• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Mr. Sam

I think both the Beastcast and the Bombcast are missing people like Patrick Klepek and Austin Walker with the necessary temperament and skillset to properly unpack situations like this.

I think both the Beastcast and the Bombcast are missing people like Patrick Klepek and Austin Walker with the necessary temperament and skillset to properly unpack situations like this.

Agreed

Not just because of this last thing, but I've been missing the more deep thought/philosophical mindset at GB for a while. Video games should be fun, but every once in a while it's good to hear deep thoughts/conversations on them.

Kaizer

Banned
Haven't listened to the Beastcast yet, but man, it's really disappointing to hear Vinny thought it was a "good" apology.

Zaph

During their discussion about PDP on Monday, Austin made the comment about people needing to "expand their listening outside of three white guys with microphones" and at the time I really hoped GB would have the self-awareness to avoid the pitfalls there. But here we are.

Phatmac

I think Vinny's just tired of talking about PDP. He should have left it at making your thoughts about him. They should've skipped the story since if they weren't going to really go into it. I think he feels the same way about PDP after the nazi news. At least I hope so.

BTA

I'm a little confused by the confusion over the Nintendo arcade games when they should in theory have press releases and such?

To be fair the announcement was a little unclear at first but then they had the Hamster logo and "Arcade Archives" is their brand.

hamchan

Yeah Uncharted Lost Legacy is rad. Pretty much the sweet spot for Uncharted length and pacing.

Will probably get overlooked by everyone come awards time but yeah what another great accomplishment by Naughty Dog.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah Uncharted Lost Legacy is rad. Pretty much the sweet spot for Uncharted length and pacing.

Will probably get overlooked by everyone come awards time but yeah what another great accomplishment by Naughty Dog.

Would it? They seem to like it a lot.

The most surprising thing I learnt though was that Uncharted 4 was a 20 hour game? Holy crap.

Ashby

I don't remember the exact discussion but i'm pretty certain the bombcast did call him out on all of this.

They stop short of saying "fuck that guy". But i don't think we'll hear them say stuff like that outright of someone that works in this industry. Companies yes, not individuals.

They went in hard on Palmer Luckey who is (was?) an actual industry figure that they knew personally.

i must be the only person who appreciates uncharted 4 for how long it is. just meandering and exhausting and epic in this real journeyman fashion.. befitting for the last 'nathan drake' story imo. i love that game.

During their discussion about PDP on Monday, Austin made the comment about people needing to "expand their listening outside of three white guys with microphones" and at the time I really hoped GB would have the self-awareness to avoid the pitfalls there. But here we are.

what pitfall was there to avoid? Should the duders not have talked about the situation?

BTA

(I wrote a longer version of this but I'm on my phone and my finger slipped and the page refreshed, so this might be a little more curt sounding than I intend.)

I don't disagree but I also do not feel comfortable equating the two of them at all. No offense to Patrick (especially as a white person myself) but at the end of the day he is a white dude ally
who's still friends with fucking Max Temkin
and beyond that does not really have the experience, skillset, or background that Austin has when it comes to discussing this. He functions well as another voice in the conversation with Austin (and Rob Zacny even more so I felt), but that's not the same thing.

I think Alex can handle these things just as well as Patrick could or better, in any case; I just think he just doesn't do it as often and/or isn't as comfortable with doing so.

Seventy70

I don't think Vinny deserves any shit. He was simply expressing his own point of view and I'm sure if you pointed it out to him, he would agree that his view doesn't matter much in this instance.

Note: I didn't listen to the podcast yet. Just going off of what people have described.

I don't think Vinny deserves any shit. He was simply expressing his own point of view and I'm sure if you pointed it out to him, he would agree that his view doesn't matter much in this instance.

Note: I didn't listen to the podcast yet. Just going off of what people have described.

I don't think anyone has been unfair or insinuated anything about his character - like I think we all know where the GB staff stand on this kind of thing. But if you're going to comment on something like this, it's fair to expect people to react to it.

Mr. Sam

(I wrote a longer version of this but I'm on my phone and my finger slipped and the page refreshed, so this might be a little more curt sounding than I intend.).

Oh, not at all - don't worry.

For what it's worth, I largely equated the two because they're two prominent alums of Giant Bomb and thus two people who likely would've been on top of this situation on their respective podcasts.

ArjanN

Ugh Vinny. Could really do without another white guy going "it was a good apology". Abby is right there telling him the apology came very late, only after news spread, and that PDP's got an extensive history of this shit. Yet Vinny ends it with "good on him if the apology was sincere". Really? Good on him? No mention of his unfazed tweet after the stream? His prior racist videos? Or that he never says anything about his very large, very young fanbase egging him on and harassing his critics?

His dislike for psychoanalysing seems a bit precious when its about someone repeatedly using racist language and profiting from racist imagery. If someone tells you they're a racist, believe them?

I said the same thing about the bombcast, but if they're going to tackle these subjects, spend a few minutes googling to get the lay of the land first. Both conversations were stuck in a first gear loop of the "incident" and the apology, instead of just acknowledging what PDP is and what he represents, and how the #1 guy being a hatemonger might shape their shared/affiliated industries going forward.

Honestly.having just listened to the Beastcast, I feel you misread the tone of the conversation pretty hard. That in no way came off as a defense of PDP to me at all.

BTA

Oh, not at all - don't worry.

For what it's worth, I largely equated the two because they're two prominent alums of Giant Bomb and thus two people who likely would've been on top of this situation on their respective podcasts.

I sorta thought as much, but felt like it was worth bringing up just in case.

But yeah, people really really should listen to Monday's episode of Waypoint Radio. It's a great discussion of this; the only thing I didn't like was how short their episodes are means they only briefly talked about South Park and didn't get to Life is Strange.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
(I wrote a longer version of this but I'm on my phone and my finger slipped and the page refreshed, so this might be a little more curt sounding than I intend.)

I don't disagree but I also do not feel comfortable equating the two of them at all. No offense to Patrick (especially as a white person myself) but at the end of the day he is a white dude ally
who's still friends with fucking Max Temkin
and beyond that does not really have the experience, skillset, or background that Austin has when it comes to discussing this. He functions well as another voice in the conversation with Austin (and Rob Zacny even more so I felt), but that's not the same thing.

I think Alex can handle these things just as well as Patrick could or better, in any case; I just think he just doesn't do it as often and/or isn't as comfortable with doing so.

To be fair I think Patrick did recently address just that, and that he always make sure to learn from the voices of the oppressed.

I don't think he's trying to act as if he's equally qualified to judge?

Honestly.having just listened to the Beastcast, I feel you misread the tone of the conversation pretty hard. That in no way came off as a defense of PDP to me at all.

That's because it wasn't. I think Vinny was just seeing the bigger picture of things, it wasn't just about that shithead. At the same time, I would be fine if they didn't even talk about him because he deserves absolutely no attention. I don't know how they would have been able able to talk about the DMCA thing without bringing him up though.

Anyone know if they are going to ql NBA2K18?

And if so...switch version? Seems like an Alex/Dan/Vinny type of thing.

XdK7hEV.jpg

Zaph

Where did I say they defended PDP?

Yeah, its great they didn't defend him, well done..? My disappointment was they (mostly Vinny) got completely wrapped up in the fuckup/apology cycle hatemongers like PDP perpetuate and benefit from.

That's because it wasn't. I think Vinny was just seeing the bigger picture of things, it wasn't just about that shithead. At the same time, I would be fine if they didn't even talk about him because he deserves absolutely no attention. I don't know how they would have been able able to talk about the DMCA thing without bringing him up though.
Nah. The problem with the angle Vinny took was nothing to do with him "seeing the bigger picture of things".

If Vinny had opened with "Look, we're sick of giving attention to hateful people who don't deserve the platform they have, so we're just going to discuss DMCA etc..." I think you'd have a point and the conversation would have been much better, but Vinny decided to pay attention to PDP's apology, and compliment it even with Abby telling him some reasons why its bullshit.

Quealy

Neo Member
IMO Vinny has no right to say it's a good apology because he's a white male and not part of the group of people who would be most affected by that word PDP used

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fuckin Vinny spending too much god damn time on Long Island

"come to your own conclusions"

"that shit happens"

really? my knee jerk reaction is to cancel my sub and get a refund

I am angry Vinny did not condemn someone the way I wanted him to condemn and therefore I am angry

srsly though, if Vinny thought it was a good apology, ok? That's his opinion. When people start going 'he should've responded like how I say they should have' it gets creepy, and you have to understand that he is not you. You also have to understand that this is the person you have been listening to on the beastcast for a long time and they won't change. Implanting your beliefs upon them is weird.

Nah. The problem with the angle Vinny took was nothing to do with him "seeing the bigger picture of things".

If Vinny had opened with "Look, we're sick of giving attention to hateful people who don't deserve the platform they have, so we're just going to discuss DMCA etc..." I think you'd have a point and the conversation would have been much better, but Vinny decided to pay attention to PDP's apology, and compliment it even with Abby telling him some reasons why its bullshit.

Well, you have a point and I agree. If it was me I would have done it like that because I wouldn't like to give that little shit attention but rather curb his ass to the side while also denouncing what he did without focusing on it because he strikes me as the type of person who's all talk and no action going by his past BS. He's probably happy inside that he's getting all this attention(and I hope I'm wrong about that). At the same time, that was just Vinny's opinion and he didn't say "That's how everyone should feel as well!".

Mr. F

Banned

"that shit happens"

Actual quote? If so, super lame. Vinny's preference for conflict aversion really shoots itself in the foot sometimes.

K.Sabot

I am angry Vinny did not condemn someone the way I wanted him to condemn and therefore I am angry

srsly though, if Vinny thought it was a good apology, ok? That's his opinion. When people start going 'he should've responded like how I say they should have' it gets creepy, and you have to understand that he is not you. You also have to understand that this is the person you have been listening to on the beastcast for a long time and they won't change. Implanting your beliefs upon them is weird.
When has the gb thread ever not been filled with creeps too obsessed with internet personalities tho? Pretty par for the course for here.

Seventy70

"that shit happens"

To be fair, as I've said, I don't think Vinny has ill intentions. With that said, sometimes I see some flashes of Long Island in him and I'm like...yeah he's definitely from Long Island.

IMO Vinny has no right to say it's a good apology because he's a white male and not part of the group of people who would be most affected by that word PDP used

This is correct. Honestly they shouldn't have talked about it at all if they're gonna cover it like it's a game trailer.

ev0

So in the end, this previously posted Youtube comment was correct. Just in the wrong way

Apex Brooklyn
9 hours ago
When the best party member becomes the worst party member.

It was a good run, Vinny.

I kid, I kid.
Havent listened to the Beastcast yet.... but it sounds ehhh...at least Abby was trying based on your guys' comments

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yes i believe others should share Alex & my aversion to calling someone a "fucking nigger" - it is an abhorrent thing to say and dont mince words about it ESPECIALLY in 2017

good to know who in this thread i can ignore

Actual quote? If so, super lame. Vinny's preference for conflict aversion really shoots itself in the foot sometimes.

he really said this???

he ends the segment by saying "get your shit together pew die pie but good on you for the apology if its sincere"

To be fair, as I've said, I don't think Vinny has ill intentions. With that said, sometimes I see some flashes of Long Island in him and I'm like...yeah he's definitely from Long Island.

i hear enough casual racism from 30something white men from long island around the city, i dont need to pay $50 a year to hear more on my Friday lunch breaks

BTA

It's not about implanting beliefs or something. It's just disappointing to hear the legit problems here ignored.

A dude with over 57 million subscribers said that slur and is gonna get away without any real repercussions because people (in general) seem to believe his latest apology is sincere for some reason. It's bad to let that continue, and the Beastcast has a pretty big platform through which they can say "hey, this isn't acceptable".

Top Bottom