• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

With Dan being the Metal Gear editor and Brad being the Anime editor, which will review MGSV?

Dan has probably seen more anime than Brad the last couple of months, and said he would prefer a MGS anime series to a Hollywood series on this week's Bombcast.

So maybe Dan is the new anime editor?

Myggen

Oh, fuck that shit. I'm talking about all the other stuff he says in regards to journalism, youtube, etc.

His views on GG and all that has surrounded that (he recently wrote a 2000 word manifesto for the Reddit hub of GG, so he's still very much in it) is what most people really don't like about him though. His views on journalism in general aren't exactly nuanced, but that's not what has made a lot of people really turn against him.

Don't mean to turn this into gamergate hour again in here, but...

What?

I'm talking about total biscuit's dumbass stand on gamer gate.

I read that as you saying that being pro GG shouldn't be "a hard pill", in other words "no big deal". Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Oh I know all about it, I just think I misread Antiwhippy's comment.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I read that as you saying that being pro GG shouldn't be "a hard pill", in other words "no big deal". Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Oh I know all about it, I just think I misread Antiwhippy's comment.

Ah whoops. Guess I was re-appropriating a metaphor wrongly.

You mean all the stuff that revolves around him being a Gamergate figurehead?

Oh you're right, I didn't know Danny was really on the Co-Gamergate podcast earlier. And when TB complains about a lack of FoV in a game he's secretly talking about ethics in gaming journalism. /s

If you judge someone by one thing they do or believe in, you're going to find yourself hating alot of people.

Myggen

You mean all the stuff that revolves around him being a Gamergate figurehead?

Yeah, it's impossible to separate that stuff for me. He was always banging the drum about journalism mostly being horrible, but it's been mixed up with GG and tainted forever now.

Also, fun(?) fact, he's still a premium member of GB.

I don't have any problems with Danny appearing on his podcast though. I just really dislike TB now, and I used to be a fan.

Yeah, it's impossible to separate that stuff for me. He was always banging the drum about journalism mostly being horrible, but it's been mixed up with GG and tainted forever now.

Also, fun(?) fact, he's still a premium member of GB.

I don't have any problems with Danny appearing on his podcast though.

Yeah, today he talked about GB and mentioned that he holds alot of respect for Gerstmann, where even if he knows that Jeff doesn't like X game, he can still listen to him talk about that game and be able to take out critiques from it. He has alotta love for GB from the looks of it. I don't blame him, Drews handsome.

On the other hand, sometimes that one thing they do or believe in is so big you know that they're going to be incompatible with your worldview in pretty much every other capacity.

*Shrug* Alright then. I just ignore that side of him.

Oh you're right, I didn't know Danny was really on the Co-Gamergate podcast earlier. And when TB complains about a lack of FoV in a game he's secretly talking about ethics in gaming journalism. /s

If you judge someone by one thing they do or believe in, you're going to find yourself hating alot of people.

That one thing he believes in is a hate campaign against the voices of diversity in gaming that's driven at least three people that I know of from their homes.

So yeah, fuck him.

Jintor

On the other hand, sometimes that one thing they do or believe in is so big you know that they're going to be incompatible with your worldview in pretty much every other capacity.

I'll make this clear again for you: I fine with whatever Danny does and who he associates with, because I know he isn't completely entrenched in pushing and legitimizing a hashtag movement full of the worst kind of harassing, swatting, and doxxing trolls.

TB, on the other hand, has done exactly that and more for the past 6 months.

Go ahead and watch his quick looks and rant videos. He's still a scumbag Gamergater.

Edit: Sorry, got too heated there. Toned down the language.

bonercop

sometimes it's okay to judge people. I could buy this line of thinking had he apologized and backed off from GamerGate once no could pretend anymore it was about anything other than harassing women.

Instead, he doubled down and started involving himself even more directly.

danm999

I mean, sometimes the thing someone believes in is so ubiquitous to their world-view and what they do that I can't get past it.

Myggen

sometimes it's okay to judge people. I could buy this line of thinking had he apologized and backed off from GamerGate once no could pretend it was about anything other than harassing women anymore.

Instead, he doubled down and started involving himself even more directly.

Agree. I don't mind that others choose to ignore that side of him, but I just can't because I've followed GG so closely. I think we're all hypocrites when it comes to that kind of stuff in one way or another though, I still love a lot of Roman Polanski movies for example and am able to "ignore" his fucking awful personal history. Same with Woody Allen and personal shit.

Agree. I don't mind that others choose to ignore that side of him, but I just can't because I've followed GG so closely. I think we're all hypocrites when it comes to that kind of stuff in one way or another though, I still love a lot of Roman Polanski movies for example and am able to "ignore" his fucking awful personal history. Same with Woody Allen and personal shit.

Unfortunately, that personal stuff tends to ruin that person's output for me. I enjoy Mel Gibson movies a lot less since his crazy outbursts, I really don't like Tom Cruise or Will Smith movies as much because of scientology, and I really can't stand any Roman Polanski movies. Granted, everybody has their faults, but some are harder to get past than others.

Polanski's own personal issues don't bleed into his movies though, and there's really no shame in admitting that he has made some incredible art. Allen's issues do kind of unfortunately taint some of his movies, but you can still divorce him the person from his output if you're inclined.

TB's stances are directly mingled with his work. His job is giving opinions about games and the games industry and a lot of his opinions and politics are fucking toxic. And it's kind of a shame, because he clearly has the talent and opportunity to be quite good at what he does; but it's just so irreversibly poisoned at this point that it's not worth giving the time of day.

bonercop

Sure. tbh, consistent "ethical consumerism" is pretty much impossible without considerable effort and it ultimately has very limited effect. I just don't like people making excuses for said unethical people/practices.

Myggen

Polanski's own personal issues don't bleed into his movies though, and there's really no shame in admitting that he has made some incredible art. Allen's issues do kind of unfortunately taint some of his movies, but you can still divorce him the person from his output if you're inclined.

TB's stances are directly mingled with his work. His job is giving opinions about games and the games industry and a lot of his opinions and politics are fucking toxic. And it's kind of a shame, because he clearly has the talent and opportunity to be quite good at what he does; but it's just so irreversibly poisoned at this point that it's not worth giving the time of day.

Well, that's true. But TB still makes a lot of videos that are largely not tainted by his views on GG and such, like many of his WTF is... videos, his technical stuff. You could argue that his views on that stuff will taint all his views on games and games culture, but I wouldn't go that far.

But my point is that we all have our limits to what we accept of behaviour we don't like from people who make entertainment we enjoy, regardless of whether we see those views reflected in that art/entertainment or not.

People like TB? Always came off as kind of an aggressive/arrogant dude to me by the way he responds to criticism.

He's always been arrogant (the 155 IQ post on Something Awful is infamous for a reason), but before GG I found him entertaining at times. I'm not able to look past his vocal support for GG now, so I haven't watched anything of his since that shit started.

santeesioux

I've never really followed Totalbiscuit, but i liked the video he came out with after Sandy Hook standing up for gamers after the media demonized everyone that played them.

He's always been arrogant (the 155 IQ post on Something Awful is infamous for a reason), but before GG I found him entertaining at times. I'm not able to look past his vocal support for GG now, so I haven't watched anything of his since that shit started.

That 155 IQ on SA is hilariously infamous. There was a thing a while back where he openly just posted stupid shit he did and it was crazy seeing all of it and going "... Oh god he did say that back then didn't he." He actually had to lay off Twitter for a while around the time he was having VISA troubles and there were points where he would just explode on Twitter.

I sure am glad I don't care about Gamergate. Gaming sure is a lot more fun when you don't give a shit about any of that. Everyone has their limits when it comes to these sorta things, and I still don't really care or really want to dig into GG because fuck that shit. Everyone has their limits of how far someone can go before they just start outright despising them. I guess I have a very relaxed limit, because I really don't give a shit. I can live with people viewing things differently from me anyway.

That 155 IQ on SA is hilariously infamous. There was a thing a while back where he openly just posted stupid shit he did and it was crazy seeing all of it and going "... Oh god he did say that back then didn't he." He actually had to lay off Twitter for a while around the time he was having VISA troubles and there were points where he would just explode on Twitter.

I sure am glad I don't care about Gamergate. Gaming sure is a lot more fun when you don't give a shit about any of that.

How I see it, is I know about it. I hear stories. I take it in. But I don't let it corrupt my enjoyment of gaming and what not. I've seen people say they want to quit gaming or just stop gaming at all because of it and I go to myself..'Really?'. Different people, different ways to view a situation IMO. But you should know about it.

santeesioux

I sure am glad I don't care about Gamergate. Gaming sure is a lot more fun when you don't give a shit about any of that.

As an Independent, the political shit throwing back and forth was an interesting sight to behold though. Crazy conservatives commandeering one side saying they're liberal against far left liberals. It's fucking video games, guys.

Anjin M

It's not that hard to avoid works made by people that I find reprehensible. For instance, I will never read an Orsan Scott Card work while there is a chance that it would benefit him financially. I'm pretty much waiting for him to die before reading Ender's Game. I don't begrudge others for their stances on such issues, but there are some lines that I can't cross.

How I see it, is I know about it. I hear stories. I take it in. But I don't let it corrupt my enjoyment of gaming and what not. I've seen people say they want to quit gaming or just stop gaming at all because of it and I go to myself..'Really?'. Different people, different ways to view a situation IMO. But you should know about it.

God damn. I think that's the biggest thing that gets to me. Even the stuff I do see, none of it is enough to garner some heated emotional response in me that would essentially end with me picking a side and taking part in the shit flinging. It's not something I see myself engaging in, it is not a battle I want to take part in. Maybe I'm not as idealistic, but at the same time I don't think it's a fighting worth getting involved in. I have my own shit to deal with in life, fuck that shit I want to put my feet up and laugh whenever some weird physics shit happens in Battlefield.

As an Independent, the political shit throwing back and forth was an interesting sight to behold though. Crazy conservatives commandeering one side saying they're liberal against far left liberals. It's fucking video games, guys.

It's like you can use it as a human case study. Things change when you see and hear the things human beings can say and do to one another.

God damn. I think that's the biggest thing that gets to me. Even the stuff I do see, none of it is enough to garner some heated emotional response in me that would essentially end with me picking a side and taking part in the shit flinging. It's not something I see myself engaging in, it is not a battle I want to take part in. Maybe I'm not as idealistic, but at the same time I don't think it's a fighting worth getting involved in. I have my own shit to deal with in life, fuck that shit I want to put my feet up and laugh whenever some weird physics shit happens in Battlefield.

Like, I understand if it affects you personally. But someone who isn't personally affected reacting like that...I can't understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom