• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingocfs

Yeah but do they need to keep cutting edge?

If a hardware base becomes split, if the market becomes fractured then that hurts developers who are then hindered in the creative process.

A solid, successful and reliable platform is what leads to the best stable of games. It is no coincidence that the DS, PS1 and PS2 have the best libraries. A wider customer base means even smaller games can find their niche instead of being reliant on a few key sellers.

There is no fracture if the games will work on both platforms though. It may not look/run as well, but you could still play it. And if you want the games to look better than they do, there is now an option for you a lot sooner than usual.

I would think devs and publishers are aware of the negatives of a split userbase, so I'm not particularly worried that they will suddenly neglect one for the other. Over time, maybe, but by then it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Down ports are almost all universally garbage. If the PS4k takes off at all, devs will target that and current PS4 owners will get absolute dogshit performance wise. If it doesn't take off, no one will make any real use of it. I don't see a way this works out well.

They are universally garbage because you're comparing different scopes. The level of upgrade between the regular and 4k is not a leap of a generation and is most likely still in the same architecture.

These things are mostly PCs anyway, and they are used to making different quality versions. Or the more likely scenario: devs won't design specifically for it and just let the higher specs naturally lead to better performance, but not by that much compared to the regular ps4.

They are universally garbage because you're comparing different scopes. The level of upgrade between the regular and 4k is not a leap of a generation and is most likely still in the same architecture.

These things are mostly PCs anyway, and they are used to making different quality versions. Or the more likely scenario: devs won't design specifically for it and just let the higher specs naturally lead to better performance, but not by that much compared to the regular ps4.

I'm with Yami on this, if they target the PS4.5 then the PS4 is going to get the real shitty end of the deal, especially if the power bump is as big as it's stated to be. They're already supposedly stating that the launch games will have significant differences. This push has to be on the developer end and if that's the case I can't imagine it just being ignored, unless it's a horrific failure.

yami4ct

There is no fracture if the games will work on both platforms though. It may not look/run as well, but you could still play it. And if you want the games to look better than they do, there is now an option for you a lot sooner than usual.

I would think devs and publishers are aware of the negatives of a split userbase, so I'm not particularly worried that they will suddenly neglect one for the other. Over time, maybe, but by then it wouldn't be much of an issue.

If you want better performance, there is already an option for you. Buy a PC.

The problem is, devs have not shown great capability at targeting multiple platforms with a significant difference in performance power. Cross gen ports, for instance, are almost universally trash. These consoles are already struggling when shit is supposedly being optimized for them. Splitting off a more high power version is only going to make stuff worse.

Like I said, I've got a decent PC, so I'm good. I can easily see why console-only owners are upset about this, though.

personally, if i knew that there was a possibility of a PS4K or NPS4 I would've held off until it came out. I buy consoles with the confidence that when Naughty Dog makes a game 5-6 years from now on it, it's going to max out my hardware and I will get the same experience as everyone else on the platform

It's the reason I held off on buying a 3DS until the N3DSXL hit: after seeing nintendo iterate on their portable machines for several generations, i knew better.

If i had known this was the path of the PS4, i would've held back as well.

At some point you'll need to come to terms with the fact that $400 technology does not last half a decade. Especially when that $400 hardware isn't being subsidized. People upgrade $2-300 subsidized phones every two years.

i use my phone for everything on a daily basis though. It's not a luxury item.

It's how i talk to my wife, my gps, my camera, my podcast device, my music device, it's how i order an uber, etc.

A ps4 is a luxury compared to that, and it's a luxury i only want to pay once every half decade or so for

not going to lie, the more the PS4K sounds like it's a full blown higher spec machine and not just a 4k blu ray player upgrade the more it bothers me.

I buy these machines for $400 with the knowledge that these machines will hold for 5-7 years. This N3DS levels of high end fuckery isn't cool at all on the console market.

At some point you'll need to come to terms with the fact that $400 technology does not last half a decade. Especially when that $400 hardware isn't being subsidized. People upgrade $2-300 subsidized phones every two years.

Antiwhippy

Shitty end of the deal due to the games running like shit on it, or shitty end of the deal because it'll look like a regular ps4 game while the ps4k have will look better?

Like, if the ps4 run games on medium now, I just expect the 4k to run them on high.

This us why I'm rarely an early adopter though.

yami4ct

Phones are an every day, multi use communication tool. It's a far different thing from a box specifically made to play video games and people are willing to spend more on it because of that.

The subsidization model is pretty much dead anyway on phones.

jaina

personally, if i knew that there was a possibility of a PS4K or NPS4 I would've held off until it came out. I buy consoles with the confidence that when Naughty Dog makes a game 5-6 years from now on it, it's going to max out my hardware and I will get the same experience as everyone else on the platform
Yeah, I might wait with the PS console exclusives until the next "real" (or fully backwards compatible) generation has begun. It's what I've been doing before 2015 anyways.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yup, it's the better to wait and just get more details.

Good point. We're all better off for waiting for Microsoft's full plan for digital game sharing instead of coming out as being against an always online console.

Fuck. Wait, where'd that full plan go again? I could have sworn it was a real thing that existed and not bullshit to deflect a negative reception...

People can respond all they want. If what's being reported on sounds like a shitty idea, then they can talk about how shitty it is. Otherwise every rumor post is "Rumor: Here's a rumor" with zero responses because everybody needs to wait.

yami4ct

Shitty end of the deal due to the games running like shit on it, or shitty end of the deal because it'll look like a regular ps4 game while the ps4k have will look better?

Like, if the ps4 run games on medium now, I just expect the 4k to run them on high.

Do you really think PS4 games are going to get a full optimization pass if the PS4K sells even remotely well? I highly doubt it. Doubly so if the spec jump is even close to as large as stated.

The dumbest thing about this PS4K stuff is that Sony is still letting it spin wildly out of control. It's going to be absurd if they don't say anything in the next week or so.

I would expect lesser performance, especially as time goes on and the 4K games start to make the most out of that system. It's obviously also dependent on how easy it is to port something down to the PS4.

Antiwhippy

Do you really think PS4 games are going to get a full optimization pass if the PS4K sells even remotely well? I highly doubt it. Doubly so if the spec jump is even close to as large as stated.

Like I said, they're basically making PC games now. Most PC games have multiple quality versions. In fact, a lot of ps4 games are basically the pc version's medium.

This is the one advantage i see of Sony allowing devs to port to PC without any exclusivity deals against it. They're used to it already.

Like, I could be wrong on this, but I really don't see how the downporting from different generations comparison works. This is like going from a 960 to 970, not a ps3 to ps4.

yami4ct

Like I said, they're basically making PC games now. Most PC games have multiple quality versions. In fact, a lot of ps4 games are basically the pc version's medium.

Like, I could be wrong on this, but I really don't see how the downporting from different generations comparison works. This is like going from a 960 to 970, not a ps3 to ps4.

The fact that there are still games that run like garbage on current consoles I think proves that optimization is still required. If devs have to split that optimization work between 2 separate specs of console, there's going to be a performance hit somewhere.

Antiwhippy

The fact that there are still games that run like garbage on current consoles I think proves that optimization is still required. If devs have to split that optimization work between 2 separate specs of console, there's going to be a performance hit somewhere.

I mean we're in full blown skeleton at this point, but it could mean that devs don't have to push the existing ps4 as hard now that there is a better performing version, and allow for a better graphics/performance compromise because they can push it on the higher end one.

Or just do things like they've always done and the ps4 version will perform the same and the 4k version will naturally run it better but not by much, which to me it's the more likely scenario.

Robaperas

People can respond all they want. If what's being reported on sounds like a shitty idea, then they can talk about how shitty it is. Otherwise every rumor post is "Rumor: Here's a rumor" with zero responses because everybody needs to wait.

Sure, commenting on rumors is fun, but it seems pointless to me.

Yeah I'm with yami4ct here. Big devs have proven they can't pull off ports on the current PS4/XBO when there's only one revision to target. When there's multiple revisions? I really think it's gonna turn into a shitshow on the older hardware.

Honestly this makes me wonder if we'll eventually just see graphics options on console games. I'd rather have the option to bump down resolution or AA or something than be stuck with shitty framerate because the PS4.0 port is bad.

Curufinwe

The dumbest thing about this PS4K stuff is that Sony is still letting it spin wildly out of control. It's going to be absurd if they don't say anything in the next week or so.

Videogame forum uproar is not going to force them to rush anything. They are in complete control of the console market.

yami4ct

I mean we're in full blown skeleton at this point, but it could mean that devs don't have to push the existing ps4 as hard now that there is a better performing version, and allow for a better graphics/performance compromise because they can push it on the higher end one.

Or just do things like they've always done and the ps4 version will perform the same and the 4k version will naturally run it better but not by much, which to me it's the more likely scenario.

I think I'll just say that consoles aren't just 'push a button in your compiler and it will work better' just because they use similar PC architecture. For instance, take a look at how Unity games run on a console compared to a similarly speced PC. Most Unity games can run on a toaster, but on consoles suffer major performance hits. There is still work that needs to be done to tailor a game to the platform. Adding another spec will create more work for devs, there's no two ways about it. Either already ballooning development costs go up once again or something doesn't get the attention it needs.

TraBuch

Banned
If this is true, it just reinforces my plan to sell my PS4 and get caught up on my massive PS3 backlog. Then when I get caught up, I'll pick up this thing and get caught up on my PS4 backlog.

Playing and really enjoying Kingdoms of Amalur right now.

Antiwhippy

I'm not exactly saying that it'll be hundred percent easy for devs either, I'm saying that it's not really as big of a leap as people seem to be making it or to be.

Unity's problem is that it is trying to be the "push button to compile to everything" solution. However, between the ps4 and 4k you're talking about developing in mostly the same framework, probably with the same apis. Like it could pan out the way you're talking about but the comparisons you're making doesn't seem to apply here.

Patryn

Can someone stop the console ride?

I think I want to get off.

I'll wait and see, but if the leak is accurate (especially the talk about "significant sacrifices") then I'd rather take that $500 and put it towards a PC. Lord knows I was already getting beaten over the head about how the PC is the clear best choice this generation.

I mean, off the top of my head Bloodborne stands as the only significant console exclusive this generation thus far. And we're at Year 3, which is just mind blowing.

I'll buy one of those new fangled PS4K2day thingies at launch. Fight me.

I will as well but not because I want to. It's because I love my hobby and I gotta get the new shit to stay current and enjoy the best of the best when it comes to what it has to offer, strictly speaking about consoles though and not PC's.

It sucks ass though, I don't want to buy a new console every 2-3 years. Hell, it takes games this long and more to be made and released lol, what a clusterfuck. That's why I'm the kind of guy that buys a phone and uses it till it can't be used anymore. For PC's I usually build one to last me 4 - 5 years.

KingKong

I'll wait and see, but if the leak is accurate (especially the talk about "significant sacrifices") then I'd rather take that $500 and put it towards a PC. Lord knows I was already getting beaten over the head about how the PC is the clear best choice this generation.

I mean, off the top of my head Bloodborne stands as the only significant console exclusive this generation thus far. And we're at Year 3, which is just mind blowing.

There are plenty of great Wii U exclusives

yami4ct

In happier news, the cars for the Driverless Formula E support race were unveiled.

9R7EVpv.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11325592/roborace-driverless-racing-first-photos-custom-cars

These are the best stupid!

I'm not exactly saying that it'll be hundred percent easy for devs either, I'm saying that it's not really as big of a leap as people seem to be making it or to be.

Unity's problem is that it is trying to be the "push button to compile to everything" solution. However, between the ps4 and 4k you're talking about developing in mostly the same framework, probably with the same apis. Like it could pan out the way you're talking about but the comparisons you're making doesn't seem to apply here.

I think more what I mean to say is that multiple platforms is extra work and devs don't have a great track record. Consoles still need an optimization pass. There are games that run better on a PC than a similarly speced console and vice versa. You have awful shit like the Batman PC port. Large developers will often take the cheap way out and I think it's fair for console owners to be concerned about that. When 2 years down the line, a PS4K game is pushing graphics as far as they can go on the box and hitting 30 FPS while the poorly optimized PS4 edition is struggling to average 20, that's a problem.

Antiwhippy

The PC isn't going to get me persona 5 though. Like I've put in an equivalent investment on my PC recently and what's my most played have since then? Stardew valley. Dragon's dogma also but I can run that with my old setup.

To me it's less about graphical prowess now and more about the software library.

on the PS4?

I mean Infamous was alright.

but yeah, the system has basically been cruising on launching cheaper and being technically better than the XB1 while providing all the multiplatform games one typically wants.

Wait, i forgot about Until Dawn. so Bloodborne, until dawn, and infamous maybe.

yeah, it's crappy that they haven't even launched a Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, or even a Gran Turismo game and they're already rumors about upgrades. And we're all waiting for TLG, too.

I wonder if the PS4K is the reason that they haven't announced PSVR for No Man's Sky yet because it would require beefier hardware for it.

yami4ct

The PC isn't going to get me persona 5 though. Like I've put in an equivalent investment on my PC recently and what's my most played have since then? Stardew valley. Dragon's dogma also but I can run that with my old setup.

To me it's less about graphical prowess now and more due to the software library.

No, I agree with you. It's why I own a Wii U, have a great PC and bought the PS4 and likely won't get a PS4K. I have the PC for the vast majority of graphically powerful games, but I own other platforms for the software. There's a reason the 3DS and Vita are probably my favorite platforms right now. There's a reason I'll buy the NX at launch.

Most people aren't dumb enough/can't afford to be like me, though. They are the primary market for consoles and half generations are really bad for them.

kingocfs

If you want better performance, there is already an option for you. Buy a PC.

The problem is, devs have not shown great capability at targeting multiple platforms with a significant difference in performance power. Cross gen ports, for instance, are almost universally trash. These consoles are already struggling when shit is supposedly being optimized for them. Splitting off a more high power version is only going to make stuff worse.

Like I said, I've got a decent PC, so I'm good. I can easily see why console-only owners are upset about this, though.

PCs will never, ever have that elusive plug-and-play appeal, though. Plus, exclusives.

Look I agree with you about the unknowns with optimization between two consoles a half step apart, but I just don't think Sony or the devs or the publishers are ignorant enough to alienate so many people so quickly. And sure, if I bought a PS4 last week I'm pretty fucking bummed. Perhaps even if I bought one last year. But that's the nature of pretty much all tech, shit moves fast and people will be left behind.

To me it's less about graphical prowess now and more about the software library.

At this point I would be surprised if Atlus didn't start working on PC sometime this generation.

Antiwhippy

That's the thing also, people assume that devs will target the 4k by default, but going by past experiences they won't, at least not for the first few years.

Patryn

There are plenty of great Wii U exclusives

Nintendo exists in its own world, given how they seem to occupy a section of the market where they create consoles solely to feature their own games. Honestly, they seem to be the only console maker who is still completely justifying 100 percent why you should own their console.

on the PS4?

I mean Infamous was alright.

but yeah, the system has basically been cruising on launching cheaper and being technically better than the XB1 while providing all the multiplatform games one typically wants.

Wait, i forgot about Until Dawn. so Bloodborne, until dawn, and infamous maybe.

yeah, it's crappy that they haven't even launched a Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, or even a Gran Turismo game and they're already rumors about upgrades. And we're all waiting for TLG, too.

I wonder if the PS4K is the reason that they haven't announced PSVR for No Man's Sky yet because it would require beefier hardware for it.

Actually I was thinking of both.

I own Infamous, and I beat it, but I wouldn't really call it a super compelling reason to own a PS4. It's kind of forgettable, similar to Knack.

Is Sunset Overdrive on the PC? That might be the only XONE exclusive that is worthwhile.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Halo 5 isn't on the PC yet. So that's another one.

Paging Brad Shoemaker. It's basically the exact counter to his and Dan's defense of Clash Royale, citing "fun."

I'd love to tear down Clash Royale myself, but unfortunately I've never played it (and doubt my phone could even display the menu without exploding).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom