• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's cynical and doesn't buy into hype until he gets his hands on something. He's like that with everything.

Well I'm not talking about the Switch's pro controller, I'm talking about Wii U's. He made some comment about how terrible it was, and other than maybe the right stick placement, there is nothing wrong with Wii's Pro Controller. Has a great D-pad, the sticks feel good, buttons are nice and clicky...but to him, there was nothing but dismissiveness from him for it.

Sulik2

Nah he complains about everything. He gave PSVR shit, PS4Pro shit, and now it's time to give the Switch shit. He'll give Scorpio shit when that time comes.

He's also right to be skeptical about new hardware. PSVR has been a very mixed bag because of all the technical issues. PS4Pro has been a communications nightmare and is only now with 4.50 starting to make any sense as a platform. No 4k bluray on it still makes 0 sense. The Switch has one of the worst looking launch lineups in gaming history and is over priced. Being a realist and cutting through hype and marketing is what makes Jeff such an amazing games journalist.

I dislike the Wii U Pro controller and the Xbox Elite Controller, so I can understand having strange opinions about controllers too.

Curufinwe

Well I'm not talking about the Switch's pro controller, I'm talking about Wii U's. He made some comment about how terrible it was, and other than maybe the right stick placement, there is nothing wrong with Wii's Pro Controller. Has a great D-pad, the sticks feel good, buttons are nice and clicky...but to him, there was nothing but dismissiveness from him for it.

He's not the only one. The generally sensible hosts of Axe of the Blood God also hated the WiiU Pro controller for nonsensical reasons.

Curufinwe

He's also right to be skeptical about new hardware. PSVR has been a very mixed bag because of all the technical issues

Outside of Giant Bomb's livestream I haven't seen technical issues be a big deal online with PSVR. And it's sold so well it's kind of hard to find.

By the way, Beast in the East is off to a great start, sucks that we gotta wait for the next episode now because I could watch them play that nonstop...I really wish I had Yakuza 0 to play myself now...I do own Yakuza 4 and 5 on my PS3, but I've always been hesitant to play them because I never played the previous ones before. Either one of those ok to just jump into?

Outside of Giant Bomb's livestream I haven't seen technical issues be a big deal online with PSVR. And it's sold so well it's kind of hard to find.

So I have played the PSVR, and most games I didn't really have any of those problems, but I do feel like when I tried Job Simulator, I was running into some of that motion in the world stuff. It also drove me crazy that it kept losing track of my left hand because I wasn't facing the camera or something. One thing I felt might be the cause of the world being so shaky in Job Simulator though is the headset never rested on my head just right...it always kept shifting, and I felt like that might have been causing some of weird blurriness I was experiencing. That shit needs to be locked into place, but I could tell it was shifting a lot.

The Wii U Pro controller's face buttons are trash. It's not an especially good controller.

He's also right to be skeptical about new hardware. PSVR has been a very mixed bag because of all the technical issues. PS4Pro has been a communications nightmare and is only now with 4.50 starting to make any sense as a platform. No 4k bluray on it still makes 0 sense. The Switch has one of the worst looking launch lineups in gaming history and is over priced. Being a realist and cutting through hype and marketing is what makes Jeff such an amazing games journalist.

I dislike the Wii U Pro controller and the Xbox Elite Controller, so I can understand having strange opinions about controllers too.

The Switch has Zelda at launch, so it's already better than the PS4 launch where we all had to pretend AC4 was good.

By the way, Beast in the East is off to a great start, sucks that we gotta wait for the next episode now because I could watch them play that nonstop...I really wish I had Yakuza 0 to play myself now...I do own Yakuza 4 and 5 on my PS3, but I've always been hesitant to play them because I never played the previous ones before. Either one of those ok to just jump into?

So I have played the PSVR, and most games I didn't really have any of those problems, but I do feel like when I tried Job Simulator, I was running into some of that motion in the world stuff. It also drove me crazy that it kept losing track of my left hand because I wasn't facing the camera or something. One thing I felt might be the cause of the world being so shaky in Job Simulator though is the headset never rested on my head just right...it always kept shifting, and I felt like that might have been causing some of weird blurriness I was experiencing. That shit needs to be locked into place, but I could tell it was shifting a lot.

Play Yakuza 4. The guy from the previous games is barely in it so you get introduced to a new cast. It's really good to start with even if PS3 games feel jank now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brad seems to always skip himself on the "what have you been playing" section. I guess I'll just assume it was Dota 2.

I feel like there were ten different times during GOTY discussions where I wondered when in the hell Brad played games that he felt strongly about. He rarely talks about what he's playing unless somebody else is also playing and brings it up first.

tesqui

I feel like there were ten different times during GOTY discussions where I wondered when in the hell Brad played games that he felt strongly about. He rarely talks about what he's playing unless somebody else is also playing and brings it up first.

Yeah it's annoying. I want to hear his impressions on games when they come out not just during GOTY.

It seems that Jeff just lets the crew play whatever they want to play nowadays, especially since a majority of the crew, including himself, now have families and even less time to play games out of the office.

I remember when Jeff used to berate Vinny for playing too much Fable 2 and Overlord 2 and telling him to play the recent stuff so he can be "ready" for GOTY deliberations.

It seems that Jeff just lets the crew play whatever they want to play nowadays, especially since a majority of the crew, including himself, now have families and even less time to play games out of the office.

I remember when Jeff used to berate Vinny for playing too much Fable 2 and Overlord 2 and telling him to play the recent stuff so he can be "ready" for GOTY deliberations.

lol, I don't mind that they stay up to date on current games to play, but I wish Jeff would drop the delusions that they are still a site like gamespot, where covering current games is something that even matters.

Hell, some of the best content on the site is when they don't play recent games. The NES stuff that Beast does is killer. Not saying anything bad about Austin, I liked him, but now that Dan is with the Beast crew, Beast is totally the best of GB.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
8/19/2008 Bombcast

Jeff is staunchly opposed to the unionization of video game developers, because it might be "the end of video games as we know them."
Jeff hated "new games journalism" back in the Gamespot days, and now that's basically the only game journalism that "makes money" (as it were).

It's the Giant Bombcast with Jeff "Cyber Beard" Gerstmann!

"His name makes me think of SF Giants player Jose Uribe" That makes all two of us, Jeff.

Noticing the Sharp X68000 shirt; hopefully it's a sign...

Generation 7 was a hell of a drug.

Woof.
Have we heard his thoughts on it in the context of the VA strike in the past year?

He's not wrong, though.

Game devs unionize, then what? Companies will continue hiring non-union contractors. Games will become more formulaic then before. The burden of dealing with unions will most likely go to the indies, who are in no position to meet the demands of unions(Unless they have bank roll behind them and are willing to provide these exorbitant benefits). Not to mention devs will have to pony up cash to be covered up by the union, and devs are tight-strapped as is due to how game development works.

It'd be a big fat mess.

Lunar FC

lol, I don't mind that they stay up to date on current games to play, but I wish Jeff would drop the delusions that they are still a site like gamespot, where covering current games is something that even matters.

Hell, some of the best content on the site is when they don't play recent games. The NES stuff that Beast does is killer. Not saying anything bad about Austin, I liked him, but now that Dan is with the Beast crew, Beast is totally the best of GB.

I'm going to start calling out the worst post of each page.

Love hereing the duders thoughts on new games even if they are almost always wrong.

Strax

He's not wrong, though.

Game devs unionize, then what? Companies will continue hiring non-union contractors. Games will become more formulaic then before. The burden of dealing with unions will most likely go to the indies, who are in no position to meet the demands of unions(Unless they have bank roll behind them and are willing to provide these exorbitant benefits). Not to mention devs will have to pony up cash to be covered up by the union, and devs are tight-strapped as is due to how game development works.

It'd be a big fat mess.

C'mon
That's what companies said prior to every union ever.

kvothe

Fell asleep to Alt+F1, had a dream I was in a lecture hall watching Drew do a presentation on how the amount of bolts holding tires to the cars differed depending on the number of axles the car had. I had brought a cute girl to the presentation and I was pretty embarrassed about how boring the whole thing was.

Also: Saw Xavier Woods at a bar last weekend. I don't watch wrestling at all, only know him through GB and Dan. Wanted to tell him that, but decided to leave him alone.

C'mon
That's what companies said prior to every union ever.

There's a difference from say, a Stater Brothers having a union, to game companies being forced to use a union. You can't make a company like Ubisoft to use a union. They can just nickel and dime developers from different countries that will work for less.

For a store using a union, it's different. Person probably lives there and will shop there, and will work for an extended amount of time. For game development, the field is already contentious. You work on a game for 1-2 years, and unless that company makes another game and wants to use you to help make it, you're most likely out of a job. Or if it's inbetween projects, there is no reason for a company to want to give you a wage for not working.

Enforcing unions onto companies would require a global effort. Ubisoft for example, has offices in the US/Canada/Europe. Trying to enforce a union onto them through laws would require an effort unheard of.

Mr. F

Banned
I don't know why it's never stuck out to me this much before but I feel like Jeff needs more ways to articulate his disinterest in something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom