• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play a pretty fun sport. The equipment can be pretty expensive, but it's free if you have the right hook up. It's sort of a modified version of soccer except we attach jetpacks to remote control cars and the ball is a bomb set to blow up when it crosses the goal line.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah, If all my clubs weren't given to me by family members I would have probably never gotten into it. Just the amount of money I've spent on stuff like balls and tee's and stuff like that is kind of crazy.

Pretty much. I got into it because of family, but it's pretty impossible to keep up on unless you have a lot of time and a lot of money.

I grew up playing a round every week or so of pitch and putt / par 3, sharing my dad's 9 iron and putter from the 70s and golf balls we had mostly found over the years on courses. Then played with a set of clubs from argos (like walmart) throughout my teens. The regular course me and my friends went to was just €5 a round.

But yeah, as soon as you want to join a serious club and play serious golf, you need to start investing a lot more money and time.

I play a pretty fun sport. The equipment can be pretty expensive, but it's free if you have the right hook up. It's sort of a modified version of soccer except we attach jetpacks to remote control cars and the ball is a bomb set to blow up when it crosses the goal line.
Sounds terrible, this will never take off.

I have never played actual golf, but I bought a driver and a bunch of golf balls once, and hit balls from my back garden. It was fun!

I live out in the country, and this what surrounds my place...

aBdsnWe.png

...so i felt okay doing it at the time.

I probably won't do it again,

I grew up playing a round every week or so of pitch and putt / par 3, sharing my dad's 9 iron and putter from the 70s and golf balls we had mostly found over the years on courses. Then played with a set of clubs from argos (like walmart) throughout my teens. The regular course me and my friends went to was just €5 a round.

But yeah, as soon as you want to join a serious club and play serious golf, you need to start investing a lot more money and time.

Courses around me apparently had a big problem with people picking up balls and taking them because all of them around me have always been ridiculously strict about picking up balls. There were a couple holes that went along the back of the driving range so those holes would occasionally have balls around. Whenever we would get there we would just pick up a few and it would pretty much take care of any balls we lost that day. Then they started putting up signs, then they started stationing a worker around that area the entire time. Seems kind of crazy for just a few balls, unless people were going by there and picking up a ton.

I just clicked on the Guild Wars 2 OT kind of at random and it made me want to play that game.

I don't know if I want to go down that MMO rabbit hole right now though. I've never actually played an MMO outside of the free WoW trial.

For some reason I bought GW2 last weekend. I just felt like playing a stupid MMO for a while, and figured with no subscription and the game costing 20€ there's not much to lose. Seems to be perfectly fine, but I doubt I'll be playing it a lot. I was delighted to realize I picked the race voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
We were talking about sport, and when we talk about sport, I thought of Kevin Pietersen and needed to vent.

Alright, fair enough. I can see that sentiment.

You should join us in the ashes thread so that us australians can have another Englishman to gloat over.

Kelas

Courses around me apparently had a big problem with people picking up balls and taking them because all of them around me have always been ridiculously strict about picking up balls. There were a couple holes that went along the back of the driving range so those holes would occasionally have balls around. Whenever we would get there we would just pick up a few and it would pretty much take care of any balls we lost that day. Then they started putting up signs, then they started stationing a worker around that area the entire time. Seems kind of crazy for just a few balls, unless people were going by there and picking up a ton.

Ah that sucks. I suppose if they're range balls, they want to keep them for their stockpile, but range balls were always kinda shitty anyway so I assumed they were cheap to replace.

Finding lost balls always seemed like part of the fun. At the very least it helped make you feel better about looking for your ball in a ditch when you came back with 4 or 5 more. When one of our friends got an extendable ball retriever thing, the ponds and muddy ditches were like a gold mine for balls no one wanted to retrieve.

This is making me want to go play some golf.

Edit: It was always good to find the golf ball standards like a Titleist or Dunlop ddh to add to your collection, but every now and then you'd find a rare Nike ball (dunno if they'd be as rare now) someone spent too much money on, or a ball with some crazy custom print on it.

Xater

Decided to just play Contradiction right now after all and I just finished it. That ending guys. There is some good stuff coming. Also exciting sequel setup. I need that sequel...

kai3345

Banned
Kind of surprising how much they're playing of Contradiction, considering not too long ago they were talking about how they didn't want to completely play through a new released game on camera

Xater

Kind of surprising how much they're playing of Contradiction, considering not too long ago they were talking about how they didn't want to completely play through a new released game on camera

Sometimes things just happen naturally and when they do it's beautiful.

Jintor

god i totally forgot how much mgs4 harps on about the blasted war economy. it's in every second sentence of drebin's monologues. war economy war economy war economy war economy

i seem to remember that konami changed translators at some point. mgs was never incredibly well written moment-to-moment but i kinda feel it actually kinda starts getting annoying in mgs4

well, it's been out on ios for 6 months so that's the technicality being exercised here. Also, unlike an ER this game is being played behind a paygate, exposing less of the game to the general public.

Besides that, it's no longer as frowned upon to do a Let's Play of a new game given the current let's play climate on youtube. Seems devs and pubs have learned that let's plays probably end up boosting sales more than they do to hurt them. So there's that.

Just finished Contradiction after playing it for the past 4-5 hours or so. Really good time ^_^ Glad that giantbomb was able to help bring this game to the attention of people like myself who might've never given it a glance otherwise. Think I'm a fan of the actress who plays Emma too, lol. I like how she's shown appreciation for all the new fans.

god i totally forgot how much mgs4 harps on about the blasted war economy. it's in every second sentence of drebin's monologues. war economy war economy war economy war economy

i seem to remember that konami changed translators at some point. mgs was never incredibly well written moment-to-moment but i kinda feel it actually kinda starts getting annoying in mgs4
I thought that the translator change happened with MGS1.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Have they ever played Saturday Night Slam Masters on video? Can't find anything. But that game is pretty much made for them.

Patryn

Really? I wanted to ask about it as soon as I saw the
broken window.
It was so obvious for me.

Endgame Contradiction spoilers:
I had totally forgotten about the window, and if you go back to the area, you're never really given a chance to focus in on the window itself. For whatever reason the tape had never really registered as important to me.

Am I imagining things or has there been A LOT more Contradiction coverage around the internet since the QL?

it sort of reminds me of what happened with Persona 4. While GB doesn't deserve the full credit for its sudden popularity they're definitely part of the growing zeitgeist surrounding the game.

demidar

I've always wondered about the impact Giant Bomb had on the Persona series.

I've never even heard of it (and the greater Shin Megami Tensei continuity) before they did an Endurance Run of it.

I don't understand what the translator has to do with Kojima constantly reiterating a point until drool is just pouring out of your mouth into a bucket that's overflowing. The only thing i feel they could've updated is "this is a sneaking missions" which just makes it sound like the character is talking to snake as if he was a 3 year old. But even that has its charm at this point.

I guess we won't have to worry too much about this soon enough given that Snake barely talks during MGSV. Not much to mess up if there isn't much to begin with.

Megasoum

Banned
So I just went to the drugstore to buy a Stressball (it's that kind of day) and the guy there said "Oh sorry sir, this is a seasonal item and we're out of season"....wait...what? wtf

Jintor

i mean, I don't know how much control they have over lip flaps or whatever, but even if kojima is repeating 'war economy' over and over again in japanese it doesn't mean the translator absolutely has to say the words 'war economy' over and over again in english. There's ways to write around it

i mean, I don't know how much control they have over lip flaps or whatever, but even if kojima is repeating 'war economy' over and over again in japanese it doesn't mean the translator absolutely has to say the words 'war economy' over and over again in english. There's ways to write around it

yeah but with what?

You can't write around a concept like that. Even if they said war industry or military industrial complex, it's the same concept. It's all Outer Heaven, it's always been Outer Heaven.

So if that's annoying to you then you just gotta realize that Kojima loves to go back to the well with most of his concepts.

danm999

Having never played MGS4 I'm surprised Liquid seems to be the antagonist at the outset. Kind of expected it to be Ocelot given all the buildup he got in 3.

Is it ever explained why Ocelet felt the need to strap Liquid's hand to his body, rather than the dozens of corpses Snake doubtless left, or how Liquid managed to work that possession from beyond the grave?

Or is it a thing like how Fortune somehow deflected that final missile in MGS2 (ie magic).

Jintor

yeah but with what?

You can't write around a concept like that. Even if they said war industry or military industrial complex, it's the same concept. It's all Outer Heaven, it's always been Outer Heaven.

So if that's annoying to you then you just gotta realize that Kojima loves to go back to the well with most of his concepts.

i'm not saying don't talk about the war economy. just don't literally have the words 'war economy' every second sentence. it's bad writing to restate the topic, in this case the war economy, every sentence. war economy.

i'm not saying don't talk about the war economy. just don't literally have the words 'war economy' every second sentence. it's bad writing to restate the topic, in this case the war economy, every sentence. war economy.

Then that's on Kojima.

And if you're bothered by the long winded explanations and the reiterating of ideas and concepts this early in MGS4 then buckle up because we've only begun to scratch the surface of MGS4. I can 100% confirm that it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Having never played MGS4 I'm surprised Liquid seems to be the antagonist at the outset. Kind of expected it to be Ocelot given all the buildup he got in 3.

Is it ever explained why Ocelet felt the need to strap Liquid's hand to his body, rather than the dozens of corpses Snake doubtless left, or how Liquid managed to work that possession from beyond the grave?

Or is it a thing like how Fortune somehow deflected that final missile in MGS2 (ie magic).

As a person who has never played MGS4 but has read up on a lot of the dumb shit in this series.

Boy.

You're in for a treat.

Kelas

I think you should keep watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom