• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quest 64 is a genuinely fun game. No joke. Everyone just wanted some sort of final fantasy type thing and it's definitely not that so all their expectations were so out of whack.

Oh I know, i was kind of making a joke, but also totally serious, it was the first game I got with my N64 and I loved it and wish more games had that kind of magic system

smr00

Banned
That sounds ludicrious. What games was he referring to?

Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time?

Does he mean "Two of the greatest games of all time are on the N64"?
No Mercy and WCW/NWO revenge.

Only N64 games worth a damn. OOT/MM were and still are over hyped and overrated as is Goldeneye. Mario 64? i willgive you that one. It was pretty fucking good. And yes, i am dead series about OOT/MM as well as Goldeneye. I absolutely hated those games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No Mercy and WCW/NWO revenge.

Only N64 games worth a damn. OOT/MM were and still are over hyped and overrated as is Goldeneye. Mario 64? i willgive you that one. It was pretty fucking good. And yes, i am dead series about OOT/MM as well as Goldeneye. I absolutely hated those games.

For it's time, Ocarina was god damned revolutionary.

It still holds up really well.

Same with Super Mario 64. SM64 has some of the most fun controls of any 3D platformer still.

I hate how they nerfed the long jump in the 3D land series. A long jump doesn't go any further than a regular jump now, making it basically useless.

listened to goty 2011 and I still can't believe they gave it to skyrim. That is cuhrazy

now revisiting 2012 and it feels like none of them care that much about what wins and what doesn't. That's fine though, nice to hear them talk about games that they are passionate about

Also it has one of jeff's funniest quotes. When they are discussing the funky barn miiverse: "it's approaching zero."

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Honestly, the more time I spend with it, the more I think it is.

I don't think there's a game that has made me smiled as consistently as Animal Crossing.

For what it's worth, I also bought it for my girlfriend and we play together so that might have something to do with it.

She doesn't play very many video games and seeing the complete wonderment in her eyes as we took the boat together to the island with this sunset and Kap'n singing was honestly magical. She was so entirely enthralled in the game, and we had such a great time playing all these little mini-games together.

On top of that, the game just has so much in terms of little pieces of content and surprises.

I think that's the best thing, it surprises you at every turn.

For example, I started playing again recently and it was winter.

There were snowballs on the ground and I know you could put them together and make a Snowman.

I pushed em together and it was a lady Snowman! I thought aw that's cool! Then I noticed her name was "Snowmam" and had a huge smile like aw that's awesome.

The next day I was rushing and just pushed two small ones together and it was a little kid snowman, a Snowtyke! Adorable! That's how I learned that depending on how big you make the snowballs before hand you make different snow people who all give you different things and offer different games. Snowman, Snowboy, Snowmam, and Snowtyke, all of which are made by using differently sized snowballs. And if you make them in a perfect ratio where the top is just slightly smaller than the bottom, they give you a bonus. Then I went and looked at my snow people today and the first one I made was nearly entirely a mushy water pile on the floor, melting as time went on.

Then, if you accidentally stack the wrong part on top, this happens.

zWSr1dR.jpg

And that's EVERYTHING in the game. Everything has that much attention to detail, and variety, and it's just a constant barrage of it.

When I think back, no game has made me smile as much as this latest Animal Crossing has, and it's honestly probably one of my favorite games of the generation and I think at least deserves to be in the top 10.

Bacon

Sorry for the blatantly off topic post here. Just catching up on the stream today...Danny mentioned that he had to leave to record a podcast. Anyone know what podcast he was doing and if it's any good? I could use more of that dude in my life.

Kerned

Banned
...a bunch of awesome snowman stuff from AC:NL...

I couldn't agree more. It's absolutely in my top 10 this year. Animal Crossing is a great series, and New Leaf is the best one yet. Yeah, maybe I'm biased like you are because my wife loves it, and I love to see her so into a game, but whatever. It's great. Magical even.

Dares

Sorry for the blatantly off topic post here. Just catching up on the stream today...Danny mentioned that he had to leave to record a podcast. Anyone know what podcast he was doing and if it's any good? I could use more of that dude in my life.

There was a 24 hours livestream on twitch.tv/gamespot that he left to get on.

demidar

For it's time, Ocarina was god damned revolutionary.

It still holds up really well.

Same with Super Mario 64. SM64 has some of the most fun controls of any 3D platformer still.

I hate how they nerfed the long jump in the 3D land series. A long jump doesn't go any further than a regular jump now, making it basically useless.

Ocarina may be good, but Majora's Mask is better.

Bomberman 64 is also a fantastic game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Animal crossing to me just became too much of a routine, too much of a grind really. When I played it I really liked it, but once I fell off for even a little bit, when I want to come back to it just thinking about what I have to do put me off ever touching it again. Mind you that was once 40 hours had passed, and while I enjoyed them I feel like I don't ever want to touch it again.

New leaf was my first animal crossing too. I can't fathom playing all of the games everytime it's released, especially when they're as alike as they seem to be.

OMG Aero

Is Animal Crossing: New Leaf one of the 10 best games of the year?
There's enough annoying bullshit in the game that it isn't, like all the item management you have to do since you have to manually stack items instead of it being automatic, and the fact you have to skip through slow moving text whenever you enter a shop or use a service which gets really fucking old once you've been in a shop 50 times.

Flipyap

Is Animal Crossing: New Leaf one of the 10 best games of the year?
Definitely not.
It's a game about two things: making cartoon animal friends and customizing your town, but becoming "best friends" with them means absolutely nothing, since they're as likely to leave the town as the ones you physically abuse and the only way to make sure that someone won't suddenly drop a house-sized turd in the middle of your flower field is to start every single day by making a dummy character and patrolling the whole map. Eff that.
The games still carry over mind-boggling design flaws that have been in the first game on the Nintendo-freakin'-64, so either the people in charge of the franchise are incompetent or they only care enough to add the bare minimum of features to make the same N64 game appear almost-but-not-quite modern. I love Animal Crossing (in theory), but Nintendo deserves no praise for their (deliberately?) half-assed work.

Plus, when even most of the good parts (like the snowman thing) were in the series since the start, you have to wonder if it wouldn't fit better on 2013's 2001 game of the year top ten list.

(Stupid Biskit, leaving my town like that without even a word, what an asshole dog. Thanks for mailing me the framed sexy pic, jerk.)

Darklord

Banned
Fuck, that live stream was terrible. Windjammers, tetris, a windjammers like game, another tetris game, and more windjammers again at the end? Come on...these aren't interesting to watch. At least throw a few different things in there that we haven't seen.

Fuck, that live stream was terrible. Windjammers, tetris, a windjammers like game, another tetris game, and more windjammers again at the end? Come on...these aren't interesting to watch. At least throw a few different things in there that we haven't seen.

You forgot to list Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball.

That's all Giantbomb is thesedays. Unpro Friday is just a rehash of what they have played during the week, Drew brings different games they play for 5 mins then back to stuff we've seen only days before.

I realise it's end of year but it's been going on for months. It's been a tough year since Ryans passing but I find myself getting bored and not even finishing most of their content lately.

They need to rethink their content for 2014, my subs is up in January and I don't see any compelling reason to renew for another year.

Apologists hate on me all you want, it's just my opinion.

I can understand why some people would be disappointed that they play Windjammers so much. But personally I think it's an incredibly fun game to watch, especially now they've played it so much and are playing it with more skill than they did before.

Darklord

Banned
I can understand why some people would be disappointed that they play Windjammers so much. But personally I think it's an incredibly fun game to watch, especially now they've played it so much and are playing it with more skill than they did before.

Then they should have a tournament stream or something. I mean they get a MASSIVE ton of awesome/terrible/weird games in the mail. Remember they got all those FMV games? And Star Trek ones? Someone sent in a huge collect of random games. And not only does Jeff himself has a huge collection but gamespot also has its own personal collection. I think stuff like Windjammers was fine for the 24 hour stream but having it on all the time and an hour of it out of a 3 hour stream at that is too much.

I used to really like those console streams where they'd just bring in a random old console and just play like 50 games on it, it's cool just going through a whole bunch. Windjammers started as that but just never left.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Animal crossing to me just became too much of a routine, too much of a grind really. When I played it I really liked it, but once I fell off for even a little bit, when I want to come back to it just thinking about what I have to do put me off ever touching it again. Mind you that was once 40 hours had passed, and while I enjoyed them I feel like I don't ever want to touch it again.

New leaf was my first animal crossing too. I can't fathom playing all of the games everytime it's released, especially when they're as alike as they seem to be.

I know this sounds really stupid, but I think Animal Crossing, at least for me, is best when played in blocks.

Like you, I had a huge block of game time across the span of like 2 months and it was awesome.

Eventually I fell off and didn't really feel like going back.

But then I did go back, and it was winter, and there were new things to do and new bugs to net and new fish to catch and it all felt fresh again. I've been renovating my house because there was one room I really hated and now it's full of ice furniture I've been getting from the snow people.

I think it's a game that's best served by playing it for a while, stopping when you get bored, then coming back again when there's a whole slew of new content to enjoy.

I love Animal Crossing (in theory), but Nintendo deserves no praise for their (deliberately?) half-assed work.

There are a lot of complaints worth having for Animal Crossing, but half-assed is one I would never even think of using.

There is SO much content, and so much of it extremely well thought out, and so much dialogue, I'd say half assed is the furthest from true. I'd call it whole assed through and through.

There is SO much content, and so much of it extremely well thought out, and so much dialogue, I'd say half assed is the furthest from true. I'd call it whole assed through and through.

Yuuup. Like I said before, Animal Crossing is totally my Game of the Year. I have over 100 hours and don't plan on stopping soon, which is a distinction I can give to very few games. Every month there's new shit. And even if there's not much going on that week or month, I could always decide to get way into fashion checks, or flower breeding, or catch up on the fish for that month, or whatever. None of the mechanics are super deep or anything (although flower breeding gets pretty nuts from what I've seen), but they're all enjoyable and fun to do in little bursts each day. With the exception of about a month that I fell off when school started, I've been playing 15-45 min every day.

There's some design stuff that could be better (auto-stacking in your inventory, for example) but unlike other games this year I was never frustrated by it. The only thing the game punishes you for is not being patient.

OMG Aero

I'm getting kind of sick of watching Windjammers, so I took a break from watching the recording of last night's stream and decided to watch the recently translated episode of Game Center CX where Arino visits Paris.
As part of the show, Arino visits a French game shop and asks the store owner to play a game with him. "This should be fun" I thought to myself, imagining what sort of game this Japanese man and Frenchman are going to compete against each other in.

TQq4lf3.jpg

oh for fucks sake

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely have a saved ebay search for that sanrio dodgeball game.

fourstorks

Neo Member
That's all Giantbomb is thesedays. Unpro Friday is just a rehash of what they have played during the week, Drew brings different games they play for 5 mins then back to stuff we've seen only days before.

I realise it's end of year but it's been going on for months. It's been a tough year since Ryans passing but I find myself getting bored and not even finishing most of their content lately.

They need to rethink their content for 2014, my subs is up in January and I don't see any compelling reason to renew for another year.

Apologists hate on me all you want, it's just my opinion.

Ok.

While I do agree they need to change some stuff up a bit, it's kind of hard to do that when you have a bare bones staff and I give them some slack for that.

I've recently realized I come to Giant Bomb for their distinct personalities; the old and new video games they expose me to is only a consequence of that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do miss FMV Vinny, but I think I also enjoy watching them play games they are interested in playing. Certainly it's better than watching them play an FPS or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom