• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Tagyhag

Great response Vinny. I don't think anyone here doubted your intentions, but it's nice to see you articulate your thoughts more.

It is times like that though, that show Austin is sorely missed.

Secret: the Bombcast has been good for a while.

image.php

It has always been. A good balance and contrast to BEAST as always.

- J - D -

GBgaf the only place where saying that I really like hte bombcast would make me feel slightly guilty of something.

Like, "Shhh, don't tell nobody, but I like Del Taco." Kinda like that.

Aselith

It is times like that though, that show Austin is sorely missed.

Waypoint Radio! For situations like this, that's the place to go since the tend to go deep on one subject in the shorter runtime. Even if Austin was on GBE still he wouldn't be able to have the long form discussion that he'd want to have so, in this case, I'm glad he had his own platform to just go off for an hour on it.

bjork

GBgaf the only place where saying that I really like hte bombcast would make me feel slightly guilty of something.

Like, "Shhh, don't tell nobody, but I like Del Taco." Kinda like that.

Fly that flag proud, best fries in fast food, period.

Also flatbread tacos rule

daveo42

Banned
Nobody likes Del Taco. They just stop there because of tradition and there's nothing else around there.

I'm sorry for both of you

Being from Cincinnati, I'm well aware of how terrible out sports teams are. I'm also aware of the level of faith some fans have for both the Bengals and the Reds. I do hope every season both do well, but I could also hope that beer rains from the sky. Doesn't mean it'll ever happen.

Hey look, the Bombcast is still better than 99.9% of other gaming and drink taste testing podcasts.

But it ain't a patch on what it used to be.

All I was saying brehs.

Hindl

Nobody likes Del Taco. They just stop there because of tradition and there's nothing else around there.

Being from Cincinnati, I'm well aware of how terrible out sports teams are. I'm also aware of the level of faith some fans have for both the Bengals and the Reds. I do hope every season both do well, but I could also hope that beer rains from the sky. Doesn't mean it'll ever happen.
Oh I know. I'm an Eagles fan, and while the team looks like it could have potential in a few years, deep down I know they'll never win anything

Nerokis

Was it? I think you could make a better defence of Ryans situation with the "place and time thing". The gay slur in question was a playground staple well into the 90s but I really don't think theres been a time since like the 70s where people didn't know how awful the racial slur is. White guys may have thrown it around amongst themselves more often but the n-word never had *any* other meaning than what it means. The gay slur took on a life of its own as a general insult for a good while before people realised they shouldn't be saying that shit.

I don't know about this.

Actually, earlier someone sent me a screenshot of an Instagram post. It was a picture of Mark Zuckerberg and a bundle of sticks, overlaid with the text "is a." This was a "what the fuck?" moment for me, and I explained to this person that the picture was weak as fuck, and not amusing to me whatsoever.

Even so, I can't deny that words like the above homophobic slur still have currency in our society, or more importantly, that this is partly because of their adaptability. The same is true of the n-word; it isn't fixed in time. The context in which people hear it and say it has changed in some ways, at least in the aggregate.

The thing is, when Ryan wrote his apology and didn't use the above as an excuse, he was 100% correct not to do so. Even when used without overtly malicious intent, those words (the n-word, especially) are still the tip of very, very heavy icebergs constituted largely of terrible history and damaging forces. The adaptability of those words is partly driven by somewhat less malicious things like ignorance, but also by the fact that those damaging forces are still very much alive, including to some degree in the people who use them. If you're one of those people, part of the context for you using those words is the reality of your privilege sheltering you from the need for self-reflection. (Or as Ta-Nehisi Coates put it, the reality of your privilege allowing you to live in a "world of myth" - in this case, one where using those words is okay.)

I guess my point is this: it is true the homophobic slur in question and the n-word aren't easily comparable, but it seems counterproductive and perhaps intellectually dishonest to say one changed enough to straight up switch meanings, while the other hasn't changed at all. If you overly emphasize that point, you'll be inadvertently fighting with something that looks a lot like objective reality, with all the signposts signaling how the world has changed. To me, the focus should just be on the fact that the "context" thing does not provide an avenue for excuses. Because the truth is that the context, much like the words, remains quite ugly; when you invoke context to feel alright for using those words, you're actually invoking your capacity to ignore it.

Aselith

This Fortnite PUBG clone is alright! Only big issue is that they have a queue instead of the instant load into the lobby. It's a pretty big misstep even if it ensures 100 players. They need to learn that less than 100 is fine like PU did.

Ashby

I don't know about this.

Actually, earlier someone sent me a screenshot of an Instagram post. It was a picture of Mark Zuckerberg and a bundle of sticks, overlaid with the text "is a." This was a "what the fuck?" moment for me, and I explained to this person that the picture was weak as fuck, and not amusing to me whatsoever.

Even so, I can't deny that words like the above homophobic slur still have currency in our society, or more importantly, that this is partly because of their adaptability. The same is true of the n-word; it isn't fixed in time. The context in which people hear it and say it has changed in some ways, at least in the aggregate.

The thing is, when Ryan wrote his apology and didn't use the above as an excuse, he was 100% correct not to do so. Even when used without overtly malicious intent, those words (the n-word, especially) are still the tip of very, very heavy icebergs constituted largely of terrible history and damaging forces. The adaptability of those words is partly driven by somewhat less malicious things like ignorance, but also by the fact that those damaging forces are still very much alive, including to some degree in the people who use them. If you're one of those people, part of the context for you using those words is the reality of your privilege sheltering you from the need for self-reflection. (Or as Ta-Nehisi Coates put it, the reality of your privilege allowing you to live in a "world of myth" - in this case, one where using those words is okay.)

I guess my point is this: it is true the homophobic slur in question and the n-word aren't easily comparable, but it seems counterproductive and perhaps intellectually dishonest to say one changed enough to straight up switch meanings, while the other hasn't changed at all. If you overly emphasize that point, you'll be inadvertently fighting with something that looks a lot like objective reality, with all the signposts signaling how the world has changed. To me, the focus should just be on the fact that the "context" thing does not provide an avenue for excuses. Because the truth is that the context, much like the words, remains quite ugly; when you invoke context to feel alright for using those words, you're actually invoking your capacity to ignore it.

Damn, you're really smart! And yes, absolutely agree with everything you've laid out here. Was really just getting at my own experiences of hearing friends use the one word in a myriad of contexts until people matured and realized it was an abhorrent term no matter the context whereas the other was never used as an insult unless it was someone using it as a pejorative against black people. Thinking about it, PDP himself proves there are unfortunately people out there who have and still do use the n-word as a catch-all insult.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I don't think I articulated this well in the podcast. If people didn't give up on Mr. Pie after he intentionally sought out to use anti-semitism as a vehicle for humor then I have nothing left to say to those people. As for the apology, again, I didn't articulate well. I was really just trying to contrast it to the non-apology he tried to give when called for "Death to Jews." I thought that would be the end of trying to give him cover, but people continue to be shocked and my patience for folks trying to give him context or excuses is done. The amount feedback I got after raking him over the coals for why we should have zero tolerance for that gave me a good perspective for how blindly folks will follow him and it frustrates me. Bigoted, ignorant guy says more bigoted ignorant stuff. I hate that he has such a big and eager audience. I want to shake them and scream WAKE UP. I was done with him after that. I don't think I expressed well my contempt, and I'm actually really sorry if I came off like defending him. I was more shocked this one got an actual apology when he just blew off that last bit as a zany gag. I felt it was way more premeditated and vicious, but again, I don't think I expressed that well and that makes me feel like crap.

Vinny,

Thank you so much for taking the time to personally respond. The very fact that you posted here speaks volumes, and your clarification on the stance is heartening.

I apologize for being so heated earlier, but I hope you understand where I come from. I know you may not be eager to speak too harshly on the podcast, or antagonize, but with the popularity of GB, you have earned a powerful platform that reaches a lot of young minds. And with that platform comes responsibility and I do believe it is your responsibility to come down hard on issues like this IF you choose to discuss them.

Thanks again for the clarification as well as all your continued hard work. Please don't feel like crap.

Regards,
Jon

I don't think I articulated this well in the podcast. If people didn't give up on Mr. Pie after he intentionally sought out to use anti-semitism as a vehicle for humor then I have nothing left to say to those people. As for the apology, again, I didn't articulate well. I was really just trying to contrast it to the non-apology he tried to give when called for "Death to Jews." I thought that would be the end of trying to give him cover, but people continue to be shocked and my patience for folks trying to give him context or excuses is done. The amount feedback I got after raking him over the coals for why we should have zero tolerance for that gave me a good perspective for how blindly folks will follow him and it frustrates me. Bigoted, ignorant guy says more bigoted ignorant stuff. I hate that he has such a big and eager audience. I want to shake them and scream WAKE UP. I was done with him after that. I don't think I expressed well my contempt, and I'm actually really sorry if I came off like defending him. I was more shocked this one got an actual apology when he just blew off that last bit as a zany gag. I felt it was way more premeditated and vicious, but again, I don't think I expressed that well and that makes me feel like crap.

Thanks for articulating your points Vinny.

This Fortnite PUBG clone is alright! Only big issue is that they have a queue instead of the instant load into the lobby. It's a pretty big misstep even if it ensures 100 players. They need to learn that less than 100 is fine like PU did.
The inventory systems needs work. A faster way to move around in the world. If they fix that up and clean it up it could be fantastic.

Cool of Vinny of expound on the PDP stuff here. I did actually find myself a bit disappointed with the conversation on the Beastcast but it was nice to get more perspective here. While I never disliked PDP initially (which is irrelevant really) I'm entirely fucking sick of him at this point.

BTA

Watched One Last Chance to Talkoma over lunch and really enjoyed it.

I'm sad that Brad opened that storage area but
didn't find the skull
though.

Nerokis

Damn, you're really smart! And yes, absolutely agree with everything you've laid out here. Was really just getting at my own experiences of hearing friends use the one word in a myriad of contexts until people matured and realized it was an abhorrent term no matter the context whereas the other was never used as an insult unless it was someone using it as a pejorative against black people. Thinking about it, PDP himself proves there are unfortunately people out there who have and still do use the n-word as a catch-all insult.

Oh, stop it. :p I know I still have a lot to learn on this subject. I was down to put some thoughts out there, in part, because there are a lot of people around who care about it and would be willing to call me out if I dropped the ball too hard.

And yeah, your experience and mine seem to have been pretty similar. I remember being around 13 years-old, and talking to a gay friend of mine on the phone. Even knowing he was gay, and not even being someone who used this word often, the f-word slipped out of my mouth during the conversation. He did me the favor of calling it out, and very gently telling me he wasn't a fan. I immediately felt bad, but instead of gracefully apologizing, I defaulted to the "oh, it doesn't mean that anymore" excuse. Beneath that clumsiness, though, I actually did learn a lifelong lesson.

BTA

I hope it's something fun.

Just playing recent games is ok and I'll watch because I can catch it live, but just playing something recent (ex: Prey) means I usually don't watch it later.

...actually there's probably a lot of Playdates I haven't watched, along with Blue Bombin'; I should look into that.

Wunder

I hope it's something fun.

Just playing recent games is ok and I'll watch because I can catch it live, but just playing something recent (ex: Prey) means I usually don't watch it later.

...actually there's probably a lot of Playdates I haven't watched, along with Blue Bombin'; I should look into that.

so much #content for you to watch

Top Bottom