• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Unless I'm sorely misremembering, but I'm pretty sure you are completely wrong?

Maybe it was that the long jump didn't go anywhere near as far as it did in the older mario games?

I don't know I'll check.

Yep just checked and a regular jump with the jump button held the whole time and a long jump went the same distance.

Will the supposed lack of videos for personal top ten lists this year mark the end of scripted giant bomb content? Outside the skits themselves and the gaming minute I can't think of anything else.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Will the supposed lack of videos for personal top ten lists this year mark the end of scripted giant bomb content? Outside the skits themselves and the gaming minute I can't think of anything else.

Didn't they say they're doing a daily video though? Skits could be in those.

Zaph

I wonder what kind of theme they're going for this year. (Background image from the day 1 video in the Coming Soon list.)

2581602-goty01.jpg

NicolasVH

Neo Member
That's all Giantbomb is thesedays. Unpro Friday is just a rehash of what they have played during the week, Drew brings different games they play for 5 mins then back to stuff we've seen only days before.

I realise it's end of year but it's been going on for months. It's been a tough year since Ryans passing but I find myself getting bored and not even finishing most of their content lately.

They need to rethink their content for 2014, my subs is up in January and I don't see any compelling reason to renew for another year.

Apologists hate on me all you want, it's just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Sub is also up in Q1 2014 and at the current rate of premium content, I'm very much in doubt wether I should renew it. I originally bought it for the Flight Club videos, but god knows what happened to those.

And then there's the Unprofessional Friday's which are really fun, but I'm watching it to see games I haven't seen before. We've seen Windjammers by now and if it were combined with some other additions like you propose I wouldn't care about it so much, but last night's episode was a new low for me.

Aside from that, I get that the GOTY content is taking up a LOT of time but two weeks being almost completely silent is a bit much for me - two half an hour Quick Look's of NES Remix and Max Brotherhood would have been fine for instance.

But hey, I still love GiantBomb. But as a paying customer, I'm a bit disappointed. Shoot me.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Couldn't agree more. Sub is also up in Q1 2014 and at the current rate of premium content, I'm very much in doubt wether I should renew it. I originally bought it for the Flight Club videos, but god knows what happened to those.

And then there's the Unprofessional Friday's which are really fun, but I'm watching it to see games I haven't seen before. We've seen Windjammers by now and if it were combined with some other additions like you propose I wouldn't care about it so much, but last night's episode was a new low for me.

Aside from that, I get that the GOTY content is taking up a LOT of time but two weeks being almost completely silent is a bit much for me - two half an hour Quick Look's of NES Remix and Max Brotherhood would have been fine for instance.

But hey, I still love GiantBomb. But as a paying customer, I'm a bit disappointed. Shoot me.

I'll forgive everything if they have the same glorious first week back as they had last year, which basically amounted to a week of Brad and Vinny fucking around constantly.

kylej

Banned

Agreed. Flight Club, Endurance Run, Encyclopedia Bombastica... where is this stuff? How come Alex and Patrick aren't recording a 20 minute Bombastica three days a week?

I won't stop subscribing because I like to support the guys but the site has been in a huge lull for a long time now. For me the real eye opener was having Jeff Green and Brad Muir on the Bombcast a month or so ago; the energy level was through the roof and you could just feel the constant upbeat tempo emanating through the entire show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Agreed. Flight Club, Endurance Run, Encyclopedia Bombastica... where is this stuff? How come Alex and Patrick aren't recording a 20 minute Bombastica three days a week?

I won't stop subscribing because I like to support the guys but the site has been in a huge lull for a long time now. For me the real eye opener was having Jeff Green and Brad Muir on the Bombcast a month or so ago; the energy level was through the roof and you could just feel the constant upbeat tempo emanating through the entire show.

We've gotten LOL, Volgarr, and Pathfinder in the past few months, so I'm happy with that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wouldn't judge next year's contents with the two week lull before Christmas, and yeah we got plenty of stuff like volgarr and lols.

FStop7

Banned

I do miss Flight Club and Random PC Game. I know Dave's leaving impacted both of those but it's not entirely fair to the subscribers to just stop doing them.

I'd go so far as to say this is maybe the best year for subscriber content yet. If you look at it, we got:

- The debut of Unprofessional Fridays, which has been consistently pretty great all year, or at least has one or two great segments per show. Certainly more watchable than the Happy Hour was.
- Breaking Brads for Volgarr and Devil May Cry
- The Bioforge playthrough, some of the best content they've ever done.
- Spookin' With Scoops really coming into its own with stuff like imscared and Oculus games
- Pathfinder, which personally I wasn't so hot on but others have really enjoyed
- Load Our Last Souls, which has been great and has provided at least 15 hours of content alone

Plus Jar Times, Daily Dota archives, and TNT archives before it ended. That's a lot of good stuff, considering everything they've had to go through this year.

Still waiting on the next episode of Dwarf Fortress :(

It's a real shame that series never took off. Dave really overcomplicated it, I think, by insisting on memorizing everything and having that weird book. If you just follow the quickstart guide on the wiki, the game's really not that hard to learn and starts paying off in wacky shit pretty quickly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man, Daily Dota. I guess that's my version of Windjammers. I had to move to the low quality rss because downloading 3 gig Dota videos was killing me.

CzarTim

I do miss Flight Club and Random PC Game. I know Dave's leaving impacted both of those but it's not entirely fair to the subscribers to just stop doing them.

Yup, that was the stuff that made me subscribe in the first place. I enjoy Unprofessional Friday and the all-too-infrequent Pathfinder, but had I not gotten two years from last year's Christmas sale, I probably wouldn't resub for a bit.

Nishastra

Banned
I'd be perfectly happy if they actually had a weekly Windjammers show, as long as Alexis was always on it. He's the best at taking Jeff down when Vinny's stupid mind games don't work out.

Zomba13

I'm getting kind of sick of watching Windjammers, so I took a break from watching the recording of last night's stream and decided to watch the recently translated episode of Game Center CX where Arino visits Paris.
As part of the show, Arino visits a French game shop and asks the store owner to play a game with him. "This should be fun" I thought to myself, imagining what sort of game this Japanese man and Frenchman are going to compete against each other in.

TQq4lf3.jpg

oh for fucks sake

You can never escape the Jam. Just give in.

On another note. Is there a slam jam with WindJammers theme?

I hope TLoU isn't completely dismissed in the GotY stuff because Vinny and Brad are the only two who finished it (I think)

Can see it being overlooked and then given 2013 GotY in next year's awards :p

Das Ace

I hope TLoU isn't completely dismissed in the GotY stuff because Vinny and Brad are the only two who finished it (I think)

Can see it being overlooked and then given 2013 GotY in next year's awards :p

Everyone except Jeff has finished Last of Us. I kind of doubt they're going to forget about it.

Everyone except Jeff has finished Last of Us. I kind of doubt they're going to forget about it.

Really? I thought Patrick might have but don't recall anyone talking about it at any length aside from Vinny and Brad

Is Patrick gonna fly in for the GotY podcasts btw? When he was on Skype the other week on one of the bombcasts it messed with the flow.

Acid08

Banned
Really? I thought Patrick might have but don't recall anyone talking about it at any length aside from Vinny and Brad

Is Patrick gonna fly in for the GotY podcasts btw? When he was on Skype the other week on one of the bombcasts it messed with the flow.
Vinny and Patrick were the first two to finish it. Drew did as well.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

Patrick flew in for the GOTYcasts already, so he won't be on via skype.

Zoggy

patrick reviewed the game and gave it a 5.

but i doubt its his personal goty, he's already said multiple times on BiTAM that theres no one particular game that sticks out for him this year, hell everyone on the staff has said the same thing.

There has been a ton of amazing content this year, but when there is a lull, you really feel it. When you subscribe you kinda expect that level of content all the time. Maybe that is unreasonable with the amount of staff they have and the other work they have to do, but it just comes with the territory.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, this is pretty much when they take their holidays everytime. I think it's fair enough. Christmas and all that.

Also wow, missed the latest jar time.

popo

Spring Breakers

Could be, Brad tweeted a pic of him in a hawaiian shirt.

I was hoping a rainbow background was new super hero "Patrick - Social Justice Warrior".

How long has patrick been talking about playing Dark Souls and Persona for?

Long time. He apparently saves games for winter, when he doesn't have to fake an interest in football and his wife hibernates or something.

I dunno, this is pretty much when they take their holidays everytime. I think it's fair enough. Christmas and all that.

Also wow, missed the latest jar time.

I suspect he meant the 2 weeks of making the GOTY content as well as the two weeks off. If you were unlucky and subbed for a month in december then you were looking at one LOLS, one UPF and a Jar Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom