• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatnik11

Neo Member
I really hope they have a category for Ten games better than Brothers.

That would be brilliant, for some reason that joke just doesnt seem to get old.

I just recently played Brothers and honestly I thought the game was charming with frustrating controls at the start and didnt quite get what was so special about it for the first hour, but then something happened and it just clicked and I finally understood why so many people raved about it. The control mechanics are hard to get used to but they are so important to the game that it just wouldnt work without them. I really wish Jeff wouldnt be so obstinate and dismissive about the game and gives it a fair shake, its not that long.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Someone randomly mentions cookie clicker on day 2.

everyone scrambles to make a new list
I think Cookie Clicker and maybe Antichamber could be top 10 surprises. And Jeff really dug Rogue Legacy, he beat it over a weekend or something with 180 generations, which is crazy.

Zornack

YVbnNB6.jpg

Damn, I liked those.

I can't think of a single game that is as liked by the group as a whole, except maaaybe the new Zelda?

Zelda seems like a possible frontrunner for the final GOTY title, as it seems like the ultimate "compromise" pick. Nobody's had anything negative to say about it the entire year, and with one or two enthusiastic backers - it could take it. I can see a situation where the votes are split between BioShock & TLOU, and Zelda sneaks in as the overall group favorite.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The talk about Last Of Us is getting a bit dogmatic around these parts, it almost makes me want them to focus on all the fantastic smaller games that were just as, if not more enjoyable. This was a big year for them. I smell Jeff propping up Rogue Legacy and Patrick joining in, and I see the same for Papers, Please. And I'd say as far as pure gamey-ness goes I could see Link Between Worlds coming in at the top.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Recently listened to the bioshock infinite spoilercast on rev 3. Jeff was a guest discussing the game with sessler and man I haven't heard that dude speak so positively about a game all year minus maybe rogue legacy. Don't recall the same level of adoration on the bombcast from him.

Sadly bio inf likely has a real shot if opinions are uniform, and they seem to be. Personally it was my disappointment of the year...

Blastoise

Banned
Bioshock Infinite wasn't a disappointment for me. I really enjoyed the setting and characters, especially before all the shit kicked off in Columbia. But it is definitely not my GOTY. But it is in my top ten.

OMG Aero

Weren't the individual top 10 videos last year just clips taken from the parody videos?
Those were just the interstitial parts, the best part of the individual top 10 videos was just getting to hear each of them just talk about why they liked that game. You don't really get too much of that in the GOTY podcasts because most of the time they are arguing or deciding an order, and often there are games in their individual top 10s that aren't even in the running for the site top 10.
I suppose they'll each write something about their top 10s, but then you probably won't get great moments like Vinny suffering Dark Souls PTSD or Jeff getting real about Persona 4.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If it got to the stage that everyone except Jeff agrees on TLOU, Jeff's argument of 'the gameplay sucks' won't really hold any sway. I don't think he would stop it from happening. And honestly I can't of another game that the majority of the crew love other than that game. Maybe Gone Home or zelda, but I don't think either of those would happen.

I don't think the other members of the GB Crew think that TLOU has stellar combat either.

Isn't it Vinny himself who said towards the end he had to force himself to get through the combat scenarios because they became such a chore?

My predictions:

1. The Last of Us - The support of Vinny, Patrick and Drew (important, as this is one of the few GOTY candidates he played I believe), plus the newfound ally of Brad Shoefilibuster will get TLOU past Jeff. While Jeff stopped The Walking Dead from winning last year, this time there isn't a clear 'second winner' like there was in XCOM. Plus, Jeff has no favorite of his own to push for GOTY and may just be okay with any winner.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Everyone liked it a whole lot.
3. GTA V - Everyone seems kind of cold on it, but I think they will still give it a high spot for its atmosphere/worldbuilding, technical impressiveness and the 'it's the big game of 2013' factor (see: Skyrim).
4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
5. Rogue Legacy - This will probably be the game Jeff pulls the most for.
6. Super Mario 3D World
7. Brothers - I suspect Brad may have grown to dislike Brothers a little due to the constant '10 better games' jokes, and might not fight as hard for it as he otherwise would have.
8. Bioshock Infinite
9. The Swapper - Patrick will fight tooth and nail for this, and won't settle for a #10 spot either.
10. Saint's Row IV

EDIT: forgot about Rogue Legacy. Also, it feels weird saying 'this will happen' when it actually already happened.

EDIT 2: shuffled some stuff around, this should be it.

It's kind of depressing the only game on that list I got around to playing was GTA V, and I didn't even really like it.

There is no way Saints Row IV does not make it in their overall top 10 list.

Hmm, I don't know about that. I can't remember them really loving it, at least not as much as Gone Home and Metal Gear Rising which I already had to cut. But maybe I'm misremembering stuff, we'll see.

EDIT: Actually, you're probably right.

Anth0ny

There is no way they're going to go with Zelda. I just can't see it happening.

Looking more and more like they'll go with TLOU to me, Jeff's thoughts be damned.

My predictions:

10) Sonic Lost World
9) Killzone Shadow Fall
8) Pokemon X/Y
7) Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate
6) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
5) New Super Luigi U
4) Beyond: Two Brothers
3) Shin Megami Tensei IV
2) Brothers: A Tale of Two Souls
1) Dota 2

Whats the reason for having to wait until the 23rd for the first bombcast? Aren't they already done recording? I got shit to do before and during christmas so I'm not gonna be able to listen to them until well after.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Anyone have a list of all of the games that got 5 stars this year? I know DmC did, I feel like Brad might fight for it to get in the Top Ten.

Also fuck you guys, Papers Please needs to be on the list. That game is fucking fantastic.

Was just listening to last week's podcast and I realized something. These guys aren't gaming news/industry enthusiasts. They don't follow the industry as closely as many GAFers do. It seems like they just do what's required of their job, and that's it.

I've been a listener since day one, and I *just* caught onto this. I love them just the same.

Anyone have a list of all of the games that got 5 stars this year? I know DmC did, I feel like Brad might fight for it to get in the Top Ten.

Also fuck you guys, Papers Please needs to be on the list. That game is fucking fantastic.

Devil May Cry
BioShock Infinite
The Last of Us
Gone Home
Rayman Legends
Grand Theft Auto V
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Super Mario 3D

traveler

Not Wario
Did anyone at Giantbomb even play TW101, much less beat it?

Also, I really hope Brad can push Dota 2 into this thing, even if he has no one else's support. And we all know Windjammers is the only real contender for goty.

Zomba13

Is Vinny going to go back to Dark Souls next year? Will Ian be able to make it back? Vinny only has a very small area and the last boss left and it probably won't take him long at all.

Would be cool if Vinny finishes him off fast if they go through a bit on New Game + to fill up some of the stream time or if he jumps into the start of Demon's Souls.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Patrick has a lot of great games to fight for, the way I see it. Fire Emblem: Awakening, Metro: Last Light and The Swapper are all pretty phenomenal.

Did anyone at Giantbomb even play TW101, much less beat it?

Also, I really hope Brad can push Dota 2 into this thing, even if he has no one else's support. And we all know Windjammers is the only real contender for goty.

They did a QL of TW101, but I don't get the impression anyone played it any beyond that.

sixghost

Patrick has a lot of great games to fight for, the way I see it. Fire Emblem: Awakening, Metro: Last Light and The Swapper are all pretty phenomenal.

I'm interested to hear why Patrick liked the end of The Swapper. I was really enjoying it until it went into Indigo Prophecy mode at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom