• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

What the people want is Dan playing Dota
Dan neither has the strategic mind nor the willingness to learn the intricacies of a complex game like Dota, don't be ridiculous.

Man still thinks C&C is still the epitome of strategy gaming ffs.

the hell with this Lex Mortis game? it started off with potential and just dropped off into garbage tier lol
It's harsh, but that's how many of these games got through Greenlight. Show off a great-looking slice (first 5 minutes, videos of someone slowly exploring the initial forest, approaching the cabin... ) on the Greenlight page and people are fooled into thinking the whole game will be like this. You think that MSPaint map with spelling errors made an appearance on the Greenlight page? Fuck no.

There have been a ton of these well-modelled 3D maps with spooky atmosphere popping up on the service (thanks Slender). Not many of them actually have a proper game behind them (after a while, you manage to spot which are which). There are so many that got approved by showing nothing but a slow flythrough through a 3D map, not displaying any animations or actual gameplay systems, it's crazy. It appears like Drew has made it his mission to show off a couple of them. :D

Zaph

It's harsh, but that's how many of these games got through Greenlight. Show off a great-looking slice (first 5 minutes, videos of someone slowly exploring the initial forest, approaching the cabin... ) on the Greenlight page and people are fooled into thinking the whole game will be like this. You think the map made an appearance on the Greenlight page? Fuck no.

Sell your game with polished vertical slices? Hmm, wonder where they got that idea from...

Myggen

I think this comment from the Evolve QL on GS is a pretty good example of the difference between the GB and GS audience:

Mevrick 3 hours ago
You know, calling these 1 hour episodes of gameplay "Quick Look" is quite misleading. More so when some of them aren't that informative for most of the duration. You might want to consider a "Highlights" cut for better deliverance.

I think this comment from the Evolve QL on GS is a pretty good example of the difference between the GB and GS audience:

...A highlight is taking one thing from a whole video and saying 'look at this specific moment'. A quick look is literally just taking a quick look at the game.

Myggen

Sounds like early GB commenters when QLs started transitioning from ten minutes to forty.

Haha, yeah. Long videos of games was pretty unheard of back then, at least on gaming sites (Something Awful had begun with Let's Plays by then I think), so it was like a foreign concept to a lot of people.

Megasoum

Banned
dScCmfe.png

i tried watching the old stuff once and they were too damn short. lol

Short and in solo.... It's so weird watching those nowadays.

Also the fact they had video reviews back then means that we didn't get quicklooks for big games like Galaxy 2 or Modern Warfare 2 (we ended up getting one for the PC version though).

tchocky

Thank you Jason

Jason Oestreicher ‏@unastrike 19s19 seconds ago
Somehow, I convinced the guys to let me do a Quick Look for Monster Hunter 4U. Look for it tomorrow AM.

Jason Oestreicher ‏@unastrike 44s45 seconds ago
Ok, there really wasn't any convincing necessary... I was just like "hey, who wants to sit in on this QL?".

danm999

Really loving the dynamic between Vinny, Alex, Brad and Dan in the Evolve QL. They should do more stuff over voice chat.

Game looks ok, though I have Jeff's concern not enough of my friends would want to regularly play.

Xeteh

That pretty much happens every time a quick look is posted to /r/games on reddit. There's always a couple of people who get all up in arms about how 40m+ isn't a "quick" look.

Myggen

That pretty much happens every time a quick look is posted to /r/games on reddit. There's always a couple of people who get all up in arms about how 40m+ isn't a "quick" look.

Yeah, on Youtube there's also always someone who think they're the first to comment that "it should be called Long Look, lol" :)

We would like the President to join our internet show Unprofessional Fridays. He could appear for as long as he would like, depending on his schedule. If he's interested, he can pick any video game to play or use his time to speak about any topic that he'd like to get across to our fans. Our office is in the Financial District of downtown San Francisco, and we can be flexible in regards to timing. If needed, my boss Jeffrey Gerstmann can pick him up and provide transportation (he has a four-door in case you need space for Secret Service).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom