• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Saints Row 3 is packed to the brim with mediocre third person shooting. It was worth downloading for free on PS+, but I find it funny it was considered for GotY.

Kerned

Banned
At the end of the day I definitely had more fun with Saints Row 3 than I did with Skyrim, but I don't think them giving Skyrim GOTY was quite as scandalous as some people seem to.

Lunzio

I didn't have a problem with Skyrim winning over Saints Row, it just felt as though the discussion was nitpicky and the points that argued against Saints and for Skyrim were sometimes a little thin.

That's GOTY for ya, though.

The problem to me was, SR3 was clearly the Giantbomb GOTY. Not best game, or any of that,but the game that most resonated with the staff of the site and the one they all seemed to like the most. Skyrim felt like the safe choice, from a line of thinking like "people wont take us seriously if we pick SR3." Which seems completely misguided for them as a site. It was a bit of them being afraid to be who they were to try and fit in, when they are at their best when they are the rebels of the industry.

I get the humour in SR3 scratched a very specific itch for Jeff and Ryan but other then that it had maybe 5 worthwhile missions in the entire game.

Lunzio

The problem to me was, SR3 was clearly the Giantbomb GOTY. Not best game, or any of that,but the game that most resonated with the staff of the site and the one they all seemed to like the most. Skyrim felt like the safe choice, from a line of thinking like "people wont take us seriously if we pick SR3." Which seems completely misguided for them as a site. It was a bit of them being afraid to be who they were to try and fit in, when they are at their best when they are the rebels of the industry.

Definitely had similar vibes. Saints fell more in line with the overall personality of the site, in my opinion.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
SR3 and Skyrim both had some very monotonous elements but on the whole I played SR3 to completion and came out happy, whereas at a point I just kind of shrugged off Skyrim and forgot most of what I did.

eot

Banned
Vinny is going to suck at Dark Souls in 2014,,, I keep wishing he could make the time to finish it in pre-Xmas

2 hours, and he is done!

Yeah it's a bummer, shouldn't have bought a 1 month sub :|
Don't have any real interest in the other premium content.

fleck0

Have we already predicted what will win "Worst Industry Trend"? It's been a year for sure.

I'm leaning towards something micro-transaction related, though the recent Youtube stuff could probably compete as well. I fear next years trends will be especially brutal.

Manbig

Have we already predicted what will win "Worst Industry Trend"? It's been a year for sure.

I'm leaning towards something micro-transaction related, though the recent Youtube stuff could probably compete as well. I fear next years trends will be especially brutal.

Have to think about it for a bit, but it was pretty crazy how on the nose they were about the Bioware thing.

demidar

Microtransactions on the level of the Xbone launch games puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

What's this Bioware thing?

I guess it's time to bail on the Bomb for a week. I've never listened to any of the GOTY podcasts after about 20 minutes a few years ago. The video pieces they do have always been great but I can't stand listening to the debate that goes into the lists.

obonicus

Maybe something to do with all the crazy apologies this year, though probably 'free to pay'.

What'll they call 'worst industry trend' this year?

popo

Early Access is great for the press. Instead of having to beg for preview code or visit devs they can pay a nominal amount and not have to deal with any coverage embargoes.

Not great for consumers but you can always decide to not buy until release.

Was MineCraft the game that started the early access trend as a concept?
I think it's great for the devs but you are paying full price for an incomplete game that may not take choices and directions you like at the end.

valeo

I think it's great for the devs but you are paying full price for an incomplete game that may not take choices and directions you like at the end.

Personally, I think it's just as bullshit as the micro transaction trends lately except I'm hearing far less complaints about it.

Remember the good old days when we got free demo's of already completed games?

sixghost

Broken-ass games is going to take it in a landslide. Sim City and Battlefield 4 were both released this year.

Zaph

Damn, reading Jeff's tumblr reminded me Warhammer Online is shutting down today/tonight. He can't get into his account, so no stream.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
yeah i can't imagine a game filled with mediocre combat getting goty

Heh.

But still, for both games with terrible combat in them, I've got to give skyrim an edge over SR3 just due to the world being far more interesting than the snoozefest that is steelport. Or any GTA style open world.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, hope you guys can find a vid for me.

I am looking for the video they made right after the Sony E3 press conference 2013.

They were outside in the dark. I THINK Will Smith from tested was there, not 100% sure on that though.

Anyways, I cant find that fucking vid for the life of me.

Yeah, probably microtransactions, specifically game-specific currency nonsense.

The idea with the early access stuff is that the community has more of a hand in the development of the game, since it's still so early. How much of this is actually the case (and whether that's a good thing or not) depends very much on how the developers take feedback. I'd imagine it's a lot different when you're developing an alpha version of a game with a couple of friends giving you feedback (< 10 people probably, for an indie game at least) or with a whole community (1000+ people).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Came to post. Well done Andrew Allen! Captures the open mic poetry night aesthetic perfectly!

I can just imagine a beatnik Brad Shoemaker dropping a hipster Haiku about how your game isn't better than Brothers, brother!
Wait, is that this years theme? How do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom