• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

The climbing in Grow Home feels amazing.

It's actually a freely controllable climbing mechanic. It's not a context-sensitive "hold a button + up and the game does everything for you" like in other games. You control each hand individually, can move the body and the hands in any direction, grab any surface. If you master the mobility from grab -> jump -> jetpack -> grab you can execute moves you couldn't ever do in something like an Uncharted or AC or Dying Light, where the game dictates what you can and can't grab onto, what kind of moves the game automatically selects for you. Movement, traversal and climbing feels much more free-form and expressive in Grow Home.

And that's important because it is mainly an exploration game, after all. You can jump off the plants while you grow them and they'll do a little swirly thing, or you can direct them fairly straight to reach the different islands. You can also connect them to each other, or to different places on the bigger islands to create a connective plant network that enables you to go to different places quicker. It's creative, expressive and useful.

Other touches they might have missed in the QL: you can click the right stick to zoom out and see more of your surroundings (useful to locate crystals, would've helped them see the one they could only hear). That flower in the ground they couldn't figure out what to do with is actually a launcher giving BUD some serious airtime. There's an additional plant BUD can pick up, a gliding leaf which gives you more mobility compared to the slow-falling flower. The teleporter screen shows how far you're up (the goal is at 2000m, the island they reached in the QL is somewhere around ~650-700m). The bigger island they reached is littered with neat little geographical touches. That waterfall offers some pretty sweet platforming if you want to. There's caves, the mountain, forests of trees and mushrooms, all with their own little alcoves and crystals to find.

It's 7,99 on Steam and I highly recommend it.

Dazzler

I'm with Jeff on Majora's Mask. For me, it was the time restraint that's constantly in the background of the game. I can't get on board with games that have time limitations at all

I want to explore at my own pace, not constantly be looking over my shoulder at the clock

Yeah but I'm with Dan. If you did it right, the time limit was a joke to the point of it being a non-issue in the dungeons. The passage of time in the overworld was awesome.

LegoArmo

Jeff's review of Majora's Mask doesn't quite match up with the way he talks about it. It sounds like if he reviewed it now he'd give it 2 stars.

Frith

The climbing in Grow Home feels amazing.

It's actually a freely controllable climbing mechanic. It's not a context-sensitive "hold a button + up and the game does everything for you" like in other games. You control each hand individually, can move the body and the hands in any direction, grab any surface. If you master the mobility from grab -> jump -> jetpack -> grab you can execute moves you couldn't ever do in something like an Uncharted or AC or Dying Light, where the game dictates what you can and can't grab onto, what kind of moves the game automatically selects for you. Movement, traversal and climbing feels much more free-form and expressive in Grow Home.

It's 7,99 on Steam and I highly recommend it.

alex isn't moving the camera enough it's as important as in a third person shooter. aiming where your hands land is THE mechanic one you get that down your sprinting round the world and it feels amazing. hopefully he keeps going cos when it clicks is great.

Haunted

Another great ubisoft game
Well, Reflections didn't get many chances to prove themselves since Ubi bought them a couple years ago. They're probably still best known for making Destruction Derby and the Driver games, but since Ubi acquired them, they've mostly been relegated to grunt work for bigger projects at other Ubi studios. :/

Grow Home is their first own game in quite a while (since Driver: SF in 2011), and it's pretty awesome.

demidar

Yeah but I'm with Dan. If you did it right, the time limit was a joke to the point of it being a non-issue in the dungeons. The passage of time in the overworld was awesome.

I like that time was your enemy. I also love Dead Rising with the way the time limit breathes down your neck.

Megasoum

Banned
Well, Reflections didn't get many chances to prove themselves since Ubi bought them a couple years ago. They're probably still best known for making Destruction Derby and the Driver games, but since Ubi acquired them, they've mostly been relegated to grunt work for bigger projects at other Ubi studios. :/

Grow Home is their first own game in quite a while (since Driver: SF in 2011), and it's pretty awesome.

Driver SF was my GOTY that year so fuck yeah Reflection.

Jeff's review of Majora's Mask doesn't quite match up with the way he talks about it. It sounds like if he reviewed it now he'd give it 2 stars.

He's talked about it many times on Bombcasts & such. The way it was scored back then means that because it excelled at a lot of the technical aspects & such it got a higher score in general. Also it's worth taking into account that he lays on the hyperbole about how much he dislikes it these days for the sake of comedy.

He's talked about it many times on Bombcasts & such. The way it was scored back then means that because it excelled at a lot of the technical aspects & such it got a higher score in general. Also it's worth taking into account that he lays on the hyperbole about how much he dislikes it these days for the sake of comedy.

Plus that shows he ain't letting his personal disdain get in the way of his proffessional advice. The mark of quality in a reviewer.

Pomo

I'm with Jeff on Majora's Mask. For me, it was the time restraint that's constantly in the background of the game. I can't get on board with games that have time limitations at all

I want to explore at my own pace, not constantly be looking over my shoulder at the clock

I completely understand why the time thing can be off-putting. I hated the idea of it when the game was released, but today I love it. I guess I don't really see it as a time limit. You can reset time whenever you like, however many times you like, and the world will always follow the same motions through the game's three days. The three day system allows for you to explore not one world, but six. Each day/night has its own specific events, and if you miss them the first time, you can reset the timer and see them all. You'd have to, because there are several events occurring at the same time in different places. I think it's kinda beautiful.

God, I love that game.

I never played Super Stardust on the PS3, might pick up this version on my PS4. Looks good.

It came out at a time where the PS3 peeps were really hungry for something resembling Geometry Wars.

It's no GeoWars but it's definitely an enjoyable dual stick shooter of its own. I'm going to pull the wait-for-ps+ card since i have it for the PS3 but if you've never played it it's worth your time.

I rearranged my apartment so that I'm sitting about half as far from the TV as I used to, and I finally see why people have complained about the video quality on the site! Of course this Stardust game isn't the easiest one to encode, either.

I rearranged my apartment so that I'm sitting about half as far from the TV as I used to, and I finally see why people have complained about the video quality on the site! Of course this Stardust game isn't the easiest one to encode, either.

For some reason, regardless of what their settings are in regards to resolution and/or bitrate, they always manage to make an Assassin's Creed game look like blocky muddy poopbutt. It's a hell of a thing.

sjack

Banned
The more I play the game, the sadder I am that this song wasn't considered for best music.

That chorus kills me.

That reminds me. After the last trailer, I became unironically excited for Dancing All Night once I saw all the people that were involved with the remixes. I had a genuine, "Wait, what?" moment when I saw the name Akira Yamaoka in the trailer.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, I the more I hear about GI the less I can imagine Dan working there (from his Tumblr)
Is your Ride to Hell stream from Game Informer lost forever, or did you guys archive it outside of Twitch?

It was banished from the internet, unfortunately. The bosses didn’t like that we were cussing and drunk by the end.

Yamaoka seems like a really genuine, humble guy, who truly loves what he does. His involvement isn't a surprise to me, but it's welcome. There's actually a ton of great people doing remixes for it. I'm super excited for the NARASAKI, DE DE MOUSE and TOWA TEI remixes.

Mr. F

Banned
Damn right. Zeus/Poseidon was my jam. I still have the discs lying around somewhere. I never did very well at the game, the military part of it always escaped me, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Hah, fortunately military scenarios didn't come up often enough to get annoying or detract from the over all experience. I just want to build/micromanage massive ancient cities in peace, dammit!

Fjordson

Way way late catching up on last week's UPF. Great show with Strangehold and Quake.

But now I've installed Quake Live on my work laptop and am sneaking in games during downtime. Dark times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom