• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

I sometimes wonder how they feel about their audience when people in the Mixlr chat are being so creepy as posting Google Map locations of the diner that Jeff and Alex are at.

mattp

I sometimes wonder how they feel about their audience when people in the Mixlr chat are being so creepy as posting Google Map locations of the diner that Jeff and Alex are at.

i think that conversation went something like this

alex: "what are all these links popping up in chat?"
jeff: "people are posting google street view links of where we are right now"
alex: "right...thats super creepy. maybe we should get this to go"

So, like, does anyone besides Jeff use Mixlr? Who even came up with this thing? I can't think of a lot of people crazy enough to livestream their roadtrip and with a big enough audience who would actually care.

D6fSbOO.png

An-Det

It's weird as hell listening to the Mixlr stream and having them do commentary on what they see on highways and scenery and things that I see all the time.

popo

Life as an internet celeb. A lot of the same people who keep you in a job would go through your bins given half a chance.

Patryn

Life as an internet celeb. A lot of the same people who keep you in a job would go through your bins given half a chance.

I also have a feeling the fans of internet celebs have a higher chance of being a little obsessed.

I have to include myself to a degree in that, as well. I mean, how crazy is it that I sat and listened to a couple of guys drive to Boston while I was doing some work?

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

Were they talking about stalking them there? Cause you make it sound like people were posting google views of a place they were talking about? I mean, if you mention a certain place, people who are bored listening to you are probably going to look it up.

I haven't listened to a Jeff Mixlr in quite a while but I would guess Jeff quite enjoys the weirdness of it or else he wouldn't keep broadcasting. Alex is terrible so who cares what he thinks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Were they talking about stalking them there? Cause you make it sound like people were posting google views of a place they were talking about? I mean, if you mention a certain place, people who are bored listening to you are probably going to look it up.

I haven't listened to a Jeff Mixlr in quite a while but I would guess Jeff quite enjoys the weirdness of it or else he wouldn't keep broadcasting. Alex is terrible so who cares what he thinks.

It's weird to post the address of a place where a relatively famous person is having a meal with a friend.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
It's weird to post the address of a place where a relatively famous person is having a meal with a friend.

Again, I need context. Did Jeff go hey, we are going to stop at this place "Burgertown" in shitburg, NY and then people looked up such a place or did people do crazy deciphering to figure out where they were? Just posting that hey, this is where they stopped doesn't seem weird.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Again, I need context. Did Jeff go hey, we are going to stop at this place "Burgertown" in shitburg, NY and then people looked up such a place or did people do crazy deciphering to figure out where they were? Just posting that hey, this is where they stopped doesn't seem weird.

If they posted the places actual website that seems more normal, but linking the google maps page is more of a "look at this location" rather than a "what is this location" type of search.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
If they posted the places actual website that seems more normal, but linking the google maps page is more of a "look at this location" rather than a "what is this location" type of search.

Ahhhh. I see. It's intention you want to project on people so as to judge them. Thanks Patrick.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ahhhh. I see. It's intention you want to project on people so as to judge them. Thanks Patrick.

Surely you can understand how it could be weird for someone to say "I'm eating with my friend at "Burger Joint"" and then random internet goers go "This is the address of where they are right now."

PAX is top much time invest for little video content on the site.

Last friday the staff collectively put up almost 8 out of content in one day - today one interview podcast is scheduled..

:/

Zaph

I dunno, I think stuff like PAX acts as much needed 'book ends' to Giant Bomb's content.

Yeah we might miss out on a few QL's, a UPF and a couple other things, but there's just so much of that same content that's it's good to mix it up with an event break.

Plus, the team usually comes back re-energised by the industry.

I think my ideal Giant Bomb would be 3 weeks regularly scheduled content, followed by a one week at an event/on-location/covering some random Icelandic stuff.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I dunno, I think stuff like PAX acts as much needed 'book ends' to Giant Bomb's content.

Yeah we might miss out on a few QL's, a UPF and a couple other things, but there's just so much of that same content that's it's good to mix it up with an event break.

Plus, the team usually comes back re-energised by the industry.

I think my ideal Giant Bomb would be 3 weeks regularly scheduled content, followed by a one week at an event/on-location/covering some random Icelandic stuff.

Yeah I agree with this. It breaks up the regular work flow. It's the sort of thing where I don't get fresh new great content every day, but I will be getting great different content the next week, and it offers insightful and informative discussion of actual business news.

they come back tired and/or sick you mean.

Next year they will have to choose between GDC and PAX East, maybe they will go to PAX Central instead.

Yeah they end up tired and sick, but I don't think they ever regret going. I think it's the sort of thing that you think about and dread, but the moment you're actually doing it you have a blast.

I think it's worthwhile, even if just as a "meet up and chat with GB fans" sort of event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom