• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

oti

Banned
I was moreso referring to the Idiots part calling us at GBgaf idiots lol :p
I see. I like to think we here are a bit more easy going with stuff like this, compared to some really disgusting comments on the site. I remember how quickly I stopped engaging with the community on their site after becoming a premium member. GB GAF is my official GB site kinda, lol.
For sure. I mean...

1i6ggve.png
Chill, dudes. Chill. It's a video game. Dan is funny. People gonna die. It's war.

BTA

I've found myself falling down a black hole of visual novels. Which all seem to be contractually obligated to be at least 30 hours long.

It should be shorter than S;G was, at least!

(I also wouldn't call it a VN as much as a point and click adventure game at this point, but that's not exactly important.)

I've also been down that hole during the past few months though. Finally finished Amnesia -> Steins;Gate 0 -> Code Realize -> Collar x Malice right now. Then there's DR V3 and Chaos;Child on the horizon and a ton of other good stuff coming out right now besides.

First time tuning in live since... man, maybe even since last summer.

You've played the first two games right? If so, prepare
to be disappointed

Yep. 999 is a top 10 for me, thought VLR was a lot of fun but a step down overall (kind of a Back to the Future 1 vs 2 situation). I actually put ZTD down once already since I wasn't really into the structure but I'm trying to finish just to see what happens.

Meguro

Banned
I wish I enjoyed the act of playing PoE more than I do.
I've tried it three seperate times and I just can't go back after how good Diablo 3 feels.
I don't care if it's a worse designed game or whatever. It just feels so good.

daveo42

Banned
Yep. 999 is a top 10 for me, thought VLR was fun but a big step down (kind of a Back to the Future 1 vs BTTF 2 situation). I actually already put ZTD down once since I wasn't really into the structure but I'm trying to finish just to see what happens.

It's still good, but the weakest of the series and there were some real questionable choices in terms of plot. Interesting to see just to see how it wraps up.

J_Viper

I downloaded PoE on my new PC, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Is it closer to Diablo 3 or 2? Because if it's the latter, I'll just delete it now lol.

Nothing against D2 of course, but those classic RPGs are impenetrable to me.

I downloaded PoE on my new PC, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Is it closer to Diablo 3 or 2? Because if it's the latter, I'll just delete it now lol.

Nothing against D2 of course, but those classic RPGs are impenetrable to me.

I think you won't enjoy the game. It's D2 with more interesting core mechanics and an insane amount of customisation. It might be worth giving it a shot since it's already installed though.

The 3.0 release really changed progression in the game so you go through 10 acts instead of 5 acts 3 times on different difficulty levels. I tried to get into the game twice since release and never got to the end game. After playing 3.0 I've been hooked.

m29a

Neo Member
Eh PoE is fine and I had fun for maybe 15 hours but I'd still take Diablo 3 any day. I'm more casual, but the insane skill trees in PoE are so complicated, it's highly unnecessary. There is a middle ground there. The combat feels oddly flat and unsatisfying too.

I wish I enjoyed the act of playing PoE more than I do.
I've tried it three seperate times and I just can't go back after how good Diablo 3 feels.
I don't care if it's a worse designed game or whatever. It just feels so good.

Same. But also I think many people splooge over the idea of a skilltree as a "deep" system when really all it does is let you make many, many more wrong choices, while making the "right" choices more difficult to identify, practically impossible without a build guide in PoE's case.

Basically what I'm saying is Diablo 3 is a better game.

Zornack

Same. But also I think many people splooge over the idea of a skilltree as a "deep" system when really all it does is let you make many, many more wrong choices, while making the "right" choices more difficult to identify, practically impossible without a build guide in PoE's case.

Basically what I'm saying is Diablo 3 is a better game.

But there are many more viable builds in PoE than D3. You can fuck up your build easily but there are so many more options than D3's current get-your-6-piece-and-go formula.

Also PoE's early game is abysmal. It takes until the end of Act 2 to start feeling good and by 5 it's as good as Diablo.

J_Viper

I think you won't enjoy the game. It's D2 with more interesting core mechanics and an insane amount of customisation. It might be worth giving it a shot since it's already installed though.

The 3.0 release really changed progression in the game so you go through 10 acts instead of 5 acts 3 times on different difficulty levels. I tried to get into the game twice since release and never got to the end game. After playing 3.0 I've been hooked.

Yea it won't hurt to try the game out, but if it's more CRPG than ARPG I'll probably bounce right off like I did with Divinity.

I bought that game for my brother and I to play through thinking it was like Diablo 3 and holy fuck was I wrong

I think suggesting the skill tree in PoE only offers the illusion of being deep it's unfair. D3's an easier game where you just switch to the build for the current patch. PoE's passive tree means that there are hundreds of viable builds at any one point. The tree might be confusing but it's there for a reason and is rewarding to learn.

Yea it won't hurt to try the game out, but if it's more CRPG than ARPG I'll probably bounce right off like I did with Divinity.

I bought that game for my brother and I to play through thinking it was like Diablo 3 and holy fuck was I wrong

Oh, it's very much an ARPG it can just get rather complex. The core is still running through maps and slaying thousands of monsters.

I still need to give Diablo 3 another shot someday, I played for a few weeks around launch and just kind of stopped. I did pick up the expansion during that sale a couple months ago so I guess I have a ton of content waiting.

But there are many more viable builds in PoE than D3. You can fuck up your build easily but there are so many more options than D3's current get-your-6-piece--and-go formula.

Also PoE's early game is abysmal. It takes until the end of Act 2 to start feeling good and by 5 it's as good as Diablo.

I'm sure there are, I didn't say it had LESS depth. Just that a lot of that "depth" only serves to make it easier to make bad choices and it's nigh-impossible to figure out what the right choices are without outside guidance. Or at least it feels that way. Like there is no way to look at that thing and easily identify what you should do or even what you WANT to do. Maybe it's the type of player I am but I'd be terrified of doing anything in that system without looking up guides because the opportunity cost is just paralyzing, along with all the available choices, and it's not trivial to respec. I think that's a bad combination.

Whoever posted that the SNES Classic is in stock at Wal-Mart on chat is my hero. (It's OOS again at the moment.) (or not? link below in gooster's post)

Top Bottom