• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I'm sure I'm not the first person to point this out, but man, but I've begun to notice this amusing type of exchange that keeps happening between Dan and Jeff. You could almost make a drinking game out of it. Take a shot every time Dan says he likes/loves something (a game, movie, TV show, etc) and then Jeff immediately fires back with how much he hates that thing. Bonus shot if Dan then says something along the lines of, "Well...I thought it was cool."

The best part is you don't really have to search for it since it seems to happen anytime Dan and Jeff are in the same room with each other. Quick Looks, UPF, the BombCast, wherever there is a Dan Ryckert professing his love for something, there is a Jeff Gerstmann ready to take that thing out back and shoot it. It's hilarious.

GolazoDan

I'm sure I'm not the first person to point this out, but man, but I've begun to notice this amusing type of exchange that keeps happening between Dan and Jeff. You could almost make a drinking game out of it. Take a shot every time Dan says he likes/loves something (a game, movie, TV show, etc) and then Jeff immediately fires back with how much he hates that thing. Bonus shot if Dan then says something along the lines of, "Well...I thought it was cool."

The best part is you don't really have to search for it since it seems to happen anytime Dan and Jeff are in the same room with each other. Quick Looks, UPF, the BombCast, wherever there is a Dan Ryckert professing his love for something, there is a Jeff Gerstmann ready to take that thing out back and shoot it. It's hilarious.
This is true, and I'm especially fond of Dan knowing this and always throwing in little statements to set Jeff off again. Mario Sunshine and Majora's Mask. And when he decided to rank Terminator films.

That would happen with everyone, but Dan is really the only one who goes out of his way to talk about things he likes haha.

We're going to get two 2 star reviews from GB in a week aren't we?

I can't see The Order getting less than a 3 because it's gonna get dat production value bonus point. At its least, it looks like an average to above average TPS on a machine whose best TPS so far has been a game where plants and zombies clash in a battlefield.

The touchscreen isn't precise enough.

Several paragraphs later...

It should be an iPad game.

What.

At least Dan explains why he likes Canvas Curse, but not this game. The GameSpot review doesn't do that after beginning by praising Canvas Curse, so it reads like it was written by a confused grandpa who doesn't remember anything about Canvas Curse.

Lelcar

Dan and Brad actually like a lot of the same games, despite the competitive rivalry, those two will probably be on the same side for a lot of "better than" arguments.

You can really feel the age/experience gap between Jeff and Dan. Except when they're talking about food, in which case Dan says something crazy and everyone in the room is taken aback except Jeff, who immediately understands where Dan is coming from.

This is true, and I'm especially fond of Dan knowing this and always throwing in little statements to set Jeff off again. Mario Sunshine and Majora's Mask. And when he decided to rank Terminator films.
I do give credit to Jeff though for resisting the bait when Resident Evil 4 came up in the last demo Derby.

tchocky

You can really feel the age/experience gap between Jeff and Dan. Except when they're talking about food, in which case Dan says something crazy and everyone in the room is taken aback except Jeff, who immediately understands where Dan is coming from.

You notice the age gap most when Jeff makes a reference to some movie or tv show and Dan pauses for a few seconds and says" was that a reference to something" or "never heard of it". When Dan and Drew are on videos together they get pretty much all of each others references.

What.

At least Dan explains why he likes Canvas Curse, but not this game. The GameSpot review doesn't do that after beginning by praising Canvas Curse, so it reads like it was written by a confused grandpa who doesn't remember anything about Canvas Curse.

well, to be fair the first point is in regards to how the game feels on a Wii U, a machine with actual buttons and stuff besides the touch interface. Also, the touch tech on the Wiiu is primitive compared to the multi-touch tech that almost every smartphone uses.

the second point speaks more to how it plays and what he perceives the true value of that game to be: an eshop or ipad release.

You notice the age gap most when Jeff makes a reference to some movie or tv show and Dan pauses for a few seconds and says" was that a reference to something" or "never heard of it". When Dan and Drew are on videos together they get pretty much all of each others references.

or when Jeff is reading Mad magazines before Dan has even been conceived yet. The funny thing is that, even though he is a bit younger than Dan, it was a thing i noticed a lot less when Patrick was around.

GolazoDan

Why do Nintendo review threads always come across like the writer has to sit down and calmly explain why they've done what they've done. Like they've just run over the beloved family dog.

I'd like it to be on iPad just because the Gamepad screen is a bit low resolution and ugly.
A retina quality version of the game is more up my alley.

Plenty of time to wait for the game itself in Europe anyway :(
FIk8vSv.gif
Good lord I always find that gif disgusting.

What.

My interpretation was that since the touch screen and gameplay would be on the same screen it would be better suited for an iPad, where as on Wii U you have to watch the gamepad and then can't really watch the TV.

Good lord I always find that gif disgusting.

BoLwaxX.gif

Anjin M

It's so weird that Dan has such a distinctive voice on podcasts and video, but all that time at Game Informer has led him to develop a much less idiosyncratic style for reviews than one might suspect. I'm not saying his reviews aren't well-written or informative (they are!), but I'd never be able to pick out Dan's review from a selection of reviews from the major sites without the names attached.

Yeah, I think it's funny that Dan's reviews have that GI house style.

The GiantBomb review is why midtier videogames died last gen and close to the only thing we get in the retail console space is AAA bullshit.

Edit: Oh, it's the same person who gave Captain Toad a bad score ?

That games was well worth the asking price too.

LOL @ ginatbomb showing their anti-Nintendo bias again.

Fucking LOL at that Giant Bomb review. He bitches that it should be a cheap app instead of a "fully fledged $40 Wii U title", completely missing the point that it is meant to be a mid-tier budget release instead of an actually fully fledged $60 Wii U title. duncecap.jpg

It's hardly polarizing. Just two sites with a general lack of enthusiasm for Nintendo developed titles wishing it was something it never intended to be.

mr-burns-laughing.gif

Also, the touch tech on the Wiiu is primitive compared to the multi-touch tech that almost every smartphone uses.

the second point speaks more to how it plays and what he perceives the true value of that game to be: an eshop or ipad release.

Resistive touchscreen technology is more precise than capacitive. Fair point on the value thing, though.

Well, isn't the iPad touch screen way, way better than the Wii U one?

No, this is a lie perpetuated by people who conflate multitouch and being able to use a light touch of the finger with being objectively better in all situation. They're different. Resistive is clearly better for action gaming because it's more precise.

No, this is a lie perpetuated by people who conflate multitouch and being able to use a light touch of the finger with being objectively better in all situation. They're different. Resistive is clearly better for action gaming because it's more precise.
The picture quality on the gamepad is real poor, especially in comparison.

You guys realize the only thing more potent than GB's hate and bas against Nintendo is their overwhelming fanboyism for Xbox. I bet Dan cackled evily while typing that review knowing he was helping bring the Big N down.

what happened to the The Order Review Thread?

Locked since the embargo isn't over until Thursday so it would be people just getting nutty over one review.

The day OF my birthday. I 1-up'd you Jimmy!

Angry-WWE-Girl.gif

You guys realize the only thing more potent than GB's hate and bas against Nintendo is their overwhelming fanboyism for Xbox. I bet Dan cackled evily while typing that review knowing he was helping bring the Big N down.

Locked since the embargo isn't over until Thursday so it would be people just getting nutty over one review.

Reggie am cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom