• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

I have fallen asleep listening to podcasts for like... 5 or 6 years.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. But I'm bad at sleeping anyway.

I'm going to replace the entire soundtrack in Baby Driver with Giant Bombcast clips. Thanks for the idea TraBuch

May I suggest starting with the famous "Ryan describes stabbing" clip?

RelievedHarmoniousGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

How to clean your fleshlight in one easy step!

bigkrev

Surprised to see Vegas in the NHL QL.
I believe every single MLB the Show QL dating back to the launch of the site has Vinny playing the Mets, in Retro Shea Stadium, with Vinny being surprised to see Shea as an option.

The original Destiny became the biggest new console video game franchise launch in history, and Destiny 2 surpassed the original’s records for engagement and digital sales in launch week.

"With franchise pre-order records broken, and record day-one performance on PlayStation Store, it’s exciting to see engagement at the highest ever week-one concurrency for the franchise.

This is such a PR way of saying sales did not surpass the 1st entry but we got a bunch of people hooked.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This is such a PR way of saying sales did not surpass the 1st entry but we got a bunch of people hooked.

Yeah if destiny 2 outsold destiny they would have just said it outsold destiny lmao.

Oh god is this the end of our destiny tunnel? I won't have to hear about it for the next 10 years?

bigkrev

Destiny 1 launched on 4 platforms, Destiny 2 launched on 2 platforms, with an announced 3rd platform coming in a month that some percentage of the playerbase will wait for.

Yeah if destiny 2 outsold destiny they would have just said it outsold destiny lmao.

Oh god is this the end of our destiny tunnel? I won't have to hear about it for the next 10 years?

Nope it will still sell extremely well, especially during the holidays, and the people who love playing destiny LOVVEEE playing destiny so as long as those engagement numbers are up up up...we are gonna hear about it well into the next generation of consoles.

They didn't talk about any PC games though.

Some of my best friends are PC games

Zaph

Ugh Vinny. Could really do without another white guy going "it was a good apology". Abby is right there telling him the apology came very late, only after news spread, and that PDP's got an extensive history of this shit. Yet Vinny ends it with "good on him if the apology was sincere". Really? Good on him? No mention of his unfazed tweet after the stream? His prior racist videos? Or that he never says anything about his very large, very young fanbase egging him on and harassing his critics?

His dislike for psychoanalysing seems a bit precious when its about someone repeatedly using racist language and profiting from racist imagery. If someone tells you they're a racist, believe them?

I said the same thing about the bombcast, but if they're going to tackle these subjects, spend a few minutes googling to get the lay of the land first. Both conversations were stuck in a first gear loop of the "incident" and the apology, instead of just acknowledging what PDP is and what he represents, and how the #1 guy being a hatemonger might shape their shared/affiliated industries going forward.

Antiwhippy

Ugh Vinny. Could really do without another white guy going "it was a good apology". Abby is right there telling him the apology came very late, only after news spread, and that PDP's got an extensive history of this shit. Yet Vinny ends it with "good on him if the apology was sincere". Really? Good on him? No mention of his unfazed tweet after the stream? His prior racist videos? Or that he never says anything about his very large, very young fanbase egging him on and harassing his critics?

His dislike for psychoanalysing seems a bit precious when its about someone repeatedly using racist language and profiting from racist imagery. If someone tells you they're a racist, believe them?

I said the same thing about the bombcast, but if they're going to tackle these subjects, spend a few minutes googling to get the lay of the land first. Both conversations were stuck in a first gear loop of the "incident" and the apology, instead of just acknowledging what PDP is and what he represents, and how the #1 guy being a hatemonger might shape their shared/affiliated industries going forward.

Uh, pretty sure the bombcast was before he apologised.

Also they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt at all, especially ben.

edit: hmm, maybe not? I don't remember the bombcast talking about his apology but I might be getting my days confused.

patapuf

The Bombcast did aknowledge that PDP has a patttern. They did express hope that he betters himself in the future.

The apology video means shit due to the context of him chatting shit about what the reaction would be, mocking it, 5 minutes later on the stream with that annoying English guy, footage most people haven't seen, but if you're going to speak publicly about this on two of the biggest gaming podcasts, you need to have seen that footage.

TheChits

Yeah I just got to this part and it is supremely disappointing.

Antiwhippy

Like I'm pretty sure the bombcast did pretty much talk about not trusting him just due to him establishing a pattern of behaviour.

Also I kind of feel like it was only Vinny talking about the apology being good. Abby especially said that it's hard to take it at face value? I trust Alex to share similar views too.

That whole PDP bit on the Beastcast put a bad taste in my mouth too. Not sure it's Vinny's place to congratulate PDP on a "sincere apology" at all. I have no doubts where the GB crew stands on all this stuff, but if all they've got to offer is some tone deaf comments then it would probably would be better if they said nothing at all.

Zaph

Uh, pretty sure the bombcast was before he apologised.

Also they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt at all, especially ben.

edit: hmm, maybe not? I don't remember the bombcast talking about his apology but I might be getting my days confused.
I think you're missing the point of the PDP loop.

The Bombcast did aknowledge that PDP has a patttern. They did express hope that he betters himself in the future.

Again, same as the above - I think you're missing the point.

This has happened so many times, whether its PDP using the n-word, the deaths to jews video, Leslie Jones as a gorilla etc etc - google it, there's more out there - discussing whether or not the apology is sincere, or if he'll "change" is irrelevant. It makes the story about PDP's personal journey, which is ridiculous, rather than his existence in an industry they share.

Meguro

Banned
Yeah that bit was bad and I'm thinking of writing in an email to tell them just how disappointed I was at that.
Vinny should know better. He should.

Antiwhippy

I see your point, but that means that they do need to just outright condemn him if that's how the narrative is playing out. Which I wouldn't mind, but I feel like saying not to trust him due to his pattern of behaviour is a soft condemnation in a way? But you're right, maybe they need to take a harder stance.

Vinny thinking the apology is good is pretty weak though.

Rainmaker

Banned
The Bombcast talk didn't bother me but yeah the Beastcast segment was really off-putting in a way I wasn't expecting especially with Alex right there. I usually feel like I can trust Alex to appropriately go in on these sort of things. Abby was the only one who really called it out. Honestly, fuck a soft condemnation at this point. I very rarely feel letdown by the crew but that felt bad

I haven't listened yet but this is weird given that Vinny didn't mince words about pdp the last time he was in the news for being a bigot. Wonder what changed.

At the end Vinny says something like "go make your own decisions. You know where I stand" and that's about it.

I haven't listened yet but this is weird given that Vinny didn't mince words about pdp the last time he was in the news for being a bigot. Wonder what changed.

With GB being into old games, thought I would let people know that Amazon just put pre-orders up for the 8Bitdo SF30 Pro Controller for $50. It also works with the Switch... hopefully it's good and they make more of them than Nintendo made NES Classics.

Antiwhippy

I hear there's an impossible jump in the tutorial

The tutorial is pretty misleading.

I kinda just think Vinny is a little too sincere in a way. His problem before was that PDP's previous apologies were just half-apologies meant to save face, while this one was a "proper" apology, but at this point can you really believe that he's actually sincere?

Zaph

The apology video means shit due to the context of him chatting shit about what the reaction would be, mocking it, 5 minutes later on the stream with that annoying English guy, footage most people haven't seen, but if you're going to speak publicly about this on two of the biggest gaming podcasts, you need to have seen that footage.

Perfect, just perfect.

See, this is what happens when you allow the apology loop to be the narrative. It doesn't even take him a day to laugh at all the people wasting their time entertaining it.

With GB being into old games, thought I would let people know that Amazon just put pre-orders up for the 8Bitdo SF30 Pro Controller for $50. It also works with the Switch... hopefully it's good and they make more of them than Nintendo made NES Classics.
Has Nintendo given any indication where they stand on this stuff working with the Switch? Its been reversed engineers, not licensed, right? Don't really want to buy one if they're just going to break it with a firmware update.

BTA

Yeah, this is disappointing to hear.

Especially after Monday's Waypoint Radio had Austin going in on this in a way that was really satisfying to hear someone say.

patapuf

Again, same as the above - I think you're missing the point.

This has happened so many times, whether its PDP using the n-word, the deaths to jews video, Leslie Jones as a gorilla etc etc - google it, there's more out there - discussing whether or not the apology is sincere, or if he'll "change" is irrelevant. It makes the story about PDP's personal journey, which is ridiculous, rather than his existence in an industry they share.

I don't remember the exact discussion but i'm pretty certain the bombcast did call him out on all of this.

They stop short of saying "fuck that guy". But i don't think we'll hear them say stuff like that outright of someone that works in this industry. Companies yes, not individuals.

oti

Banned

Perfect for the Switch Virtual Conso.... ;_;

Has Nintendo given any indication where they stand on this stuff working with the Switch? Its been reversed engineers, not licensed, right? Don't really want to buy one if they're just going to break it with a firmware update.

That's a really good question... I can't find anything official, but I would imagine they would allow it since they've had 3rd party controllers on every console before this (and I don't think they broke any of them with firmware updates). I think most console manufacturers are cool with 3rd party controllers.

Top Bottom