• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

ysRXKsT.png

FStop7

Banned
Ryan's absence from that E3 video really disturbs me, since it was made just a few weeks before he died. Just kind of eerie and sad to think about it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So after not listening to the GOTY podcasts in 2011, I went back and checked out the Skyrim vs. Saints Row discussion... that filibuster was just frustrating.

Just reading this is making me hate Brad again. I will never get past that decision.

Hey guys. Skyrim's quest system was "magical".

Ryan's heel turn was something else.

was that the one where saints row basically wasnt game of the yeary enough for it to win

I'm just quoting these all so I can express how awful that was.

auuuuugggghhhh god oh my god.

aughghhhghhhhguhhghhh why.

daydream

Banned
11 hours, that's the longest bunch of deliberation podcasts yet.

The '12 discussions went a bit too smoothly for my taste, so I'm hoping for the return of Filibradster. Would be so cool if he managed to get Brothers into the top 10 somehow (not the best indie title this year, but hey, I'd take it).

webrunner

I just hope we don't end up with a repeat of what happened to FTL.. a game everyone loved but since there was no controversy about it it was constantly passed up for stuff they actually ended up discussing.

Alfredo

I hope there's a "Best DLC" category again, and they treat it as a Mass Effect 3: Citadel Spoilercast. Some crazy stuff went down in that DLC!

Manbig

Microtransactions on the level of the Xbone launch games puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

What's this Bioware thing?

The Bioware thing I was referring to was in 2011 I think. It was runner up for the "Chiggity check yourself before you wreck yourself" award for things that need to take a break before they become a worst trend. Soon after that, we had the whole ending of Mass Effect 3 debacle, Star Wars: The Old Republic losing a ton of money, and that "Bioware" Command and Conquer game being canceled.

demidar

The Bioware thing I was referring to was in 2011 I think. It was runner up for the "Chiggity check yourself before you wreck yourself" award for things that need to take a break before they become a worst trend. Soon after that, we had the whole ending of Mass Effect 3 debacle, Star Wars: The Old Republic losing a ton of money, and that "Bioware" Command and Conquer game being canceled.

Oh yeah, Bioware totally wrecked themselves. I've sworn off EA games, but Inquisition looks promising. Maybe they can rise again like a phoenix?

justjim89

I kinda find it crazy there are honestly people that think SR3 was remarkable in any significant way, let alone better than Skyrim. Good on Brad for sticking to his guns and Ryan coming to his senses.

I just hope we don't end up with a repeat of what happened to FTL.. a game everyone loved but since there was no controversy about it it was constantly passed up for stuff they actually ended up discussing.

Yeah, the fact that FTL and Hotline Miami didn't make it into the top 10 last year but somehow Mass Effect 3 did irked me.

Massa

I kinda find it crazy there are honestly people that think SR3 was remarkable in any significant way, let alone better than Skyrim. Good on Brad for sticking to his guns and Ryan coming to his senses.

You're missing the point, your opinion of the games is irrelevant. SR3 was the GOTY for Ryan, Jeff and Vinny.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh yeah, Bioware totally wrecked themselves. I've sworn off EA games, but Inquisition looks promising. Maybe they can rise again like a phoenix?

To be fair, SWTOR reinvented itself as a very successful F2P title.That game is doing well ever since their transition.

Ryan's turn only happened after Brad had made it clear he wasn't going to shut up until everyone agreed to give it to Skyrim.

Also, godfuckit now I'm reminded of that whole thing again.They need to give Saints Row IV GOTY this year, using the Return of the King excuse Brad used to justify putting Mass Effect as his #1. Then all is well.

And the worst thing is that Brad's filibustering was nowhere to be seen when it was time to give the GOTY to Red Dead.

Ceebs

Nothing against Saints Row IV, but Return of the King deserved it more than SRIV does.

I had more fun with Saints Row 4 than anything else this year. Bring it on!

I am actually curious if something like Gone Home has a shot with Patrick there to push it. I know Brad also liked it a lot.

I had more fun with Saints Row 4 than anything else this year. Bring it on!

I am actually curious if something like Gone Home has a shot with Patrick there to push it. I know Brad also liked it a lot.

Gone Home might have a fair shot since Patrick is in the room, but I imagine it'll butt heads with The Stanley Parable. Might end up splitting the vote & both get locked out of the top ten.

As the premier Giant Bomb GOTY-oncologist, it is amusing to see people hope or think that games like Gone Home, Papers Please, or Dota 2, MIGHT be GOTY. Ha!

W1SSY

Looks like another crazy simulator is out on steam. This time is is Airport Simulator 2014. I went ahead and sent a tweet to Vinny and the guys hoping to get a QL of it at some point.

Also really excited for the GotY stuff but a little sad that The Last of Us will probably not get the credit it deserves with Jeff not playing it. Also looking forward to hearing an argument over where DOTA should.

Looks like another crazy simulator is out on steam. This time is is Airport Simulator 2014. I went ahead and sent a tweet to Vinny and the guys hoping to get a QL of it at some point.

Also really excited for the GotY stuff but a little sad that The Last of Us will probably not get the credit it deserves with Jeff not playing it. Also looking forward to hearing an argument over where DOTA should.

Don't forget Woodcutting Simulator 2014 that just came out too.

Yeah, the fact that FTL and Hotline Miami didn't make it into the top 10 last year but somehow Mass Effect 3 did irked me.
I kinda felt like ME3 deserved to be on the list somewhere last year, but ZombiU? Syndicate? How those two got on the list and FTL and Hotline Miami didn't was crazy. I hope those two are frontrunners for 2012's 2011 GOTY, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why must you guy bring up Skyrim vs Saints Row 3 again? It still hurts. A game that is still unplayable on one platform and really the definition of quantity over quality was their GOTY only because Ryan didn't want to be embarrassed by picking the game with dildos in it. :(

I can only imagine what this year's list will be if Jeff said he wouldn't buy every game on their top ten. It seems like some crazy deal must have happened for Jeff to have let something he presumably dislikes on the list.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 being in the top 10 was what made me stop caring about GB's goty beyond personal lists.

Brad ruins them completely. There's no nicer way of me saying it when there's no point if he gets his way so frequently just because they don't want to deal with it.

Ceebs

Jeff did play it, and had the same opinion of it I do. It is not fun to play.

Personally I would go as far as saying I actively disliked playing it.

derFeef

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 being in the top 10 was what made me stop caring about GB's goty beyond personal lists.

Brad ruins them completely. There's no nicer way of me saying it when there's no point if he gets his way so frequently just because they don't want to deal with it.

Both deserved to be in there.

Jeff did play it, and had the same opinion of it I do. It is not fun to play.

Personally I would go as far as saying I actively disliked playing it.

ND needs to step up their game in terms of combat encounter and pacing. Everything else is sublime...

Kerned

Banned
Why must you guy bring up Skyrim vs Saints Row 3 again? It still hurts. A game that is still unplayable on one platform and really the definition of quantity over quality was their GOTY only because Ryan didn't want to be embarrassed by picking the game with dildos in it. :(

I can only imagine what this year's list will be if Jeff said he wouldn't buy every game on their top ten. It seems like some crazy deal must have happened for Jeff to have let something he presumably dislikes on the list.

He dislikes TLOU, and I'm sure that's on the short list. Brad and VInny seem to have really liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom