• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a ribbon that says fuckjeffgerstmann on my avatar

2v4XNs2.jpg

derFeef

Somehow I just got remembered of Splatterhouse (the 2010 game) and watched the Quicklook again. Jeff and Alex had good chemistry, such a good quicklook.

There's a difference from say, a Stater Brothers having a union, to game companies being forced to use a union. You can't make a company like Ubisoft to use a union. They can just nickel and dime developers from different countries that will work for less.

For a store using a union, it's different. Person probably lives there and will shop there, and will work for an extended amount of time. For game development, the field is already contentious. You work on a game for 1-2 years, and unless that company makes another game and wants to use you to help make it, you're most likely out of a job. Or if it's inbetween projects, there is no reason for a company to want to give you a wage for not working.

Enforcing unions onto companies would require a global effort. Ubisoft for example, has offices in the US/Canada/Europe. Trying to enforce a union onto them through laws would require an effort unheard of.
So it might be an awful mess, but is it healthier long term?
The current system seems particularly unfair on developers, would you rather things stay as they are?
Is there a happier medium?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You also have that one finishing move in the game where you rip the monsters butthole inside out and shove your fist inside of it

only game I know of with fisting in it. other than yakuza 0 of course.

I agree with Jeff on the slow burn of the beginning of Fire Emblem Heroes. I don't know if it's a Japanese design sensibility problem, but they love to milk their cutscenes/dialogue and slow-pour the game mechanics.

On the other hand, I played Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and the first match is a real game vs. AI with a couple of quick pop up clouds showing you how to play, then you're in it. In under a minute.

Mobile games are the very essence of the ADD generation, and sometimes I feel that Japanese devs in the mobile space are missing the point by sticking so stringently to their design tropes.

derFeef

You also have that one finishing move in the game where you rip the monsters butthole inside out and shove your fist inside of it

only game I know of with fisting in it. other than yakuza 0 of course.

It was a good venting game. I wanna replay that for sure.

Did they not go play Horizon last week or whenever with all the other games press? I was hoping for some more hot takes. Or is it so close to release they're just going to play it then..?

Hey, weren't you the guy moving to Denver? How has that worked out for you? I grew up there, live there now.

Indeed I am, long story SHORT. Getting a student visa to continue my studies for a masters degree proved to be a very lengthy procedure when it comes to the US(which doesn't make sense to me because it's just a student visa). I wasn't sure when my visa was going to be done so, I switched gears and applied to a university in Brighton(I got told by various people that the UK is quite quick when it comes to student visas). Thankfully, in one week I got my student visa and now I'm living here for the time being. Really enjoying my time here so far.

In an alternate universe, I'd probably be enjoying Denver as well, especially since I love the outdoors and all.

So it might be an awful mess, but is it healthier long term?
The current system seems particularly unfair on developers, would you rather things stay as they are?
Is there a happier medium?

Again, theres no guarantees itll be healthier long term.

Lets say Europe, US, and Canada somehow force Ubi to use unions when they make a game within them. Then Ubi will just outsource to India or Russia or China, and ship in-house experts to oversee the project while its created. These are two extreme examples, that is the listed regions forcing Union working, and the outsourcing of production for a game. But unions dont exactly guarantee a healthy future for devs.

Its not that Im against devs being paid more and having more protections, but that its unrealistic for them to unionize and that if they did, games really wouldnt be the same as they are(as jeff said).

I don't know why it's never stuck out to me this much before but I feel like Jeff needs more ways to articulate his disinterest in something.

Why? We already have the only one we need:

"I played it for a little bit and then I realized, I don't think I ever want to play this ever again."

SeanR1221

Brad's hair looks better. He got some volume instead of the straight back slicked look.

He also looks like he's losing some more weight.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Everybody should watch Danny play Ocarina of Time and then apologize to Brad for saying he is bad at video games. I just watched 30 minutes of a grown man trying to give a letter to a gravestone.

Somehow I just got remembered of Splatterhouse (the 2010 game) and watched the Quicklook again. Jeff and Alex had good chemistry, such a good quicklook.
Man, I watched that QL two days ago. I really enjoyed it too, Alex and Jeff Mxlr drives during E3 and GOTY stuff is amazing too! I mean, they have know each other the longest out of all the crew too I believe.

Everybody should watch Danny play Ocarina of Time and then apologize to Brad for saying he is bad at video games. I just watched 30 minutes of a grown man trying to give a letter to a gravestone.

Just loaded one of these videos up, as someone who recently played Ocarina for the first time holy crap am I glad I played it on the 3DS, christ that looks like dogshit on 64.

Fantastapotamus

are games art yet

BMX XXX is still a game, so yes

I remember trying to love Jet Force Gemini so bad back then. It was such a big release at the time. I never finished it, I never loved it.

Me and my friends got SUPER deep into that game, partially because of the two player mode. We even played a lot of the multiplayer, made up our own rules what is allowed to do etc. We pretty much knew every corner of that game, and JFG is a pretty big game. There is a ton of shit to collect and you need different characters to collect different shit. So we "shifts" like "I'll go Rith Essa with Juno, you'll go Tawfret with Vela" to see if we missed something. I really want to replay that game, just to see how much stuff I remember. I'm 100% certain it'll look and play terrible but still.

Also the king of the white monkey-apes you need to collect is called King Jeff. Just sayin

Me and my friends got SUPER deep into that game, partially because of the two player mode. We even played a lot of the multiplayer, made up our own rules what is allowed to do etc. We pretty much knew every corner of that game, and JFG is a pretty big game. There is a ton of shit to collect and you need different characters to collect different shit. So we "shifts" like "I'll go Rith Essa with Juno, you'll go Tawfret with Vela" to see if we missed something. I really want to replay that game, just to see how much stuff I remember. I'm 100% certain it'll look and play terrible but still.

Also the king of the white monkey-apes you need to collect is called King Jeff. Just sayin

And the dog was named Lupus. Can't beat that.

Fantastapotamus

And the dog was named Lupus. Can't beat that.

He was the best. After some point when shit went down he got a fucking tank. How many games do you know where you play dog piloting a tiny tank? That's what I thought.

The N64 was a trash console.

How many consoles do you know where you can play a game where you play dog piloting a tiny tank? That's what I thought.

Tracygill

There's a difference from say, a Stater Brothers having a union, to game companies being forced to use a union. You can't make a company like Ubisoft to use a union. They can just nickel and dime developers from different countries that will work for less.

For a store using a union, it's different. Person probably lives there and will shop there, and will work for an extended amount of time. For game development, the field is already contentious. You work on a game for 1-2 years, and unless that company makes another game and wants to use you to help make it, you're most likely out of a job. Or if it's inbetween projects, there is no reason for a company to want to give you a wage for not working.

Enforcing unions onto companies would require a global effort. Ubisoft for example, has offices in the US/Canada/Europe. Trying to enforce a union onto them through laws would require an effort unheard of.
In many countries it's required by law that companies cooperate with unions. You mentioned Ubisoft. In France, Ubisoft have employees who are unionized. They have 7 collective agreements.

Ubisofts Annual Investor Report from 2016, page 90.
uXo7aK1.png

kHQxnz0.png

Electronic Arts also have employees who are members of unions, namely DICE who are the developers of the Battlefield games and the Frostbite engine.

"Approximately 8 percent of our employees, all of whom work for DICE, our Swedish development studio, are represented by a union."

Electronic Arts 2015 Annual Report, page 92.

Perhaps it's more common for European video game companies to be unionized.

Why These 10 Unionized Video Game Companies You Didn't Know Existed Will Chill You To The Bone With Their "Workplace Safety"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom