• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very nice post about jeff's talk in NYC:

http://lowcutoff.blogspot.nl/2014/04/recap-jeff-gerstmann-at-nyu-game-center.html
The Q/A segment of the talk was extensive, and more than anything, showed the fondness and respect that people who follow and care about Gerstmann's work have for him. The room was undoubtedly packed with Giant Bomb fans and followers. When asked how many in attendance subscribed to the site, what felt like an overwhelming majority of hands were raised. What do you think about VR? What do you think about sexism in games? What do you think about people who say Proteus isn't a game? What do you think about academic game design programs? Do you have any plans to get back into music production? Many of these questions are only tangentially related to Gerstmann's "job;" they're questions for a guru. And as a clear sign of his adaptability, Gerstmann was able to address all of them. However, there's a chance this amicability could just be an echo-chamber in action. If everyone knows what everyone likes, within a staff, between artist and audience, between game developers and players, then where's the challenge? I went into the talk with a pretty solid understanding of what Jeff Gerstmann thinks about VR, sexism in games, and Proteus, but I learned just how much effort he spends hunting for those challenges. It keeps him up at night, he says, but it also certainly keeps things interesting.

[I'll embed full video of the talk right here once NYU Game Center makes it available]

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Good news! There's some live PAX coverage on the site right now!

Bad news! Not what you're looking for!

Edit: nevermind, it seems it's switched over to another panel.

graboids

I hope this is how they go to the Royal Rumble...

2618579-souledout.jpg

Jeff Gerstmann, world famous video game guru.

Tip of the Day: Ask someone if they are a police officer. Inform the person that they must tell you if they are an officer of the law or not.

It is known to many that a police officer has to reply truthfully to this sequence of questioning. Much grief can be spared following this advice

Lucky numbers for the day are 72 01 92 01 08 0

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Tip of the Day: Ask someone if they are a police officer. Inform the person that they must tell you if they are an officer of the law or not.

It is known to many that a police officer has to reply truthfully to this sequence of questioning. Much grief can be spared following this advise

Lucky numbers for the day are 72 01 92 01 08 0

This is a great post

Mully

While I was waiting on Transistor, I was literally feet away from Rich Gallup, Alex Navarro, and Dr. Tracksuit. I tried to play it cool by not saying anything and watching the Transistor demo play over and over. Only after ten minutes did I realize I had been making eye contact with Alex the entire time while watching the demo. Suffice to say, I think I scared the shit out of him. They moved minutes later after Jeff announced to the group, "Since we're here do you guys want to mess with Lang?"

Pat and Zoe's panel was great. I wish I could have stayed for more than one QA, but I had to check into my room. Patrick is really coming into his own. He brings so much insight and care into everything he does.

Also I got Anne's and Dave's autograph while playing DiveKick for the first time. Man that game is addicting.

Mr. F

Banned
Pat and Zoe's panel was great. I wish I could have stayed for more than one QA, but I had to check into my room. Patrick is really coming into his own. He brings so much insight and care into everything he does.

Honest question; did it really cover any new ground? I get Patrick's crusade against internet jerks or whatever (despite that recent Threes misstep) but it feels like retreaded ground every time he brings it back up. Kind of starts to ring hollow after a while (at least to me).

Honest question; did it really cover any new ground? I get Patrick's crusade against internet jerks or whatever (despite that recent Threes misstep) but it feels like retreaded ground every time he brings it back up. Kind of starts to ring hollow after a while (at least to me).
They addressed that specifically, and with a good point I wouldn't do justice trying to repeat from memory (I'm exhausted.)

But the "doesn't ring true" thing is definitely wrong. Dude cares about it, and he should, and I think it's awesome people with a platform are talking about it. I never intentionally harass people anything like what happened to him or Zoe, but I post super aggressively on here sometimes for emphasis. It's a shitty thing to do and I need to stop it.

Tan

MEGATON: I just started up the Half Minute Hero quick look and it remembered where I last stopped watching.

It's baaaack

Mr. F

Banned
They addressed that specifically, and with a good point I wouldn't do justice trying to repeat from memory (I'm exhausted.)

But the "doesn't ring true" thing is definitely wrong. Dude cares about it, and he should, and I think it's awesome people with a platform are talking about it. I never intentionally harass people anything like what happened to him or Zoe, but I post super aggressively on here sometimes for emphasis. It's a shitty thing to do and I need to stop it.

I didn't mean to imply I question his passion for the subject matter, my point about it ringing hollow was that the subject and the way he was discussing it seemed to get kind of redundant after a while considering how frequently he has been going back to it in recent months.

I guess my skepticism is based on how Patrick can sometimes talk for the sake of talking (as with the recent MGS 'discussion' on the AM show) and over explain certain topics that don't need as much elaboration as he gives them. Was curious if his current internet jerk focus really has the legs he thinks it does or if it was more of that. To me, it seems like a bit of a one and done topic that would have been sufficiently covered through the TEDx talk alone, unless there's specific things he's doing to push the discourse forward. If they really did address it though, that's good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I didn't mean to imply I question his passion for the subject matter, my point about it ringing hollow was that the subject and the way he was discussing it seemed to get kind of redundant after a while considering how frequently he has been going back to it in recent months.

I guess my skepticism is based on how Patrick can sometimes talk for the sake of talking (as with the recent MGS 'discussion' on the AM show) and over explain certain topics that don't need as much elaboration as he gives them. Was curious if his current internet jerk focus really has the legs he thinks it does or if it was more of that. To me, it seems like a bit of a one and done topic that would have been sufficiently covered through the TEDx talk alone, unless there's specific things he's doing to push the discourse forward. If they really did address it though, that's good.

Sort of like activism on a topic that doesn't have enough going on to warrant continuous unending activism.

Brakke

Banned
I don't want to alarm any body but there are still a lot of jerks on the Internet. One TEDx talk does not the entire Internet reach. He keeps doing it and keeps getting feedback from people who thank him for helping them realize they're jerks. Makes sense to keep on it.

I have looked at all Giant Bomb content ever created, and have watched all of Jeff Green playing Dark Souls

There is nothing to do today, Saturday, 12th April 2014...

I guess I will choose a game to play or something... if remember how.

demidar

I have looked at all Giant Bomb content ever created, and have watched all of Jeff Green playing Dark Souls

There is nothing to do today, Saturday, 12th April 2014...

I guess I will choose a game to play or something... if remember how.

I recently discovered Super Best Friends. You should try watching some of their stuff, or listening to their podcast.

Their podcasts are like the anti-Bombcast, they are constantly enthusiastic, generally keep on the topic of games and like and talk about anime.

I recently discovered Super Best Friends. You should try watching some of their stuff, or listening to their podcast.

Their podcasts are like the anti-Bombcast, they are constantly enthusiastic, generally keep on the topic of games and like and talk about anime.

In the wise words of Jeff himself: "What the fuck is this shit?"

daycru

Touring lecturer is a good escape hatch if games media goes totally sideways, smart of him to build a brand and start getting reps in.

FStop7

Banned
I'm listening to the Boston drivestream. The part in the diner is surreal. Firstly, because I'm listening to two strangers eat lunch. Secondly, because it sounds so much like a stereotypical diner with the clanking plates, Van Morrison music playing, etc... it's like foley work. I bet they're not even at a diner. They're in a studio somewhere.

demidar

Next thing you're gonna try to tell me is that Dr. Pepper isn't a real doctor.

Well you know what? I started drinking Dr. Pepper in 1992 and haven't been sick once since. What now?

Dr. Pepper is a chiropractor, and chiropractors aren't real doctors.

Tucah

you speak so well
Video resuming being back is the best news ever. I missed that feature, especially in longer premium streams.

Dug

Banned
How did I never read the description for their PAX East panel unti now?

The Giant Bomb PAX Taipei 2016 Panel Preview Show!
The Giant Bomb team is deep in preparation for for the panel they will deliver at PAX Taipei 2016. Join Jeff Gerstmann, Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, and the rest of the gang as they workshop their Taiwanese material and talk about things like Taiwan’s estimated $307 billion export business. Did you know that over 27% of that export business is to China? Do you hate looking at “Wikipedia” for “facts” about “Taiwan?” Come to this panel, where we actually won’t be talking about any of this meaningless junk, silly!

PANELISTS:
Jeff Gerstmann [Spokesmodel, Giant Bomb], Brad Shoemaker [eSports Technician, Giant Bomb], Vinny Caravella [Executive Producer, Father, Giant Bomb], Alex Navarro [Intercontinental Champion, Giant Bomb], Patrick Klepek [Mayor of Chicago, Giant Bomb], Drew Scanlon [Posture Instructor, Giant Bomb]

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom