• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

The cricket thing is nationalistic. I played it in school and thought it was an okay game. As someone who was not naturally athletic but could catch pretty well it was my only chance for sporting fame. I find it pretty boring as a spectator sport. All that said. If some foreigner wants to talk shit about one of our national sports, then I will straight up cut a bitch. It is wierd. I don't see why I should care enough to have such a reaction.

Some people won't like me saying this, but they should spend less time on the GOTY stuff and instead do streams of old games and stuff.

I would be fine with the GOTY articles on the site and the podcast. Really don#t need all that video stuff.

They already do that every friday. I could stand to see a few more retro streams but I don't think they want to be "that site where they play games on the couch". Even if that is what they are best at.

They're well set with non-new release dependent content lately, LOLS, Breaking Brad, Unprofessional Fridays, Pathfinder, Spookin' with Scoops, etc. The things that'll really impact output will be holiday vacations and GOTY stuff, though.

All fine shows. Also, all premium. Even with the streaming situation they will need to find something for "normals" when the quick looks dry up.

Also. Prepare yourself haters.

2574757-11111.jpg

RaikuHebi

Banned
I actually joked that they should do a Cricket Quicklook in the Youtube comments of their FIFA video. Can't believe they actually did it haha.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Some people won't like me saying this, but they should spend less time on the GOTY stuff and instead do streams of old games and stuff.

I would be fine with the GOTY articles on the site and the podcast. Really don#t need all that video stuff.

The GOTY stuff is consistently awesome and some of their best work. I'd miss it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The videos that make are amazing. Anything containing actual opinions or discussion about the game of the year can be skipped.

The podcasts are one of my favorite parts of every year. It's great to hear people talk so passionately about video games.

I want a new The Getaway game.

That game always felt super taboo to me as a kid. For some reason smoking cops in Vice City didn't feel weird, but having fucking realistically-outfitted bobbies running after you in the middle of London? Nah son. Nah.

especially seeing as I swear that game had female officers too

Xater

The GOTY stuff is consistently awesome and some of their best work. I'd miss it.

I think the videos take way too much effort and their top 10 could just be a list on the website. I can hear their opinions during the GOTY podcast anyway.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I think they are the only un-listenable pieces of content they produce.
I think they are the best because that's when it is guaranteed they'll be 100% talking about games and not getting side-tracked.

I love the tangents but I do sometimes get annoyed that they aren't getting to the good stuff.

That's straight up not true.
In terms of working class white people I'd say he's right, at least in London. I've never seen a Cockney geezer into cricket. Only the more Estuary speaking Londoners from places like Harrow.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
That game always felt super taboo to me as a kid. For some reason smoking cops in Vice City didn't feel weird, but having fucking realistically-outfitted bobbies running after you in the middle of London? Nah son. Nah.

especially seeing as I swear that game had female officers too

Remember the scene where a dude is getting tortured with the end of an electric cable? The "realism" of that game at the time made that scene really unnerving for me, and I wasn't even that young.

I loved driving around and following the rules of the road. Made speeding and chases seem all the more fun.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I just couldn't get into it because it sucked compared to GTA. Really hope R* do London again one day. Considering the Housers are Londoners it would surely be their Magnus Opus.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I just couldn't get into it because it sucked compared to GTA. Really hope R* do London again one day. Considering the Housers are Londoners it would surely be their Magnus Opus.

It was a completely different game, tonally. I think I remember the shooting being a bit frustrating, but I really liked the missions and the driving. Overall the story was well put together. Also really liked that you play the game from two perspectives.

Thos cricket game looks embarassing. I'm sure its giving no-balls for full tosses as well.

Has there been a decent cricket game since the Brian Lara series on the PS2?

Spectator crickety is good for background watching imo, can only pay full attention to it when it gets down to the vital stages though personally

MNC

I legitimately cannot stop laughing at the cricket QL. Just as you think it can't become any weirder, Vinny's player takes a cricket ball to the side and yells out in pain LOL

Zaph

"LBW - that's Leg Before Wicket"

"Is that like Bro's Before Ho's?"

I'm dying.

That's why going to test cricket is more of a social event than a sporting event. Most people don't stay concentrated for the whole time because it is a game with a lot of downtime.

This quick look is great though.
Yup, like a summer time version of après-ski, where it's more of an excuse for social mixers than the actual sport/activity itself.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Thos cricket game looks embarassing. I'm sure its giving no-balls for full tosses as well.

Has there been a decent cricket game since the Brian Lara series on the PS2?

Spectator crickety is good for background watching imo, can only pay full attention to it when it gets down to the vital stages though personally

That's why going to test cricket is more of a social event than a sporting event. Most people don't stay concentrated for the whole time because it is a game with a lot of downtime.

This quick look is great though. I love their reaction to David Lloyd.

cdkee

Banned
I'm colorblind and I've never seen two images of what a "normal person" sees and what a "colorblind person" sees as being remotely confusing or similar. Every time I see those sorts of images it just seems like an over dramatization of colorblindness to envoke sympathy or understanding.

I'm colorblind as well. Those dot number tests irritate me so much.

What's worse is that when I send weekly updates to my boss at work, he wants the updated info in dark red. Makes it extremely difficult for me to edit the document as everything looks the same.

Randdalf

I played cricket for my school team (briefly), I'm not very good though. Cricket's definitely a sport that you turn on for 10 minutes to check the score, or leave on in the background - it only tends to get exciting towards the end. Cricket is odd in that it's almost an endurance sport in some respects, standing in a field concentrating for hours on end.

Curufinwe

I played cricket for my school team (briefly), I'm not very good though. Cricket's definitely a sport that you turn on for 10 minutes to check the score, or leave on in the background - it only tends to get exciting towards the end. Cricket is odd in that it's almost an endurance sport in some respects, standing in a field concentrating for hours on end.

20/20 cricket matches last about as long as a baseball game and don't have nearly as much time wasting.

Like Jeff I had a similar day of understanding cricket. I think it was that time Ireland beat England that Danny mentioned. Suddenly everyone in Ireland watched it for a month.

I was with some people watching a long game and picked everything up and felt like I had a good grip on what was going on, how scoring worked etc..

All that information fell out of my head by the next time I watched a game.

rObit

Banned
Alright GB, just invite Danny over for a quick look every single day until everyone realizes he should just be a part of your crew. He's absolutely perfect for it.

I'm playing a lot of games now for my own GoTY deliberations, like the GB crew is probably doing/going to do.

It might sound weird, I've played pretty much all the big releases this year, but my current GotY is Puppeteer.

When they were talking about "Best Narrated Game" this year in one of the earlier Bombcasts and Brad didn't mention Puppeteer, I was a little sad. I hope it at least gets nominated with other notables like Tearaway.

....if there actually is a "Best Narrated Game" category. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom