• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume the event is going to have a good chunk of real info about the game as well. It has to. The idea that they would have a bunch of pomp and circumstance over just a date and a demo is the most lol worthy.

Please confirm Dual Audio, Square Enix.

I think Star Ocean is supposed to have Dual Audio so it would be neat if that was a sign of things to come.

not going to lie, the more the PS4K sounds like it's a full blown higher spec machine and not just a 4k blu ray player upgrade the more it bothers me.

I buy these machines for $400 with the knowledge that these machines will hold for 5-7 years. This N3DS levels of high end fuckery isn't cool at all on the console market.

I'm not really someone who gets angry easy at business shenanigans but if they pull this without some kind of reasonable upgrade path, I'd seriously consider never getting consoles again. I'm already like 80% pc anyway.

tumblr_mfb6p7JO1m1qgp6g4o3_250.gif

I just wanted to post this gif

I'm not really someone who gets angry easy at business shenanigans but if they pull this without some kind of reasonable upgrade path, I'd seriously consider never getting consoles again. I'm already like 80% pc anyway.

This is where I'm at. The Sony first party effort is really poor and most of my reason for owning a PS4 is exclusive Japanese third party stuff which is slowly moving to PC anyway.

repeater

Yeah. Unless there's some important part of the picture that we're currently missing, this will probably get me to jump ship to PC. I'd considered it before, but this would seal the deal.

Yeah. Unless some important part of the picture that we're currently missing, this will probably get me to jump ship to PC. I'd considered it before, but this would seal the deal.

$900 in 3 years for a console is duummbbbbb

I've spent $1400 on this pc in 4 years and it'll be good for another 3-4 without needing anything else.

$900 in 3 years for a console is duummbbbbb

I've spent $1400 on this pc in 4 years and it'll be good for another 3-4 without needing anything else.

the thing that really bugs me is if they're doing this upgrade as part of improving PSVR then i feel fucked as a PSVR early adopter who wants to use it without an issue on the current PS4.

So this whole thing seems like a mess.

at least with MS, i have a PC, they're apparently going to throw a lot of their stuff there, I don't feel bad if they want to do updates to the XB1 so long as they keep this PC trend going.

yami4ct

I play most of my stuff on PC. As long as I can keep playing exclusives on my current PS4 with little issue, I don't care about this dumb PS4K.

I just don't understand who these upgraded consoles are for. You are just going to alienate current owners. Who doesn't own a console right now, that would buy one if only it were more powerful? Who's willing to drop another $500 so soon after the last ones launched? I just don't get the benefit.

I play most of my stuff on PC. As long as I can keep playing exclusives on my current PS4 with little issue, I don't care about this dumb PS4K.

I just don't understand who these upgraded consoles are for. You are just going to alienate current owners. Who doesn't own a console right now, that would buy one if only it were more powerful? Who's willing to drop another $500 so soon after the last ones launched? I just don't get the benefit.

"we made a half step this gen and charged you full price. Sorry.

Here, this is the full step. we're only asking for full price."

I don't get it either. I understand why Microsoft is doing it because Xbox is super fucked, they want to push an OS, etc, but not Sony.

I don't get it either. I understand why Microsoft is doing it because Xbox is super fucked, they want to push an OS, etc, but not Sony.

Ms also has the extra incentive of pushing the Win10 store and PCs as a whole so it makes sense that they would lean into PC gaming in the case that the XB1 isn't hitting as hard as they needed it to.

This shit coming from Sony seems like a way to push more 4K tvs and 4K blu rays out the door and also make some PS4 folks double dip in the process. The whole thing stinks in a much more anti-consumer way than the MS stuff does.

jaina

To me it's just like your first paragraph.

Sony lost the chance to color all this in a positive light, with a surprise announcement. Nice to have the .5 consoles as third pillar hardware topic along with VR and NX.

yami4ct

"we made a half step this gen and charged you full price. Sorry.

Here, this is the full step. we're only asking for full price."

If the whole thing is devs wanting more power, than two bad. Find a way to squeeze more out of the current stuff. You might not be able to continually push graphics, but if you make good games they'll still sell. We shouldn't be talking about new machines.

If this is to future proof for VR, then it's even dumber. VR is not going to become a mainstream thing worth worrying about for a long time. Certainly not in the PS4's lifespan.

You released an underpowered console Sony. That happened. Live with it for another 2 years at least before we talk.

Also, the people who think they'll be playing Uncharted 4 in 4k on these boxes are hilarious. Even at the proposed specs, there's no way in hell this thing will run 3D games at anywhere near native 4k. 2D games could happen, but the mainstream aren't really going to care that much about those.

To me it's just like your first paragraph.

Sony lost the chance to color all this in a positive light, with a surprise announcement. Nice to have the .5 consoles as third pillar hardware topic along with VR and NX.

Third Pillars are bullshit ideas that never end up working. No one is buying a N3DS for the 2 games that use it. There isn't a market for upgraded machines mid cycle, at least not a significant one. All you are doing is splitting your install base.

Myggen

Yeah, I felt the same as Brad did when this began to be rumoured. When it was MS I understood it and kinda accepted it as them being the underdog in this race now, and trying to unify PC and Xbox more etc. But when Sony actually seems to be doing it, this is by far the biggest change to the console business... ever, and it makes me kinda scared. Especially given Sony's position in the market, I do not really get it. But maybe this is just them seeing that MS is gonna do it, and not wanting to be left in the dust and reacting to that.

Anyways, as Jeff said on the Bombcast this is all gonna make for a reeeeeeeeeally interesting E3. Reminds me that I need to take out some vacation time around E3 so I can post dance gifs in the GAF thread at around 5am my time.

kingocfs

not going to lie, the more the PS4K sounds like it's a full blown higher spec machine and not just a 4k blu ray player upgrade the more it bothers me.

I buy these machines for $400 with the knowledge that these machines will hold for 5-7 years. This N3DS levels of high end fuckery isn't cool at all on the console market.

Meh, the console market needs a shot in the balls. 5-7 years is a goddamn eternity in the tech world.

If this thing comes out next Spring, a 3.5 year cycle at $4-500 a pop is really not that bad to stay within stone's throw of the cutting edge. Especially if they provide an upgrade path.

Yeah, it's a logical move when you're chasing the leader...but when you're the frontrunner? I'm obviously a business layman, but it seems like the clear best move for Sony would have been to come out with something like "Here at Sony, we don't believe in half measures!" and target the XB1.5 as a half-assed stopgap between generations that won't compare to waiting for a new Playstation.

Baroni9

I don't know if this has already been talked about, but does anyone have the file for the full 12/21/10 retro stream? It was the first one they ever did where they had to point the camera at the TV. SME seems to have blocked youtube versions of it. That was one of my favorite videos.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Meh, the console market needs a shot in the balls. 5-7 years is a goddamn eternity in the tech world.

If this thing comes out next Spring, a 3.5 year cycle at $4-500 a pop is really not that bad to stay within stone's throw of the cutting edge. Especially if they provide an upgrade path.

Yeah but do they need to keep cutting edge?

If a hardware base becomes split, if the market becomes fractured then that hurts developers who are then hindered in the creative process.

A solid, successful and reliable platform is what leads to the best stable of games. It is no coincidence that the DS, PS1 and PS2 have the best libraries. A wider customer base means even smaller games can find their niche instead of being reliant on a few key sellers.

Myggen

I don't know if this has already been talked about, but does anyone have the file for the full 12/21/10 retro stream? It was the first one they ever did where they had to point the camera at the TV. SME seems to have blocked youtube versions of it. That was one of my favorite videos.

If there isnt a video of it on the GB Unarchived channel, there's probably not a video of it anywhere sadly. Was this back in the days before they started using Twitch?

Haha, good shit. Your work?

yami4ct

Eh, if games are targeted to come out on both anyway I don't mind.

Down ports are almost all universally garbage. If the PS4k takes off at all, devs will target that and current PS4 owners will get absolute dogshit performance wise. If it doesn't take off, no one will make any real use of it. I don't see a way this works out well.

kAmui-

If there isnt a video of it on the GB Unarchived channel, there's probably not a video of it anywhere sadly. Was this back in the days before they started using Twitch?

Haha, good shit. Your work?

It's on the GB Unarchived channel. What he seems to be saying is that it has been blocked.

Eh, if games are targeted to come out on both anyway I don't mind.

According to op in that thread, sacrifices will need to be made to performance with games that are meant to run on both.

No_Style

Out of all the outrages happening on this forum, the PS4K is my favorite. I just love the overreaction to rumor and speculation. People aren't even rationalizing out beyond their own nose. The immediate reaction is like:

"Nope! They're screwing me over. Just look at N3DS and Hyrule Warriors Legends. It's going to be like immediately and we'll get shitty versions of games now. Everything is changing and I hate it and I want a repeat of last generation."

I just asked a buddy who just bought a PS4 for Christmas and surprisingly, his reaction was fine. As long as he's taken care of, he'll be fine with it. We've never crossed this road before and I'm with him, I'm welcoming this possibility with optimism and not pessimism.

The upgrade just doesn't feel super warranted to me. There is no denying that these consoles are weak compared to PC but it doesn't even feel like developers are hitting the limit on what these consoles are capable of.

Games like Uncharted 4 or Ratchet and Clank show that the PS4 has the potential to put out some really impressive visuals, so unless those games also run like trash I'm struggling to see why the PS4 is being cut short now.

I'm with you on this. Let's win this time, Pliskin!

Too early, not gonna happen :(

We'll just have to bide our time.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
PS4k/XB1.5 also contribute further to two of the big problems of this era; buggy games and higher development costs because they will have to develop and optimise for multiple platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom