• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

HXMjfDy.jpg

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, if they're gonna watch a movie with oom in the title and it's not The Room, it's obviously gotta be:

MV5BMTgzNTEyNjAyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk0ODIzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

What about Dhoom, Dhoom 2, or Dhoom 3? All these movies are pronounced like "Thoom", because they are Bollywood movies - complete with actions scenes and musical numbers. I have personally seen Dhoom 2 and it is insane and wonderful.

Hey guys, I've been away since Monday at work/sequestering myself with a bad screenplay that won't amount to anything other than a fleeting sense of accomplishment.

What'd I miss?

EDIT:
Just finished that Robot Named Fight QL. Ugh.

EDIT EDIT:
I also gave Mario + Rabbids a shot over the weekend between bouts of Destiny 2. I'd just finished my first playthrough of XCOM 2 two weeks ago so maybe that might be why it didn't click, but damn, that did not click.

pizzacat

Banned
Mario and rabbids is pretty good. It makes me feel good and I'm feeling myself so hard I get on xcom save and either have a champion the last bell from rocky moment or everything shits on me

The xcom 2 expansion is still p good

Hasney

What games did you get/like in the first year of Wii U? Idk, I think the Switch is having one of the best first years in recent memory.

The first year of Wii U was literally this by the definition of not being available elsewhere, or ignoring dogshit like Funky Barn and Rabbids Land:

ZombiU
NSMBU
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Wonderful 101
Game & Wario

I've already got more games on my Switch even removing all the Neo Geo games.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The first year of Wii U was literally this by the definition of not being available elsewhere, or ignoring dogshit like Funky Barn and Rabbids Land:

ZombiU - Meh
NSMBU - Even meh-er
Pikmin 3 - Yawn
Wind Waker HD - Pretty good
Wonderful 101 - Never played it
Game & Wario - why

I've already got more games on my Switch even removing all the Neo Geo games.

Yeah, the WiiU had a great first year
Amazing

Hindl

Not that I want to play, or can't play on superior hardware.

First year of Wii U even was much better.
Bullshit. By the time December rolls around, the Switch will be 9 months old. 9 months from the Wii U's launch you had:

NSMBU
Zombi U
Game & Wario

Everything else you could play elsewhere or it's not worth mentioning

Edit: I'll include Nintendoland, but still

Lari

I liked New Super Mario Bros. U.

Also me and my cousin beat the rollercoaster nightmare stage in Sunshine in less tries than the SMS crew! I was the one that beat it even... he did beat all the stages without fludd so far, tho

Hasney

Yeah, the WiiU had a great first year
Amazing

I got enjoyment out of Game and Mario, especially that one where you basically play Mario Ware mini games without being caught by mom, but come on. We needed a real Wario Ware.

Apparently the DS and Wii ones underperformed, but they gotta bring it back for Switch. Hell, it has tilt and touch. Just make a megamix like Rhythm Heaven if even shitty Mario Party mini games get a collection.

Holy shit holy shit the final hour plus of Lost Legacy

Everybody, and I mean everybody, keeps saying this, and I felt like it was just a rehash of earlier Uncharted setpieces mixed together and it was... alright. But I didn't really feel wowed by it. idk, I'm just not that impressed by this stuff so much anymore. But also I wasn't really as invested in the story as I was in UC4 so that probably didn't help. TLL was fine but didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Here's a thing Mario + Rabbids is missing:
Constant intro videos when enemies show up. It's so great in Xcom. Can't wait to see another 12 "Hey, get ready for some Lost!" videos. Those never get old.

Sometimes there are super obvious problems in games that are completely baffling and I have no idea how nobody looked at them and said "Hey, maybe change them"

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Not familiar with these. Looks kind of similar to the Shah Rukh Khan reboots of Don?

I haven't seen those. I only found these by accident, and a group of friends and I watched them together in college while doing ... let's say RECREATIONAL substances. It helped cement my love of campy and terrible movies. I personally really like dumb movies like DOOM, but also even dumber ones like D-War and Army of Darkness.

Army of Darkness in particular is amazing in it's campy-badness. Everyone should watch it.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, keeps saying this, and I felt like it was just a rehash of earlier Uncharted setpieces mixed together and it was... alright. But I didn't really feel wowed by it. idk, I'm just not that impressed by this stuff so much anymore. But also I wasn't really as invested in the story as I was in UC4 so that probably didn't help. TLL was fine but didn't leave much of an impression on me.

In a lot of ways it is a mixture of past elements. And at times I though that too, specifically
oh you wanted to use getting dragged by a car by rope again
, but man it was really effective for me.

Mr. F

Banned
There's a few quality of life issues with Mario + Rabbids that can be improved:

1. Let me aim aoe attacks on the ground instead of targeting a specific enemy.

2. Let me roll back movement commands just in case of accidental misclicks.

3. Tell me the amount of turns for par before I start the battle.

4. Tell me how many battles in succession there are before I start any particular chapter.

5. Let me save loadouts of my skill build/weapon selection.

If they did those things, it would honestly be up there amongst the strategy game greats.

Also skipping the camera pan over the battlefield when retrying a battle

daveo42

Banned

You're absolutely right in that it is a rehash of older set pieces, but there's also refinement with some decent blending done to make
the jeep/train section more interesting, dynamic, and varied.
My only issue was spending too much time trying to stealth through the early section of the
train
instead of going in guns blazing. As well, ending with
the duo fist fight with Asav was infinitely better and satisfying than the sword fight at the end of 4. Got serious Civil War vibes too, which added to the spectacle.

Curufinwe

I just don't get Destiny. It's such a popular feeling to have, but I literally don't get what's enticing about replaying missions over and over again and interacting with dozens of loot/coin/upgrade systems.

I got enough Destiny by playing the Alpha three years ago. The level of obsession Brad and Dan have with the sequel it is a little unsettling.

Giant Bomb |OT33| They strapped a weird bondage mask to the Traveler

Hearing Jeff go off on the stupid shit in D2's story was cathartic as fuck. Good stuff.

oti

Banned
I got enough Destiny by playing the Alpha three years ago. The level of obsession Brad and Dan have with the sequel it is a little unsettling.

Playing with your wife every day sounds pretty sweet to me. It'll die down after a while and go up again with the first expansion.

Destiny 2 is really good about giving you new stuff to do and list items to check off. And yes, the shooting is good too.

Stoze

TLL was fine but didn't leave much of an impression on me.
Same, I just played it a few days ago. As bad as I thought the pacing was with 4, it had a ton of great memorable moments where as Lost Legacy on the other hand just feels really by the numbers and forgettable in comparison. Chloe would be the exception, she's great and it was nice getting more characterization out of her. I also like the globetrotting and environmental variety of 2, 3, and 4, LL feels kind of one note in that regard like the first one.

It is worth playing just for how unique it is. It's interesting but on the whole it is not a great game at all, especially when you already got the masterpiece that is Silent Hill 2.

It definitely has interesting aspects to it. Persistent Enemies that you can 'lock down' permanently until you retrieve the item that locked them down, random enemy spawn via ghosts, the sort of world hub, having to gather items and retread old areas.

It's not a great Silent Hill game, but despite that it's a great game with some unique aspects.

And yeah, Silent Hill 2 is a huge masterpiece. The story, the music, the setting, how everything comes together...man.

Top Bottom