• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawsd

I don't think they've made an open world Batman game which I'd describe as "good". The last three Batmens have been mediocre at best games due mostly to their terrible open worlds.

I couldn't disagree more. Even if I'm not in love with the open world, I do think there are certain aspects of it that are very well done. After replaying Asylum last year I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh. Freeflow and predator gameplay all feels so simple and barebones compared to the sequels. Traversing Asylum is also tedious since so much of it is done through vents and corridor after corridor. I still thought it was a great game but it definitely made me appreciate how well they evolved the series with Arkham City.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't really see how gliding is any less tedious than crawling through vents. I'd argue it's more tedious because there's so much more of it because they made the game bigger in scope without any payoffs for that size. If the games were a series of briefings from the Batcave followed by a loading screen and you're in, they would have been far improved experiences. That's how awful I feel the open worlds in those games are.

Lijik

are we talkin vaporwave in here
tumblr_n6wq49phkC1qejutxo2_400.png

I bought it. I figure it's a game that I'm getting everything there is to get from watching the series on GB. I'd like to show my appreciation even though I probably won't play it myself.

Frenden

Banned
For sure. I bought it this AM after planning on buying it earlier in the week but succumbing to weakness during EVO and buying MKX, SFV, and a fightstick.

Even if I never play it (and I might), I'll definitely watch the GB streams and get more value than if I'd tossed $10 away at the movies.

Have the contradiction developers talked about a sales boost at all? Judging from the twitter reactions and videos they all seemed pretty hyped up.

VAPE LYFE

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I was thinking of checking out the GB trackmania server - what's the best place to grab the game?

• Metal Gear Solid 4 is a great game.
    [*]Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best Metal Gear Solid.
    [*]The only Metal Gear better than Metal Gear Solid 4 is Metal Gear Rising.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 is a great game.
    [*]Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best Metal Gear Solid.
    [*]The only Metal Gear better than Metal Gear Solid 4 is Metal Gear Rising.

Only one of these things is even a little true. And even that one isn't actually true because of the word only.

Jothel

So far the actual gameplay of MGS4 hasn't seemed... Great? I don't know, maybe it being more open worldy has made it lose a bit of focus, not sure though

Bayo2's highs are the probably the best stuff they've done, but I think MGR is a far more consistent game start to finish. Hard for me to say one is overall better than the other.

I might be biased because I like the pacing of Bayo (2) better. Rapid dodging (with great rewards for dodging perfectly) while moving around dealing out damage. MGR is quick but it's more focused on the parry game. That said the music is so fucking good in MGR.

It's real hard to pick which I like better.
Wonderful 101 has the best plot.

Wow, Drew's expression exactly mirrors my own most of the time I played through MGS4 back in '08. Apathy mixed with befuddlement, and some existential deep-seated disappointment at what was unraveling on screen. MGS4, everybody.

People will do anything to hate on MGS4 it seems. Drew's face in a screenshot at a random moment, he hates it, clearly the worst game ever! Drew's face was like that throughout most of the series while Dan tries to explain how awesome everything on screen is.

I might be biased because I like the pacing of Bayo (2) better. Rapid dodging (with great rewards for dodging perfectly) while moving around dealing out damage. MGR is quick but it's more focused on the parry game. That said the music is so fucking good in MGR.

It's real hard to pick which I like better.
Wonderful 101 has the best plot.

Yeah, Bayo 2's core gameplay is definitely a lot more interesting. Loved some really small but key combat changes they made over Bayo 1 like the the inverse divekick being doable from the ground instead of from the air making it an additional launcher. There are some annoying things playing through it though like characters berating you for not moving ahead fast enough when the levels are designed for exploration.

So far the actual gameplay of MGS4 hasn't seemed... Great? I don't know, maybe it being more open worldy has made it lose a bit of focus, not sure though

The reason for that is that so far in act one there's been maybe 10-15 minutes of actual gameplay. and it's pretty much walking from cutscene to cutscene. I didn't feel like I was actually playing MGS4 until I escaped from the hotel.

Jintor

Yeah, Bayo 2's core gameplay is definitely a lot more interesting. Loved some really small but key combat changes they made over Bayo 1 like the the inverse divekick being doable from the ground instead of from the air making it an additional launcher. There are some annoying things playing through it though like characters berating you for not moving ahead fast enough when the levels are designed for exploration.

I actually like the core gameplay of Bayo 1 a lot more, but the weapon movesets for Bayo 2 are undoubtedly better. (The rebalancing around Umbran Climax was imho a mistake, since you can no longer reliably hitstun/stagger enemies with Weaves which makes them less valuable than raw meter building)

Jothel

The reason for that is that so far in act one there's been maybe 10-15 minutes of actual gameplay. and it's pretty much walking from cutscene to cutscene. I didn't feel like I was actually playing MGS4 until I escaped from the hotel.
So it becomes more of a game later on then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom