codec

He's doing decently so far, but it's unfortunate to see him skip over large areas by running and burning through rations.

Actually hugging walls would also help. Something he kinda never learned.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Eh, watching Drew be terrible at the game is part of the charm of MGScanlon. It makes the parts where he does well all the more surprising and entertaining.

Xater

Eh, watching Drew be terrible at the game is part of the charm of MGScanlon. It makes the parts where he does well all the more surprising and entertaining.

I have fun watching it, I am more fascinate by how some people are unable to learn some very basic things.

so is the hookah in this game supposed to be a bong but they couldn't get a bong for some reason?

or is this guy just smoking a hookah down by the river for no real reason

e: they just said it was a hookah, honestly that's probably weirder

I think MGScanlon 4 will be more hilarious due to Dan's lack of knowledge of it. Not one bit of info he has given to Drew in these two episodes has been correct.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Drew seems to lack an overall awareness of stuff in nearly every game (simulators not included) I've seen him play. I agree it's part of the fun, though it means more gameplay-heavy sections can be more tedious to watch.

Things Drew would probably benefit from in MGS4:
-10000% more crouch walking
-Going easy on inventory slots to reduce stress build up and psyche drain
-Utilizing Solid Eye for more than NV, specifically for spotting items/enemies
-Understanding he's on the rebel's side by default
-Understanding the threat ring (sitting still and crouching to see enemy movement)
-Codec

He's doing decently so far, but it's unfortunate to see him skip over large areas by running and burning through rations.

He absolutely needs to start using the codec. He hasn't made a single call. it would really help with some of the confusion and fill some story gaps.

KingKong

open your eyes people

DEOEykO.png
3vXA9Qh.png

Fist episode of Season 2 of Austin's tabletop RPG podcast came out yesterday. It's character creation for an anime-style Mech story. Everything but the last 2 minutes is them building the characters, but I think it's a pretty good listen.

I really like the first season, which was a fantasy story. The podcast is called Friends at the Table, and you all should listen. I wish it had a place on the site, like 8-4.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Drew seems to lack an overall awareness of stuff in nearly every game (simulators not included) I've seen him play. I agree it's part of the fun, though it means more gameplay-heavy sections can be more tedious to watch.

I guess I just have a higher tolerance for that kind of thing... to me it's just plain funny.

EDIT: Not to say I don't see where you're coming from. I can definitely get frustrated watching someone I know play a game in front of me and miss obvious things. But watching that happen in the context of an internet video series with strangers, my backseat driver instincts just don't bother to kick in.

Fist episode of Season 2 of Austin's tabletop RPG podcast came out yesterday. It's character creation for an anime-style Mech story. Everything but the last 2 minutes is them building the characters, but I think it's a pretty good listen.

I really like the first season, which was a fantasy story. The podcast is called Friends at the Table, and you all should listen. I wish it had a place on the site, like 8-4.

I wonder if he'll invite V-BOMB on this sometime in the future.

ultron87

I started listening to the couple episodes of the first season from the beginning recently. I'm really interested to see how Austin's DM style works, since I've never done much of the collaborative world building style of game. My game have always been in existing settings. Only thing holding me back is the sound quality from a few of the players is real rough, does that improve at all?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I guess I just have a higher tolerance for that kind of thing... to me it's just plain funny.

EDIT: Not to say I don't see where you're coming from. I can definitely get frustrated watching someone I know play a game in front of me and miss obvious things. But watching that happen in the context of an internet video series with strangers, my backseat driver instincts just don't bother to kick in.

It doesn't frustrate or bother me, I just notice it. I still enjoy the series, and a lot of the fun and best moments come from watching him fail and fail and then succeed. Maybe it's more noticeable because Drew is a smart guy and you'd expect him to have this observant, methodical approach to a game like MGS that he just doesn't have, even 4 games into the series.

I started listening to the couple episodes of the first season from the beginning recently. I'm really interested to see how Austin's DM style works, since I've never done much of the collaborative world building style of game. My game have always been in existing settings. Only thing holding me back is the sound quality from a few of the players is real rough, does that improve at all?

Sound quality DEFINITELY improves. Listen to the first episode of season 2 for a few minutes (different story, doesn't spoil S1 at all) and you'll be able to see where they end up. Not sure how long it takes, and there are occasional hiccups, but it gets way better.

Cyros

Anime & Mechs you say? I should really get through season 1.

popo

I am glad they took Unplugged around back and put it out of it's misery. Any official comment on dropping it?

Also I value Celcius most because it tells me the only vital bit of info I really need about the weather. Below zero and watch out for icy roads. The rest I can work out by opening a window. "Below 32 degrees" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Also I value Celcius most because it tells me the only vital bit of info I really need about the weather. Below zero and watch out for icy roads. The rest I can work out by opening a window. "Below 32 degrees" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

To be fair we usually say below freezing.

justjim89

Unplugged just needs a better DM and perhaps a bit more commitment to staying in character for the guys. Them just half-scoffing at the whole thing while Rorie looks things up in the manual isn't terribly engaging.

And I wholeheartedly agree that we need an Endurance Run of Contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom