• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think to appreciate Contradiction you have to appreciate campy films. It also helps to have a nostalgia for FMV games but isn't really necessary. Contradiction would work perfectly well as a campy TV show that is under budget but makes up for it by being thoroughly overacted.

I agree and to put a finer point on it I think it is a mixture of campy FMV with the whole British comedy thing of funny/ridiculous things happening but everyone plays it 100% straight. I saw it described as 'earnest FMV' and I think that encapsulates it perfectly.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
oJRbQZz.gif

Jeff's an amazing piece of humanity.

In terms of things Giant Bomb get really into and I don't understand the appeal, I never got what that game where they were hanging out on a ship and they kept saying fuck Boyle was about. When they were desperate to get Boyle on to the best new character of the year category. Game seemed boring as hell. Someone explain that one. I'm not being a smartass, I actually am curious to understand it.

tchocky

In terms of things Giant Bomb get really into and I don't understand the appeal, I never got what that game where they were hanging out on a ship and they kept saying fuck Boyle was about. When they were desperate to get Boyle on to the best new character of the year category. Game seemed boring as hell. Someone explain that one. I'm not being a smartass, I actually am curious to understand it.

The appeal was that all the characters were controlled by real people (all GB in the QL) and you typed in the dialogue which was then awkwardly voiced by the characters.

Velvet Sundown is similar to Avalon in that you know everyone has motives and is probably lying their ass off, but maybe is being genuine? And it is being presented in this horrific and beautiful mess of 'fake' 90's VR chatroom, text-to-speech, and broken mechanics, in a game that is barely keeping it all together. It is a good recipe for comedy.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For the new page.

Have the GB crew ever talked about Peace Walker in long form, on a podcast or video?

I looked up the original PSP release date and it seems like it came out during E3 week so it doesn't seem like they talked about it since they were in the hustle and bustle of E3.

I watched the QL but it was all really early game stuff.

Did anyone on the GB crew finish the game, or get far in it? I just beat the game for the first time with the HD collection and was interested in hearing some of GB's thoughts.

For the new page.

they did a QL (as you know) and that's pretty much it. I don't think even Dan has really played it given he never seems to mention it.

Bet Jason fucked that game up tho. It's MonHun + MGS + Anime + Coop. If it had a 2d fighting minigame in it it would be the only game Jason would need for the rest of his life.

Myggen

Hey, Alex wore that same shirt in the most recent Contradiction video.

Only noticed cause I watched a bit of that 30 minutes ago.

I too wear t-shirts from a decade+ ago.

I'd wear t-shirts from a decade ago if I hadn't...grown out of those t-shirts.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
they did a QL (as you know) and that's pretty much it. I don't think even Dan has really played it given he never seems to mention it.

Bet Jason fucked that game up tho. It's MonHun + MGS + Anime + Coop. If it had a 2d fighting minigame in it it would be the only game Jason would need for the rest of his life.

Bummer. But it definitely seems like a very Jason game. It would be interesting if they did it for Metal Gear Scanlon. I'm not sure how well the games style would work with a video series. When I played I did a lot of side missions and base management, but I'm sure you could get through pretty quickly without messing with any of that.

Yup, looking forward to it. Enjoyed it when he did it a few months back.

I love the fact that Colin loves mayo as much as anyone should. And Dan.... well, we know about Dan and mayo. I still hope there will be a premium video series of Dan trying foods for the first time. I still can't believe that story he told, where his mom made him what he called the greatest mac and cheese he'd ever eaten, yet he thew it all out once she told him there was sour cream in it.

Myggen

I love the fact that Colin loves mayo as much as anyone should. And Dan.... well, we know about Dan and mayo. I still hope there will be a premium video series of Dan trying foods for the first time. I still can't believe that story he told, where his mom made him what he called the greatest mac and cheese he'd ever eaten, yet he thew it all out once she told him there was sour cream in it.

Dan works in mysterious ways.

valeo

If you like GB personalities, then Velvet Sundown was the best platform for them to let loose. The funny sounding text to speech just made it better.

klonere

Banned
Kind of. I think. I can't remember when Dan said it, but you can see
her picture on the wall when Sunny goes up to the kitchen in the first briefing and come to that conclusion yourself. They focus on the picture more at the beginning of act 2's briefing.
I can't remember when they explicitly state it. It might not be until
Naomi is helping Sunny with the eggs

Man that only makes me sad :(

That Rising's story didn't bridge the gap between 2 & 4 with Raiden rescuing Sunny from The Patriots and all.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Watching MGS 4-3, was this briefing made optional long after the game came out? I definitely saw this one, and watching an optional Metal Gear cut scene sounds like about the last thing I'd ever do.

A brad hosted podcast is better simply for the fact that that it forces brad to participate more. That's why the podcast has been even better since he took over

Myggen

Brother Jeff hosted it for years before Brad started hosting. I remember everyone in these threads were really positive on the change, too.

[EDIT] Well, Jeff hosted it after Ryan died.

Jeff was always the guest host when Ryan was away too, that's where him playing an older Bombcast theme while talking over it came from.

dumb question but do you need ps+ to play journey online?

Yes. The only games that don't need PS+ for online play are free to play games. Journey may be free for some, but that's only because its cross-buy. However, it is technically not free. If you did not buy it on PS3, you have to pay for the game on PS4. So, yeah, PS+ is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom