• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

I dunno, Dan's enthusiasm in Evolved did come across as slightly forced to me. Likewise, Mary was stiff and sounded too much like PR, the same way she did when they had her on the couch playing Evolved a few months ago. And honestly, the game doesn't look all that great.

Mary did used to work in PR so I imagine it is hard to get out of that mode when playing a game on camera.

I dunno, Dan's enthusiasm in Evolved did come across as slightly forced to me. Likewise, Mary was stiff and sounded too much like PR, the same way she did when they had her on the couch playing Evolved a few months ago. And honestly, the game doesn't look all that great.

Mary just sounds like someone who has a ton of experience with Evolve and is guiding dan through the game. If she didn't know what she was doing and dan was just fumbling around during the match then people would be whining at how they don't get the game and they're doing Evolve a disservice. So which of the two is the better/more entertaining option?

And why would someone feign enthusiasm? what's would dan be getting out of pretending to like Evolve more than he actually does?

I dunno, if you don't want to like the game then to each their own but trying to suss out some justification from how they're playing it so that you can feel better about not caring for the game seems weird to me.

Evolve looks great, I wish it was out before all of my Left 4 Dead buddies had families and gave up gaming :(

Mary didn't come across as a PR person at all, it sounds like she really enjoys the game and has experience. She made the quick look interesting. I really don't see the problem, but this is the Internet I guess.

I just discovered the Dan Ryckert introduces dad to video games series...

Giant Bomb is so lucky to have the bestest awesome Dan Ryckert.

I also enjoy Jeff's salt during Mario Party and Dan's goofy smile in nearly everything he does... They have been my reasons to follow GB.

Could someone describe what Metal Gear Scanlon is?

Bacon

I also enjoy Jeff's salt during Mario Party and Dan's goofy smile in nearly everything he does... They have been my reasons to follow GB.

Someone who has never played the metal gear solid series before (Drew) sits down with someone who has a long history with the metal gear series (Dan). Drew plays through the metal gear games for the first time on camera. Dan helps out slightly without taking away from Drew's experience. They have gotten through metal gear solid 1 and 2 so far.

It's the best thing the site has done in a long time

tchocky

Drew playing MGS for the first time (badly) and Dan giving "advice".

I do like Mary but yeah, she completely sounded like a PR spokesperson in that Evolve QL.

Evolve is such a weirdly layered and complex game that it's hard to describe it without sounding like you're some sort of stiff dorky scientist person. Just try it yourself with a friend and see how it comes out. It's probably going to sound pretty similar to what she sounded like during that QL.

Perhaps it's her tone that some find to sound PR-ish but i found her being on the QL to be pretty informative and her tips were helpful to Dan, which made the whole thing more entertaining overall.

Xater

Evolve is such a weirdly layered and complex game that it's hard to describe it without sounding like you're some sort of stiff dorky scientist person. Just try it yourself with a friend and see how it comes out. It's probably going to sound pretty similar to what she sounded like during that QL.

Perhaps it's her tone that some find to sound PR-ish but i found her being on the QL to be pretty informative and her tips were helpful to Dan, which made the whole thing more entertaining overall.

Is it? I think the game is dead simple. I guess if you are used to COD this counts as "complex".

No, quite a bit of a difference there.

How so? I mean, he brings up negatives in regards to earlier CoD's (something that doesn't apply to Evolve considering it is the first game) but other than that he is hugely positive. Maybe it's just because Mary didn't seem to joke around like the usual giant bomb cast and has a different style of expressing herself, but she didn't even come close to sounding like a shill, just a passionate fan. I just don't see it, sorry.

Is it? I think the game is dead simple. I guess if you are used to COD this counts as "complex".

It's complex in the sense that there isn't a simple way to explain its mechanics and the layers to them. I'm not calling it the second coming of Dwarf Fortress, just that it's not so simple as to hand someone a controller and tell them LEFT TRIGGER RIGHT TRIGGER. A lot of what happens in Evolve is incredibly situational, and most decisions made can have either a positive or negative influence on the outcome of the match, such as whether to kill the wildlife in the arena or not.

You can be real reductive and say that the goal is to kill the monster or for the monster to kill everyone but there's a lot more to achieving those goals than to simply running towards the opposition and unloading.

I just don't see how you could be so passionate about something that people are so against within this industry, especially the DLC. She has come over from Gamespot for every piece of Evolve coverage on GiantBomb, and that just seems a bit odd.

You can be passionate about things and not be fully supportive of them. Just look at Brad's love for Destiny. Liking a game and liking their downloadable practices are not mutually exclusive things, you know. You can like one and dislike the other, i know i sure as hell did in regards to the Mass Effect 3 single player DLC stuff.

Liamc723

How so? I mean, he brings up negatives in regards to earlier CoD's (something that doesn't apply to Evolve considering it is the first game) but other than that he is hugely positive. Maybe it's just because Mary didn't seem to joke around like the usual giant bomb cast and has a different style of expressing herself, but she didn't even come close to sounding like a shill, just a passionate fan. I just don't see it, sorry.

I just don't see how you could be so passionate about something that people are so against within this industry, especially the DLC. She has come over from Gamespot for every piece of Evolve coverage on GiantBomb, and that just seems a bit odd.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Maybe because she's knowledgeable about it?

the quick look wasn't a roundtable about the DLC. the actual game has gotten good reviews.

and "every piece of Evolve coverage" has been two videos. they clearly thought she'd improve the coverage, something makes me doubt that Mary/some CBSi lawyer/an Evolve rep forced her in.

Xater

It's complex in the sense that there isn't a simple way to explain its mechanics and the layers to them. I'm not calling it the second coming of Dwarf Fortress, just that it's not so simple as to hand someone a controller and tell them LEFT TRIGGER RIGHT TRIGGER. A lot of what happens in Evolve is incredibly situational, and most decisions made can have either a positive or negative influence on the outcome of the match, such as whether to kill the wildlife in the arena or not.

You can be real reductive and say that the goal is to kill the monster or for the monster to kill everyone but there's a lot more to achieving those goals than to simply running towards the opposition and unloading.

I still don't think it's complex at all. People know how a healer works. The damage guy is super simple. Support is buffing. Trapper is only more "complex" because of his or her crucial role, but let's be honest the basic trapper is easy as hell. You shoot, follow your thing, lay down "mines" that slow the monster and you can create a bubble that keeps the monster from fleeing. Play your role and everything will be fine. Payday is more complex if you want to stealth levels than Evolve is ever.

Mary should be in more GB content. The more she's in the more she'll get used to it.

She's proven herself to be thoroughly entertaining on numerous occasions, but I totally get people's complaints about the Evolve video.

That said I thought she was fine on it, she is way more knowledgeable about it than any of the duders at GB by virtue of having done a bunch of previous events & played a ton of the alpha & beta. She definitely gave a lot more info about the game and it's mechanics than you'd usually see on a GB Quick Look, which I honestly find refreshing. Most Quick Looks aren't all that entertaining (read funny) for the most part unless it's an especially silly game or one easily made fun of, so in those cases I'd prefer they were somewhat informative.

I'm using this.

Dunno if it's available for other browsers.

That's rad, thanks for posting.

If you like Dan you should get premium he produces a ton of content MGS, Mario Party, old Demo discs, podcasts on wrestling, life advice and some with his dad.

So I'll be able to see more of this?

xMtjvq-J.png

and this:

2663970-jeff+mario+party.jpg

I don't see how people can be passionate about Avatar or the latest super hero film that in my opinion (and others) are continuing to drive Hollywood and whatever semblance of creativity left there into the ground, but I don't go around calling them shills. I just accept that opinions differ and I have enough respect for the giant bomb cast to accept their opinions (even if they differ from my own) and trust them enough to not invite somebody onto a quick look that is purely there to sell you something without being explicit about it, like the quick looks with developers.

We're all passionate about games, that shouldn't define you as a person or cloud your judgement of somebody.

I still don't think it's complex at all. People know how a healer works. The damage guy is super simple. Support is buffing. Trapper is only more "complex" because of his or her crucial role, but let's be honest the basic trapper is easy as hell. You shoot, follow your thing, lay down "mines" that slow the monster and you can create a bubble that keeps the monster from fleeing. Play your role and everything will be fine. Payday is more complex if you want to stealth levels than Evolve is ever.

Payday is about getting your gear, stealing some loot from inside a building, and getting out before the cops show up and kill you all.

you can play that game with anything if you want to. Dwarf Fortress is about building a keep and maintaining it against all sorts of opposition, be it natural or otherwise.

Evolve has some depth to it, you can't describe it or help someone through it without sounding like some sort of stiff nerd because there no way to say "hey, go back and check that fake rhino out. There's a perk you can now access from it that you'll find helpful in this match" without kinda sounding like a stiff dork about it. That's also an example of how different Evolve is from your typical first person shooter in that it has a lot of things going on and going for it that you're not going to find in your average online FPS game. I can hand my cousin a controller and ask him to play COD and regardless of what version of the game it is he'll do ok. I can't do the same with Evolve because he'll end up costing his team the match for quite a while until he wraps his head around it.

So yeah, this isn't Ratz Instagib where you kinda know what youre doing within 5 minutes and that's just about it. Whether you find this to be more or less complicated than your average gaming experience is pretty subjective. But you can't call it "dead simple" and be left wondering if you've dipped into the hyperbole pond or not because you're at least knee deep with that statement.

Fevaweva

Mary was great in the Quick Look. I didnt get any PR vibes especially at the end when she said that, in a roundabout way, that Evolve isn't great playing with randoms

KingKong

I think people are just confused by Mary because they're not used to someone actually being informed about a game in a quick look

Xater

Payday is about getting your gear, stealing some loot from inside a building, and getting out before the cops show up and kill you all.

you can play that game with anything if you want to. Dwarf Fortress is about building a keep and maintaining it against all sorts of opposition, be it natural or otherwise.

Evolve has some depth to it, you can't describe it or help someone through it without sounding like some sort of stiff nerd because there no way to say "hey, go back and check that fake rhino out. There's a perk you can now access from it that you'll find helpful in this match" without kinda sounding like a stiff dork about it. That's also an example of how different Evolve is from your typical first person shooter in that it has a lot of things going on and going for it that you're not going to find in your average online FPS game. I can hand my cousin a controller and ask him to play COD and regardless of what version of the game it is he'll do ok. I can't do the same with Evolve because he'll end up costing his team the match for quite a while until he wraps his head around it.

So yeah, this isn't Ratz Instagib where you kinda know what youre doing within 5 minutes and that's just about it. Whether you find this to be more or less complicated than your average gaming experience is pretty subjective. But you can't call it "dead simple" and not wonder if you've dipped into the hyperbole pond or not because you're at least knee deep with that statement.

To me it is dead simple. I played it for the first time at Gamescom. My team mopped the floor with the monster twice. As the monster I won every game. I had zero issues picking this game up. This game isn#t complex, it's just that most FPS games are really dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom