• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
i had a thought

that thought is that state of decay is really fucking good

it's not strictly related to anything gb related, but i felt the need to share it with you

State of Decay is a mess. The most wonderful mess of the last gen. It has got heart.

Jintor

like, it's one of the very few scavenging zombie games i really really like.

combat is also really weirdly dark soulish.

just the right level of jank too

I hope they don't lose it with SoD2

Phediuk

8/26/2008 Bombcast

As of this date, Brad has not made the jump to HDMI, and still connects all of his consoles via component. He says he feels like he's living in the Dark Ages.

Jintor

like the interplay of grapples, striking, downs... base building and scavenging actually having a fucking purpose thanks to the constant zombie attacks... safe zones and stealth and cars actually being a fucking valuable resource because they don't endlessly respawn... man, that game was hella good.

SoD2 is slated for PC as well right? I remember it showed up at a microsoft conference i think

demidar

One of the things I want SoD2 to expand upon is base building wherever you want rather than pre-defined areas.

Haven't really been following the game, but yeah I hope that's a goal.

Peru

I like Dark Souls, Bloodborne and probably Nioh. But one of the reasons Monster Hunter comes on top despite them sharing deep, satisfying fight mechanics is that the world is bright and the monsters colorful. I wish someone made a Dark Souls-like but in a world that's not so grim.

Megasoum

Banned
I know this is a dumb reason but I could never get into State of Decay because that game has the worst case of crushed blacks I've ever seen. You can't see shit when you play. It's too bad too cause I actually like the premise and the little of the game play I've seen.

Mupod

My copy of Nioh shipped monday with release day shipping, and appears to have gotten lost. :(

Amazon gave me 35 bucks as an apology at least. It might still show up but if it didn't go out for delivery today I'm not expecting it tomorrow either.

8/26/2008 Bombcast

Jeff refers to Monster Hunter as a Phantasy Star Online ripoff.

Ryan says he can't stand Monster Hunter because it's too antiquated, but he would if it was more like a "modern damn video game".

Jeff says that game is Too Human.

Yeah those sound like terrible 2008 opinions of game journalist types towards MH. It's nice that for the most part reviewers have come around to MH, although I wonder how much of that is because the series is so insanely popular that you can't just dismiss it. Unless you're Jeff.

Some of my favorite things about MH are the specific ways in which it is 'antiquated'. No forced online, your character is your character whether offline or online. Free event quests, no paid DLC. And of course it plays like nothing else, which should be a positive but all too often gets taken as a negative. I miss the PS2 wild west where half the time you had to pore over the manual to get a handle on what you're doing. In a way Nioh reminds me of that too, maybe not so surprising due to its weird development history.

Strax

I found out why I don't like certain posters on GAF. For a long time I've seen posts from people I can figure out why I don't like them and I'm not talking about racists, homophobes etc that are clearly asshole for all to see. It was more the general vibe/attitude of some posts. Today I did a little search, and maybe this tells you a lot about me, I found out the more often you use/quote the word 'wrong' the more I dislike the poster. I searched 10 names. 5 posters I knew I liked and 5 posters I disliked.

The 5 posters I liked used/quoted the word 'wrong' on avg. 1 out of 700 posts while the posters I disliked used/quoted the word 'wrong' on avg. 1 out of 100 posts with the highest use case being 1 out of 40.

Sure this may be a sweeping generalization but I found it interesting.

Mupod

Man Yakuza 0 goes all in on shirtless fistfights. I'm guessing this is a recurring theme in the series, which makes me wonder why Dan waited this long to play them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man Yakuza 0 goes all in on shirtless fistfights. I'm guessing this is a recurring theme in the series, which makes me wonder why Dan waited this long to play them.

He said in the first video that he wants to fight this guy on a rooftop

Pretty much every Yakuza 1 onward has a major story fight on a specific rooftop.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just noticed that Jam made that super hilarious "I used to be an adventurer like you" joke but they didn't hear it. Ah, what an evergreen. It was always hilarious and it will always stay hilarious

Scizzy

This was the Bombcast that caused yesterday's grumbling? I just listened this morning. Jeff mocking the people complaining their tappers were unbalanced was great. The Nioh discussion was great. The emails were generally solid. It was a good podcast!

Wunder

This was the Bombcast that caused yesterday's grumbling? I just listened this morning. Jeff mocking the people complaining their tappers were unbalanced was great. The Nioh discussion was great. The emails were generally solid. It was a good podcast!

you're wrong. the bombcast is dead. unsubscribe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope nonstop loot becomes the 'climbing towers' of 2017 for everyone else because i've been so sick of the loot cycle for so many games now. i'd much rather have more spaced out, substantial loot than nonstop RNG 'maybe its good maybe it isnt' loot systems.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I hope nonstop loot becomes the 'climbing towers' of 2017 for everyone else because i've been so sick of the loot cycle for so many games now. i'd much rather have more spaced out, substantial loot than nonstop RNG 'maybe its good maybe it isnt' loot systems.

Yeah, I feel you on that. Loved dark souls style of weapon progression.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I never liked loot. I never enjoy looking at a bunch of stats, figuring out if +2 acid damage worth taking a -2 hit on regular damage or if the +5% attack speed is better than +4 armor piercing.

shadow warrior 2 does both

I found out why I don't like certain posters on GAF. For a long time I've seen posts from people I can figure out why I don't like them and I'm not talking about racists, homophobes etc that are clearly asshole for all to see. It was more the general vibe/attitude of some posts. Today I did a little search, and maybe this tells you a lot about me, I found out the more often you use/quote the word 'wrong' the more I dislike the poster. I searched 10 names. 5 posters I knew I liked and 5 posters I disliked.

The 5 posters I liked used/quoted the word 'wrong' on avg. 1 out of 700 posts while the posters I disliked used/quoted the word 'wrong' on avg. 1 out of 100 posts with the highest use case being 1 out of 40.

Sure this may be a sweeping generalization but I found it interesting.

Please get a hobby. This is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom