• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

YES

THANK YOU GIANT BOMB
ibdQQEMP1U8o5l.png

...but that 3D shark really fucked them in the ass.
A Dynamic Laser Cat GL Theme is perfect for Meme Run Enthusiast™ Jeff Gerstmann.

valeo

I feel like this would be a good ~$20 game; but I think you should be able to instantly spawn on your team if youre too far away

shwimpy

That was fun but that's all the Evolve I needed to see. Might pick it up on a steam sale later on down the road but no campaign = no buy. Plus the DLC situation is absolute horseshit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder if something like a MH style of campaign progression can work for evolve, but yeah, I don't really want a MP only game.

I'll probably play Evolve when it has a Steam free weekend, but no more than that.

The presentation on release is a big step up from the Big Alpha™.

She feels like a PR rep for the game.

It would've been interesting to see how they played Evolve without Mary guiding them the entire way through. In my brief playing during the alpha, I could barely make heads or tails of how to play... I doubt GB would fare much better.

Is the Evolve QL as dreadfully boring as that segment on UPF Mary did a while back?

Basically; aside from some of Vinny's, Alex's, and Brad's shenanigans peppered throughout.

It does a good job of outlining what the game is at least, which is something that I haven't really seen until now.

valeo

It also seems kind of boring.

Looks quite fun to me if you had 3 people who also knew how to play.

I'm a big fan of team-based shooters, though. Have played CS for the last 10 years and a lot of TF2.

Watching the Lobby. Chris Watters defending Turtle Rock's DLC. I don't often rag on games journalists - everyone has different opinions - but the way he gets his across makes him seem as if he's a complete marketing shill. Stating that it's the 'reality of game development', 'people don't understand' etc - such bs.

I'm a big fan of team-based shooters, though. Have played CS for the last 10 years and a lot of TF2.

Watching the Lobby. Chris Watters defending Turtle Rock's DLC. I don't often rag on games journalists - everyone has different opinions - but the way he gets his across makes him seem as if he's a complete marketing shill. Stating that it's the 'reality of game development', 'people don't understand' etc - such bs.

He seems like a dude totally down to just play the game, and eventually move on to a CM position, or something else within the game industry.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but many other people have criticized him in the past of being a little too much of a corporate shill/apologist. He seemed to fit in well when he filled in for Jeff for a UPF or two last year.

erawsd

I think hes wrong for all finger wagging. However, I do agree that this is the reality and if Evolve didnt have all that, then it probably wouldnt have been funded.

I think publishers have reached a dangerous level of risk aversion. In the past, they would milk the big money franchises and reinvest that money into new ones. For the most part, it seems like that model has collapsed. The only way the big publishers will fund a project is if they can cram in all the exploitive DLC and F2P bullshit too. The result is that there are hardly any new franchises, everyone is just doubling down on their most popular names with sequels, remakes, and remasters, Japan is quietly turning away and focusing on mobile. If thats where we are right now, I shudder to think what things look like 5 years from now.

Evolve like they took L4D's versus mode, tweaked it to be the COD multiplayer match game length and filled the game full of cosmetic DLC and called it a day

I can see the appeal if you have the friend group who gets into but unless you know 4 others who want to play at all times I just dont see the value because fuck randoms for those games.

After this Destiny and Titanfall I think $60 online only shooters are getting close to non f2p MMO's in terms of making me question why they exist in this form.

i mean

if they really are the last of us, they better get to it

God damn it.

I have been trying to come up with a "we really are the last of us" joke since someone posted those screens from it but you win. Good on you.

They need to put up another Evolve QL with the perspective of the hunters. It looks like it would be good fun! Watching them play.

Edit-nevermind, I'm actually watching

The guy has shown on many occasions that he is a corporate apologist.

Tucah

you speak so well
Evolve looks...fine. It's probably frustrating if you're playing with random people where there's a good chance that at least one person is not doing their job (though I guess that works in your benefit for the monster) and the DLC model seems shitty from what I've seen from briefly popping in threads about it but the core gameplay looks okay.

Myggen

You can't win with Youtube comments, from the Evolve QL:

It seems like everyone in this video was paid off, they're way too enthusiastic (like that eSports announcer in the older video of this game) about doing basic things (and using marketing-speak like "control the battlefield") they weren't impressed by in other games and 20 minutes in I don't think I've heard Jeff speak once. I'd like to imagine his mic is muted because of an involuntary endless sigh.

You heard it here first, GB is being too enthusiastic about shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom