• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when people say dan isn't an idiot what their definition of the word is...

We don't use it to mean mentally subnormal really any more and every time he tries to prove he's smart really that compounds it all in my mind. If he's "smart" but does and says the things he does then, well, he's an idiot.

They should put him in the dictionary words evolve and he is the perfect concise example.

Don't be a jerk

Don't be a jerk.
A self-explanatory rule, but an important one nonetheless. People who disagree with you are not "insane." They are not "pathetic." They are not "a dick." Even if you think they're wrong about something, there's no reason to treat them with disrespect.

If someone is posting something that terrible or offensive that you really feel the need to respond strongly? Either keep it clean or report it to a moderator and one or more mods will decide what to do. Y'all are rather good about not needing mod intervention, so I can trust that will rarely ever happen.

Remember that the Giant Bomb staff are posters and read this thread.
Please try to remember that Jeff, Brad, Patrick, and Vinny are posters here. While that doesn't mean you can't criticize or disagree with anything they say or do (more on that below), it does mean that you should treat them like any other NeoGAF user: with the same respect as outlined above. While commentary on a on-screen personality's attitude or performance in games is expected, try to remember that they're reading the things you write, and that it impacts whether and how they'll respond here.

we need this back in the OP

I'm trying to watch the TotalBiscuit podcast because Danny is on it, but this is super cringey so far.

I tuned in after it started but they've only talked about pizza and then introducing Danny so far. Seems pretty tame to me.

Edit: Interesting hearing Danny talk a bit about how Gamespot has to change since Youtube is on the rise. Danny is a well spoken guy.

frostyxc

No one reads the OP, so no, it really doesn't need to be there. And if it were there, people will still say what they're going to say, anyway. What Frith said wasn't even offensive, just that he/she thinks Dan is an idiot. I disagree, but to each their own. Opinions are shared and discussed.

I shared my opinion with those squirrels in that crappy tree across the street by giving them the finger and they shared their opinion on my house by burning it down. I think we both learned a lot that day. Mostly about keeping your insurance (tree or house) current.

I think Depeche Mode has a song about this...

People are people,
So why can't squirrels see,
They shouldn't burn down my goddamn property!
Bom! Bom! Bom! Bom!

No one reads the OP, so no, it really doesn't need to be there. And if it were there, people will still say what they're going to say, anyway. What Frith said wasn't even offensive, just that he/she thinks Dan is an idiot. I disagree, but to each their own. Opinions are shared and discussed.

I shared my opinion with those squirrels in that crappy tree across the street by giving them the finger and they shared their opinion on my house by burning it down. I think we both learned a lot that day. Mostly about keeping your insurance (tree or house) current.

I think Depeche Mode has a song about this...

People are people,
So why can't squirrels see,
They shouldn't burn down my goddamn property!
Bom! Bom! Bom! Bom!

5agoLqK.gif

komplanen

You guys remember when Dan and Drew played some PSOne and PS2 games together? The games had some robots and nanomachines and stuff. It was so long ago I don't remember much but I feel like they should do something like that again just for old time's sake...

Kirlia

Banned
I wonder when people say dan isn't an idiot what their definition of the word is...

We don't use it to mean mentally subnormal really any more and every time he tries to prove he's smart really that compounds it all in my mind. If he's "smart" but does and says the things he does then, well, he's an idiot.

They should put him in the dictionary words evolve and he is the perfect concise example.

Welcome to the Giant Bomb OT! Enjoy your stay.

I strongly disagree with you, by the way.

tchocky

I wonder if there is any chance of a Eurovision podcast this year with Drew and Danny. I would like Dan as well but it my be too artsy fartsy for him. I thought of this because they are allowing the European country of Australia to enter this year.

FStop7

Banned

Dan isn't an idiot. At all. But he has some enormous socio-cultural blind spots and loves to brag about them as if they were a badge of honor. And for that reason, I'm not going to listen to Danswers. There's nothing wrong with ignorance. We're all ignorant of many things. Proud and defiant ignorance is what I have no time for.

Frith

i really don't see how anything i have said is worse than the rest of the dan chat.

i like dan i'm glad he's at gb but he's a chuckle head and you all know it.

i apologise if you feel i have stepped over the line but i hope it wont hurt dan too much to hear the news that some one online thinks the word idiot is a term thats only really useful for people who are normal but act dumb.

i await judgment

i really don't see how anything i have said is worse than the rest of the dan chat.

i like dan i'm glad he's at gb but he's a chuckle head and you all know it.

i apologise if you feel i have stepped over the line but i hope it wont hurt dan too much to hear the news that some one online thinks the word idiot is a term thats only really useful for people who are normal but act dumb.

i await judgment

It's more just rude than anything. You're free to view him however, but this is a guy that posts here and chats with us. It's not hard to treat others with respect, do you call people idiots and the like in regular social situations?

Flanderization be a thing yo.

Jeff isn't burnt out on games, he just has strong opinions.

Brad isn't bad at games, he just goes deer-in-the-headlights on camera sometimes.

Dan isn't an idiot, he's just rather culturally specialized.

Vinny isn't a completely wacky and crazy guy, he just knows how to PLAY his games.

Alex isn't bitter, he's just a bit cranky from time to time.

Drew isn't boring, he just has a rich life outside of video games.

Rorie isn't dog-obsessed, he just is a dog.

Frith

The rules on GAF in general are clear about how you can refer to people who are members of GAF, which Dan is, and EmCee created the specific rules for this thread for a reason.

why have you singled out my post and not all the other post critical of dan?

he is the one who talk's about being labelled an idiot in multiple podcasts

i'm not someone slinging slurs out of the blue if anything i'm responding to the threads prior specific criticisms and dan himself.

It's more just rude than anything. You're free to view him however, but this is a guy that posts here and chats with us. It's not hard to treat others with respect, do you call people idiots and the like in regular social situations?

well i don't want to be rude hows this

dan protests people complain he's is "an idiot" he says it all the time

i am positing that him saying 'no look i'm smart i got the grades i just do and say loads of dumb stuff'. that to me and maybe others is the actions of someone worthy of the label idiot, so maybe he should chill and not worry about it. i started my post saying i didn't understand other peoples definition of idiot.

my partner and i affectionally call each other idiots all the time.

I can only imagine that i'm gonna get nuked for all this but i feel like theres no need to circle the wagons on this one i'm using a word that even Jeff has affectionally used and up till this point i didn't think was particularly offensive.

i'm rapidly reappraising the situation

he is the one who talk's about being labelled an idiot in multiple podcasts

i'm not someone slinging slurs out of the blue if anything i'm responding to the threads prior specific criticisms and dan himself.

well i don't want to be rude hows this

dan protests people complain he's is "an idiot" he says it all the time

i am positing that him saying 'no look i'm smart i got the grades i just do and say loads of dumb stuff'. that to me and maybe others is the actions of someone worthy of the label idiot, so maybe he should chill and not worry about it. i started my post saying i didn't understand other peoples definition of idiot.

my partner and i affectionally call each other idiots all the time.

I can only imagine that i'm gonna get nuked for all this but i feel like theres no need to circle the wagons on this one i'm using a word that even Jeff has affectionally used and up till this point i didn't think was particularly offensive.

i'm rapidly reappraising the situation

I think I get what you mean, but it's best to just avoid that kind of talk in general. Dan's kind of a doofus sometimes, just like I am, but that doesn't make him dumb. He, like me, lacks common sense a lot of times. With that said, I really love his positive attitude and his interest in learning things of which he was previously ignorant.

Myggen

Because the rules explicitly allow being critical of someone, but not calling names. There's a clear distinction there.

Also, your comment came off as pretty random drive by posting. I agree that it's not the worst thing in the world to call someone, but again, the rules are in place because people have a tendency to get too personal about shit in this thread. So, it's better to avoid that stuff all together than accept something and then draw a blurry line.

Brad isn't bad at games, he just goes deer-in-the-headlights on camera sometimes.
Is there any proof that Brad isn't bad at games? Word of mouth aside, I would feel better if I can watch him play video games and say to myself "nah he's just bad on camera and I know he's not always bad at games because of [x]."

Myggen

Is there any proof that Brad isn't bad at games? Word of mouth aside, I would feel better if I can watch him play video games and say to myself "nah he's just bad on camera and I know he's not always bad at games because of [x]."

As you would have to watch him play a game on camera to find out, I don't think that theory can be proven either way.

You can ask him if you can come home to him to watch him play games for a few hours.

As you would have to watch him play a game on camera to find out, I don't think that theory can be proven either way.

You can ask him if you can come home to him to watch him play games for a few hours.
Yup, that's the tough part. I myself dunno what would satisfy my own request. An achievement/trophy list? Someone saying "dur you know he got 1st at EVO 2003" or "he's rank x at DOTA 2."

Tell you what guys, I'll take a look at Brad's Daily Dota series and ascertain if he's good at the game. I am confident in saying that I am the best Dota player lurking this thread right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom