• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm looking forward to everybody being angry cause somebody else liked a game they didn't.
And then ALL forums are going to explode cause neither GTA nor Last of Us will win GotY

Fantastapotamus

So it's bad that Brad fought for Skyrim but not that Jeff fought for SR3? Why?

SR3 was not a great game. It was fun to look at, and if you tell somebody what happenes it sounds great but actually playing it was sub-standard.

RE_Player

So it's bad that Brad fought for Skyrim but not that Jeff fought for SR3? Why?

SR3 was not a great game. It was fun to look at, and if you tell somebody what happenes it sounds great but actually playing it was sub-standard.
It's the way he argues for stuff I can see gets under people's skin. Go back to 2010 when he was arguing for Minerva's Den as best dlc. He didn't even play the game that the dlc was for, Bioshock 2, but didn't back down even though Jeff brought up the good point that if he had played the core game he would not have thought of Minerva so highly, as it reuses many mechanics.

obonicus

It was a game that Jeff, Vinny and even Ryan could not stop talking about. For months we had them saying 'you have to play saints row the third' on the podcast. Jeff said it himself during the deliberations; it was the sort of game giant bomb would make, if it made games.

Fantastapotamus

It's the way he argues for stuff I can see gets under people's skin. Go back to 2010 when he was arguing for Minerva's Den as best dlc. He didn't even play the game that the dlc was for, Bioshock 2, but didn't back down even though Jeff brought up the good point that if he had played the core game he would not have thought of Minerva so highly, as it reuses many mechanics.

I know that. But I also think that he is correct if he says the DLC should stand on it's own. Lair of the Shadow Broker also didn't reinvent the ME gameplay. But Minerva's Den was actually better then Bioshock 2 and elevated the game instead of doing the same which Shadow Broker did. Not that I want to discuss this any further but I definitely think Brad has a point and I personally appreciate that he fights for what he believes and doesn't just give up and be like "Eh, whatever. Do what you want".

I can see how this is annoying though, I'm not gonna argue with that ;)
However I don't see how this applies to SR3 vs Skyrim cause it was not him arguing against everybody, it was Him+Patrick+Ryan

Oh I get it. You guys are just trying to get Brad to post in here. Clever!
Shhh.....you're scaring him away!

Defunkled

I don't think Skyrim OR Saint's Row deserved the GOTY that year. Rich atmosphere and clever/funny dialogue don't make up for the extremely mediocre and boring gameplay of both games. In my opinion, of course.

obonicus

However I don't see how this applies to SR3 vs Skyrim cause it was not him arguing against everybody, it was Him+Patrick+Ryan

It was mostly him vs. Vinny and Jeff. Ryan's objection was really nebulous, and he never really argued against Saints Row, as far as I remember, other than saying he couldn't choose it for GotY. I think Vinny argued more energetically against Skyrim than Jeff; remember, Vinny had played Witcher 2 that same year, and so some of Skyrim's weaknesses were even more glaring.

popo

Not germane to the skyrim/SR3 discussion but this was retweeted on the Whitta Twitta.

Merry Whitta ‏@garywhitta 11h
CROWN OF LIES: The @bradshoemaker Story (via @Romsus)

Romsus ‏@Romsus 11h
@patrickklepek I hope this was intentional

Bbz6t6RCIAAgxCS.png

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Wouldn't be surprised if their Game of the Year is Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Wouldn't surprise me either. It's probably the major game release that has the most net positive feeling about it among the crew. All the other big games are disliked by at least somebody.

obonicus

GotY has to be GTA 5, Infinite or TLoU. There are hardly any other games that at least most of them played.

I'd bet on TLoU, mostly because there's the least rejection to it. Patrick's going to bring up one of those stupid "I'm a grown-up so I can't appreciate GTA5" articles, Brad wasn't that taken by Infinite or GTA5. Jeff wasn't crazy about TLoU, but I think Jeff's used to having the minority opinion by now, and he's admitted that he likes the non-game parts of TLoU.

Of those 3, anyway. I could see Zelda taking it.

Kerned

Banned
Vinny is the only one who beat it.

GotY has to be GTA 5, Infinite or TLoU. There are hardly any other games that at least most of them played.

I'm not sure what their GOTY will end up being, but I am going to predict that it definitely won't be one of those three games.

Goldmund

I don't think Skyrim OR Saint's Row deserved the GOTY that year. Rich atmosphere and clever/funny dialogue don't make up for the extremely mediocre and boring gameplay of both games. In my opinion, of course.
I replayed parts of both recently and I find it hard to even consider them good games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I don't think either deserved it either, but I find them to be a better answer than stuff like Journey which felt like the oscar bait of video games. Which is not to say that they're bad, but it feels like it gets a free pass on a lot of stuff.

Same reason I wouldn't want Gone Home to win.

Patryn

I'm beginning to suspect that it'll be Zelda, as well. Drew starting to play it will definitely affect things, I think, given that he'll be in for the deliberations this time. I suspect that Jeff will down any attempt at TLOU, and Jeff and Brad will likely down GTAV (not that I think it'll be in the running too long, as the infatuation with it didn't really last).

And remember that they've described GOTY as the least offensive game rather than necessarily the best game.

Also, Gamespot just gave it GOTY.

Zaph

I really think GotY is going to Rogue Legacy.

The way Patrick said "you should really play Rogue Legacy" on UPF, followed by Jeff's glance towards him, kinda gave it away IMO.

Could be wrong, but they've said quite a few times how underwhelmed they are by most of 2013's AAA releases, so no better time to give it to an indie.

Are there any points in GTA when the story bogs down and isnt very fun for a few hours?

I think that might be its advantage over Bioshock and TLOU. Both of those games have kind of obvious low points you can easily point at as problems. Not sure GTA has stuff that is as easy to point at. Its much more consistent even though it doesn't reach any of the same highs and its problems are more down to the quality of the writing and the nature of the story and other things that are probably to highbrow for Jeff.

Patryn

The way Patrick said "you should really play Rogue Legacy" on UPF, followed by Jeff's glance towards him, kinda gave it away IMO.

Could be wrong, but they've said quite a few times how underwhelmed they are by most of 2013's AAA releases, so no better time to give it to an indie.

Ooooo... hadn't thought of that. I could definitely see that taking it.

Xater

Shit, I forgot about Rogue Legacy. Had to quickly edit my ist for this year.

kingocfs

I can easily see this. If not an indie, my prediction goes to Infinite. They seemed to have the least amount of problems with that game out of any major AAA release this year.

I can see Zelda, too, but GS picking it makes me think they'll think twice about it for some reason.

Angryhead

Neo Member

Have you got an (approximate) timestamp for this?

I'm hoping for a TLoU win, but an indie game winning would be cool too. Still need to get & play The Swapper...

popo

They all seem to at least like Papers, Please. And Samurai Gunn recently but I think that may have arrived too late.

They loved PP before release and then when it actually came out not many played it. I think Alex and Pat did but even they said they only got a couple of the endings. SG is a fun local multiplayer game but it's appeal is limited to that. If they had not been tight with the publisher, then I am not even sure they would have got around to going a QL.

LeBart

Still talking about Skyrim vs SR3? Seriously? Get over it, people...

They should just drop the overall game of the year and only do personal lists at this point.
The deliberation podcasts clearly show how pointless the whole thing really is, you'd think anyone listening to these would realize that and stop caring so much, but it seems to have the opposite effect... go figure.
There's nothing to be gained from this, it just makes fanboys angry.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

They should just drop the overall game of the year and only do personal lists at this point.
The deliberation podcasts clearly show how pointless the whole thing really is, you'd think anyone listening to these would realize that and stop caring so much, but it seems to have the opposite effect... go figure.

You're wrong.

People disagreeing with each other isn't a reason to not do it.

It insights passioned video game discussion and that's always a great thing to see.

It's not like people are just saying "skyrim sux brad sux." There's genuine discussion on the what's and why's.

Patryn

If nothing else, the feature and its deliberations provide for content during the holiday weeks when they're out of the office.

faridmon

I don't care which game win the GOTY award. I just hope they tear each other's hair while trying to pick one over the other.

and then DOTA 2 wins because everyone ends up dead... beside Brad!

demidar

So you'd prefer a circle-jerk echo chamber?

Fuck that. There is no discussion without opposing arguments.

LeBart

Look at the community game of the generation on the forums. Did it spark a lot of interesting discussions? I certainly didn't see any. It was mostly a bunch of "you're an idiot if you vote for X, only Y deserves to win."
And people don't need a pointless popularity contest to have these kinds of debates anyway. There's already plenty of that going on. If you want oppising arguments on why Infinite or The Last of Us are terrible games, there's a lot of that.

Personal lists are great because people get to talk about games that went under the radar, like Frog Fractions last year. Other awards like best soundtrack or worst trend absolutely do spark meaningful discussions.
Overall GOTY however, only prolongs and makes louder the endless debates over which AAA game was better than the others this year. I don't see the point, but hey that's just my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom