• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I do genuinely think more games should use Indigo Prophecy's "Depression Meter". It's a really interesting way of tying gameplay and narrative, basing each character's level of motivation on player actions.

ArjanN

I'm interested to hear why Patrick liked the end of The Swapper. I was really enjoying it until it went into Indigo Prophecy mode at the end.

I don't understand this comparison
The ending of the Swapper fits the tone and story of the game perfectly fine.

Indigo Prophecy's story went off the rails halfway through the game and then kept going.

Patrick has a lot of great games to fight for, the way I see it. Fire Emblem: Awakening, Metro: Last Light and The Swapper are all pretty phenomenal.

It weird how Patrick (and Alex) seemed by far the most enthusiastic this year about actually playing games.

Serra

I don't understand this comparison
The ending of the Swapper fits the tone and story of the game perfectly fine.

Indigo Prophecy's story went off the rails halfway through the game and then kept going.

You took the words out of my mouth.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are forgetting The Swapper and Gone Home on your lists, they have to be on theirs. Year Walk is another one I expect.

Xater

You guys are forgetting The Swapper and Gone Home on your lists, they have to be on theirs. Year Walk is another one I expect.

Really did not like Gone Home. To me it was as lame a attempt at interactive storytelling as Dear Esther. I commend them for doing a different kind of story but that's it.

Jintor

I do genuinely think more games should use Indigo Prophecy's "Depression Meter". It's a really interesting way of tying gameplay and narrative, basing each character's level of motivation on player actions.

I don't remember any of it.

What I do think games should use more of is cut-in picture-in-picture cameras. I was so sad they took that out for Hitman: Absolution. (Absolution was also severely gimped, but that's a different story)

If Brad still had not played Rising before the deliberations took place and fights for DmC to be on the list then I'm gonna send him an angry tweet or something.

popo

Whats the reason for having to wait until the 23rd for the first bombcast? Aren't they already done recording? I got shit to do before and during christmas so I'm not gonna be able to listen to them until well after.

'cause they want people to come to the site next week. I know you could argue that there is a void of content this week but at least they are posting trailers and news - next week there will be nothing but what they prepare in advance.

Maybe next year they should consult you about your holiday plans first? Sounds like you are living the high life though so I am sure you can wait to hear some poxy podcast made to entertain the less socially fortunate.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Really did not like Gone Home. To me it was as lame a attempt at interactive storytelling as Dear Esther. I commend them for doing a different kind of story but that's it.

I'm with you; I thought gameplay-wise it was just a kind of limp attempt at an adventure game, and the story just wasn't strong enough to lift that for me. Kind of reminded me of To The Moon, but then To The Moon left me in tears where Gone Home left me sort of mildly pleased.

But at the end of the day, we're mostly talking about GB GOTY, and every single member of staff seemed to love that game.

Jintor

I have to juggle too many things in my brain to play DmC. Also, fuck colour coded invincible enemies forever. Fuck 'em with a pitchfork.

M3z_

I think DMC was totally a better game than MGR. I wish MGR put up more of a fight, but that game did very little in terms of making cool environments, and maybe I just didn't master the combat, but it felt much less diverse than DMC. After playing through DMC I knew I would have to go back and playthrough it again because I felt I had started to get so well equipped with the combat that I needed to play more to start doing fancy shit from the beginning. No such feeling whatsoever with MGR.

'cause they want people to come to the site next week. I know you could argue that there is a void of content this week but at least they are posting trailers and news - next week there will be nothing but what they prepare in advance.

Maybe next year they should consult you about your holiday plans first? Sounds like you are living the high life though so I am sure you can wait to hear some poxy podcast made to entertain the less socially fortunate.

Damn dude, that's kinda rude, Patrick level snark right there, but I was just wondering on the reason for waiting that's all, this week is indeed lacking on content and I'm sure alot of people are going to busy on the holidays.

Massa

Damn dude, that's kinda rude, Patrick level snark right there, but I was just wondering on the reason for waiting that's all, this week is indeed lacking on content and I'm sure alot of people are going to busy on the holidays.

The content isn't up because it's not ready. ;) They want to put up the videos and write-ups out before the podcast spoils them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I think you're reading into his message a bit too much. You're sounding like a dick.

Zero315

Banned
I'm going through the 2011 GOTY casts again because I fucking hate myself. I remember it being bad, but not this bad, and honestly it's mostly Brad. The whole Skyrim thing aside, up to where I'm at in the podcast, he made some really strange and paper thin arguments for trying to keep Renegade Ops on the list. One of them went something like this:

Vinny: I think Renegade Ops is pretty shallow.

Brad: No, it's not. It has RPG mechanics!

Patrick: Yeah, but the RPG mechanics are pretty shallow.

Brad: No they're not. If you level up and pick the perk that gives you more special ammo then you can use the special attack more.

Then he goes on to compare Rayman Origins to fucking Bubsy! I... what?! God, I feel like my brain is fucking melting. One redeeming part was when he tried to cut SR3 early and everyone laughed at him.

ultron87

Oh really? What arcade? I'm up in Cleveland but I'll have to check it out next time I'm down there.
Arcade Legacy in the mostly abandoned Cincinnati Mall on the Northwest Side. Cool place with a ton of sweet games. Even Puzzle Fighter, which is a personal favorite of mine.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does he have anything left to do besides Gwyn? Gwyndolin maybe? I can't remember if he did the Painted World either.

He certainly hasn't done it on stream, but not sure what he has completed prior to the start of streaming.

He has done Painted World.

Realistically, all he needs to do is Gwyn, but he can also go on the end game NPC murder-spree if he'd like all them phat dropz.

popo

I think you're reading into his message a bit too much. You're sounding like a dick.

It was meant to come across more jokey than rude, I guess some people have less exposure to sarcasm than others.

The schedule is the same every year. Each day there is a podcast, an article, a personal top 10 and a quick look for each individuals goty. The podcasts might be ready but the other components might not be.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Vinny had pretty much done most of the entertaining stuff in Dark Souls by the time he started streaming it. Would have been awesome to see him do a start to finish run. Maybe he could start a new character after this and do a soul level 1 darkwraith run, then just stream himself invading people over and over again in undead burg.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seeing how he proceeded through most of the game I don't think he can really be bothered for any gimmicky run that doesn't involve him brute forcing his way through stuff. Pretty sure he would hate a level 1 darkwraith run.

In the meantime, here's something new:

Dumptruck: Paul Barnett's Golden Rule

Haven't listened yet but that description is already boiling my blood. There's only a couple of reasons why there's no road rash reboot:

1) EA has never given it to a competent team to do (like Criterion)
2) Previous attempts seemed more worried about capturing the attitude of Road Rash on 3DO (which I kinda hated btw) instead of capturing the actual gameplay of Road Rash (which was pretty similar for RR1/2/3DO/3). Road Rash was all about tight gameplay mechanics.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Seeing how he proceeded through most of the game I don't think he can really be bothered for any gimmicky run that doesn't involve him brute forcing his way through stuff. Pretty sure he would hate a level 1 darkwraith run.

Of course he won't. I would love to see him doing some invasions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom