• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebetite

Banned
MGS4's gameplay opens up and gets longer and more interesting. Cutscenes also get 10 times longer.

this is true for the next hour or so of gameplay (i.e subtracting cutscenes)

then act 3 starts and gameplay goes right out the window for the rest of the game

metal gear solid 4 is not a great video game

hamchan

Since Drew never liked the playing parts of MGS anyways, he'll enjoy the extremely long movie with bonus gameplay sections that is MGS4.

Zebetite

Banned
But is it a great visual experience?

i mean, you won't find a person who's more down on MGS4's story/cutscenes than me-- i've made some pretty long and nutty posts about how MGS2 is my favorite game narrative and i hold the opinion that MGS4 alone is probably enough to tarnish kojima's legacy-- in the sense that the first three games were weird accidents and he'll never be able to write something as solid (heehee) as MGS1 or 3 again, much less MGS2. lord knows he hasn't done it yet.

but it (as in the story) does have some genuinely great moments, in spite of how bad the narrative holding them together is (and in spite of how barely-a-real-video-game it is). a genuinely good job was done in making the player feel bad about snake's age. the beginning of act 4 moved me to tears (note: i had stayed up all night on the day of MGS4's release and was getting to this point around 8am, not having slept for around 24 hours). the bosses at the end of act 4 and act 5 are extremely cool concepts, if not great as actual boss battles in the traditional MGS sense (spoilers: MGS4 has no bosses anywhere near as good, mechanically speaking, as the ones in the preceding 3 games). there are definitely things to look forward to.

i'd just say that MGS4 is the first MGS game where you're probably better off watching Drew play it than play it yourself.

50hiqln.jpg

I wasn't prepared for this bombcast so now I'm listening to it without playing a video game. i feel like i'm wasting it

It's the opposite for me. When I listen to it while playing video games instead of walking or working out or something similarly mindless, I feel like I'm not paying attention to the show and wasting it.

yooo what

op is still in the oven so i guess i'm reusing an old one? unless you guys are ok with waiting

I would not mind a reuse. i would love it posted as soon as possible as I am sure someone will be annoyed it was posted so early, and that person will be an idiot.

Megasoum

Banned
But but... My phone is not setup to download the premium podcast and I'm lazy...

Hopefully the normal feed will be posted early tomorrow.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd put MGR in the lower tier of Platinum games, honestly. The combat's not as deep as a lot of their other systems and at times it just feels like a 'not as good' Ninja Gaiden Black.

Vanquish and Bayo 2 are neck and neck for no 1

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have enough of a respectable opinion of Jeff to think that he would hate Vaporwave.

He's on the right side of history on this, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom