• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie OD

For someone who comes across as sort of pleasant, Barnett really presents a lot of the ideas in this interview that are extremely cynical and narrow minded.

Yeah, that interview annoyed me a lot. Sounded too much like him bragging about how much better his era of video games were than any other, even though that wasn't really his intention. Or maybe I'm proving his point right, I don't know anymore.

Right now they are using their own player which works great but costs a ton of money since they have to pay the bandwith bills when using that.

Guess that makes sense as an inbetween until they find something else.

So they'll probably be using Twitch for today's stream since it's free?

Spwn

I wish they'll have a sale on subscriptions during Christmas. Sucks to pay $50 and not be able to take advantage of the $15 store credit since I live in Europe (and I don't like their shirt designs).

popo

Right now they are using their own player which works great but costs a ton of money since they have to pay the bandwith bills when using that.

I wouldn't say a ton of money - it is less than serving that archive file to everyone who would otherwise download it. It is more than zero though - which is what individual streams were costing on twitch. Would be such a shame if they had to cut Daily Dota :)

Actually if it were not for the removal of publisher guard I bet this would not stop them using it. Chat moves so quickly I bet Rorie is a lot more than 60 seconds behind.

I wish they'll have a sale on subscriptions during Christmas. Sucks to pay $50 and not be able to take advantage of the $15 store credit since I live in Europe (and I don't like their shirt designs).

I too wanted to gift a cheap code. If it is your own account then those PAX codes still work.

Apparently the backend for non-shop transactions like this was lost in the redesign. I am sure they would have the sale if they could - as I pointed out earlier, they are losing sales.

Thanks for clarifying that.

and I get told off for being sarky :D

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I remember being bored out of my tree listening to one of Barnett's incredible stories during the GB GDC couch discussions. Years ago I found him really entertaining to listen to.

demidar

Guess that makes sense as an inbetween until they find something else.

So they'll probably be using Twitch for today's stream since it's free?

They should create some kind of encryption to block non-premiums with their own player, since Twitch doesn't want to bring it back, and other streaming alternatives suck.

Zaph

They should create some kind of encryption to block non-premiums with their own player, since Twitch doesn't want to bring it back, and other streaming alternatives suck.
Their own (GameSpot) player allows them to make streams premium-only. Today is FFA because it's the last show of 2013.

However, just like Twitch was, there are ways of getting around the player restriction. I imagine it would be quite an involved process to fully tie the video stream to the authentication system. From what Jeff said, CBSi is already pretty short on engineers.

Patryn

Their own (GameSpot) player allows them to make streams premium-only. Today is FFA because it's the last show of 2013.

However, just like Twitch was, there are ways of getting around the player restriction. I imagine it would be quite an involved process to fully tie the video stream to the authentication system. From what Jeff said, CBSi is already pretty short on engineers.

Yeah, and losing Ian is another blow.

strafer

That's nice of them. :)

Patryn

They haven't "lost" Ian, he never worked for GB, they just roped him in to help out and he eventually joined streams. They still have Alexis.

I was talking about losing him as an engineer, not as an on-camera talent. If you're hurting for engineers and then one quits, that's a loss.

Megasoum

Banned

I think the reason the show is free today is more because they have been having billing issue with the sub website for the last couple of days. They don't exactly have an history of doing free show out of the kindness of their heart even if it was great PR imo.

Zaph

I think the reason the show is free today is more because they have been having billing issue with the sub website for the last couple of days. They don't exactly have an history of doing free show out of the kindness of their heart even if it was great PR imo.
I could be completely wrong, but isn't there always an end-of-year free live stream? Usually when they hook up an old system?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is.

I liked him on his (I think first) appearance on the E3 bombcast/stream, and his story about the whole Sims thing. Then everyone in the community seemed to start talking about what a great storyteller Barnett is, and how everything that comes out of his mouth is gold. Nothing wrong with praising or liking the guy, but I think Barnett started believing that hype himself and every time he appears on something for GB, feels the need to tell a not very interesting story that drags on a bit too much.

popo

pre-holiday streams are almost always free (maybe they have all been, I have not checked).

They'll hire more engineers.

They were already advertising before Ian quit. They are short staffed but as you say, it is temporary. Ian will be missed due to GB "borrowing" him but I imagine it is a lot easier to hire good software engineers than it is on screen talent and writers. Pays more for a start :D

MNC

I'm going through the 2011 GOTY casts again because I fucking hate myself. I remember it being bad, but not this bad, and honestly it's mostly Brad. The whole Skyrim thing aside, up to where I'm at in the podcast, he made some really strange and paper thin arguments for trying to keep Renegade Ops on the list. One of them went something like this:

Vinny: I think Renegade Ops is pretty shallow.

Brad: No, it's not. It has RPG mechanics!

Patrick: Yeah, but the RPG mechanics are pretty shallow.

Brad: No they're not. If you level up and pick the perk that gives you more special ammo then you can use the special attack more.

Then he goes on to compare Rayman Origins to fucking Bubsy! I... what?! God, I feel like my brain is fucking melting. One redeeming part was when he tried to cut SR3 early and everyone laughed at him.

I came to Giant Bomb at around early 2012; I have GOT to listen to these podcasts.

Logistic

I actually just resubbed this morning.

I found a $15 off coupon, from their PAX thread, and paid for a renewal. My sub still says it will expire tomorrow.

I'm sure they will get it sorted out though.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I'm going through the 2011 GOTY casts again because I fucking hate myself. I remember it being bad, but not this bad, and honestly it's mostly Brad. The whole Skyrim thing aside, up to where I'm at in the podcast, he made some really strange and paper thin arguments for trying to keep Renegade Ops on the list. One of them went something like this:

Brad: No they're not. If you level up and pick the perk that gives you more special ammo then you can use the special attack more.

Then he goes on to compare Rayman Origins to fucking Bubsy! I... what?! God, I feel like my brain is fucking melting. One redeeming part was when he tried to cut SR3 early and everyone laughed at him.

The whole staff's attitude towards Dark Souls really did throw me for a loop. I definitely think Patrick and Brad will be "pulled over" by Dark Souls 2, now that it's less of a complete oddity to them. But yeah, jesus, the argument between whether Renegade Ops (a game I haven't seen mentioned in years) or Dark Souls (the 2nd place winner of the community's game of the generation) is the better game seemed crazy.

I'm also going through the old GOTY podcasts; wow, back when they had platform-specific awards it really was kind of a mess. Way, way less interesting when "Which is the best game?" arguments had already happened several times before they even got to Game of the Year.

Zaph

They were already advertising before Ian quit. They are short staffed but as you say, it is temporary. Ian will be missed due to GB "borrowing" him but I imagine it is a lot easier to hire good software engineers than it is on screen talent and writers. Pays more for a start :D
I can't speak for CBSi, but from rumours I've heard of our company hiring for the new-ish SF office, it's a nightmare trying to get good engineers.

Most of them are either snapped up by titans like Google, Facebook, Airbnb etc who offer amazing benefits and make a great first impression with luxurious offices. Or they go work for one of the thousands of startups offering near minimum wage but you get to role the dice on equity.

I imagine CBSi, like the company I work for, is a 'boring' middle ground with most applicants being fresh graduates with little experience.

Kerned

Banned
The whole staff's attitude towards Dark Souls really did throw me for a loop. I definitely think Patrick and Brad will be "pulled over" by Dark Souls 2, now that it's less of a complete oddity to them. But yeah, jesus, the argument between whether Renegade Ops (a game I haven't seen mentioned in years) or Dark Souls (the 2nd place winner of the community's game of the generation) is the better game seemed crazy.

I'm also going through the old GOTY podcasts; wow, back when they had platform-specific awards it really was kind of a mess. Way, way less interesting when "Which is the best game?" arguments had already happened several times before they even got to Game of the Year.

The Dark Souls conversation that year completely blew my mind. It was like I was living in bizarro land.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Renegade Ops was absolutely awesome. I can't fault Brad.

popo

I actually just resubbed this morning.

I found a $15 off coupon, from their PAX thread, and paid for a renewal. My sub still says it will expire tomorrow.

I'm sure they will get it sorted out though.

I think they have to update those paypal ones manually.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Windjammers confirmed for today!

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/414103549367185409

"Today is take your kids to work day. Maybe we should have them come watch us curse our way through Windjammers matches later..."

Gaah, Windjammers is really starting to grate on me. It was good fun the first few times but now it's like they play it for an extended period in every other livestream. It's just a little repetitive.

FHIZ

Gaah, Windjammers is really starting to grate on me. It was good fun the first few times but now it's like they play it for an extended period in every other livestream. It's just a little repetitive.

Agreed. That's the point where I usually do/watch something else.

Lunzio

I can see where you're coming from. They guys tend to focus so much on the game that the stream may lack actual commentary.

Kerned

Banned

Yeah, I am bored to death of watching them play that game. Of course, I was sort of bored to death with it by the second time they played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom