• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

there are valid reasons to choose to shoot in flat or scope format, but it sounds like Jeff is saying that artistic intent doesn't matter much in a game when it adversely impacts your ability to play the game.

I don't get the big deal about black bars. They didn't bother me at all in RE4 or TEW. The actual problem with TEW (on consoles) was the swimmy frame rate early on in the game.

Bacon

Sony tends to get -2 review handicap because they don't strong arm publications and don't have the money to sweeten their relationships with them. Then there's the fact that they tend to be very hands off, and use their IPs as loss leaders. If they're not, all the better.

EA and Ubi have the deep pockets to market a mess of a game and find friendly eyes at the big sites. Not everyone does though. A better context would be they actually get a +2 handicap

The order thread is delivering

Patryn

Commented in the Order review thread to point out that Giant Bomb reviews are 100 percent openly subjective.

Probably shouldn't have done that.

Definitely shouldn't have done that.

I'm totally fucked, aren't I?

The order thread is delivering

Oh that's why Dan gave Kirby such a low score, Nintendo forgot to pay him.

More Gerstmann DriveClub drama popping up
I think he did it in his quick look video. But I know for a fact he's partial to the FH model, which is great. But maybe he shouldn't have been to the one to review the game. Or at least think of other people's tastes before setting the verdict in stone.

Jeff needs to review for other people's tastes

Giantbomb reviews should be objective so amazing games that Jeff hates because he's Hitler like Majora's Mask
and Driveclub
can get the scores they deserve like they did back at gamespot back in the day.

sjack

Banned

f1cb3213249c849827956a72442401f6.jpg

Those don't have to be mutually exclusive, you know.

they're not, but i find that seeing someone's avatar biases me a bit in regards to their posts. I do/did my best to not allow for that but i'd rather not have any issues with implicit biases and consider a post for things such as its poor structure and its grammatical and or logical issues instead. basically, i can feel better about being a terrible person when the things i pick apart are easier to justify to myself.

i'm judging your Joker avy right now
i forget i have that thing. sometimes, i want to take it down but then i wouldn't get a PM every 6-9 months informing me of the artifacts in my crappy avatar. I kinda enjoy those messages.

repeater

Because he is the only one that has stuck through those games from the very beginning and gave them the attention they deserved (I'm talking about the main staff here, not Rorie, Ian or Mat).
I agree that Vinny seems to be the most qualified for this specific review. It does not follow that someone else reviewing the game is "a nightmare". In fact, that sounds like the kind of reasoning we see in review threads. :)

Bacon

It's getting hard to decipher who is for real and who is trying to become the next "Square just shot themselves in the foot" guy

sjack

Banned
I agree that Vinny seems to be the most qualified for this specific review. It does not follow that someone else reviewing the game is "a nightmare". In fact, that sounds like the kind of reasoning we see in review threads. :)

Sorry, I forgot to tone down my obvious hyperbole.

Largo

I'm a little sad to see this game turn out....mediocre? Just okay? I thought it looked like it had a lot of potential, so I got no problems waiting on a deal/rental/PS+. But holy shit, it's like this game was written by HP Lovecraft or something, because people on both sides of the aisle are losing their goddamn minds! I....I'm gonna stay away from any and all The Order threads. It might be contagious.

Where would you even rent the game? Redbox isn't getting it, blockbuster is dead, and gamefly probably has a waiting list right? I have a pre-order at best buy but it doesn't give a ten dollar rewards like I thought it did so I'm not sure whether I'll pick it up. Only 50 bucks because of GCU but that might be a bit much given my backlog, we will see how I feel tomorrow.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm a little sad to see this game turn out....mediocre? Just okay? I thought it looked like it had a lot of potential, so I got no problems waiting on a deal/rental/PS+. But holy shit, it's like this game was written by HP Lovecraft or something, because people on both sides of the aisle are losing their goddamn minds! I....I'm gonna stay away from any and all The Order threads. It might be contagious.

I'll be honest... I'm kinda glad that it's getting bad reviews... Now, don't get me wrong, I don't wish that on any developpers. I work in the game industry myself and it sucks when your game gets bad reviews.

However, I hate it when sometimes exclusives get a free pass from the press. Also didn't help that the devs kinda sounded like dicks yesterday when trying to defend from the "bullying".

The game kinda looked terrible from day 1. It was the most predictable reviews ever.

Volotaire

I'll be honest... I'm kinda glad that it's getting bad reviews... Now, don't get me wrong, I don't wish that on any developpers. I work in the game industry myself and it sucks when your game gets bad reviews.

However, I hate it when sometimes exclusives get a free pass from the press. Also didn't help that the devs kinda sounded like dicks yesterday when trying to defend from the "bullying".

The game kinda looked terrible from day 1. It was the most predictable reviews ever.

I never knew you were in the industry. You learn something everyday.

Curufinwe

However, I hate it when sometimes exclusives get a free pass from the press.

Which recent exclusives have gotten a free pass?

My favorite part of the pre-release The Order threads were people claiming that all the negative comments are just PC gamers who are salty that The Order is the best looking game ever. We're getting some good crazy in the review thread though. I can't stop reading it.

My favorite part of the pre-release The Order threads were people claiming that all the negative comments are just PC gamers who are salty that The Order is the best looking game ever. We're getting some good crazy in the review thread though. I can't stop reading it.

It's like watching a liveblog consisting of list wars, lalalalaalala fingers-in-your-ears line of rationalizations, and schadenfreudean finger pointing and laughter moslty from folks whose allegiances lie elsewhere.

as one of the many neutral parties that thrives off watching the chaotic whirlwind surrounding the aftermath of a poorly rated exclusive title, i gotta say it's been alright so far.

Largo

I mean, the game is what it is. If it's getting reviews solidly 5-7 (or equivalent), that's what it earned. I have no issues with that.

That being said, I politely disagree and don't think it looked terrible. Graphics were top-notch, the various shots of guys limbs blowing off and such seemed like it would bump up the action and well...seems like a let-down. But like I said, the vitriole is....uh, it's something.

I'm convinced there's some magic formula we can use to predict when this happens, like super-bookies who can bank on sports events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom