• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone's first reaction to everything shouldn't be unbridled snark.

a call of duty casket, taken at face value, is such a weirdly backwoods american thing that snark is an appropriate response.

Of course, when viewed within the context of the whole story it takes on a different meaning. but that doesn't make the face value impression any less warranted because, in the end, it was still a COD casket.

sitting here snark shaming isn't helpful, the odds that he was fully aware of the context behind that casket when making that comment are likely slim because, as we can all agree, if he knew the whole story about it then it would be something done in poor taste

Maybe someone's first reaction to everything shouldn't be unbridled snark.

Snark has nothing to do with it. You can look at something and have a base reaction without having to dig into the details to first see if you are warranted in your feelings. Just because you later find out it's a different story doesn't mean you were required to first look for that and it doesn't make that original thought suddenly bad.

This is a site where the phrase "Video games are dumb" is pretty damn normal. Seeing a dumb thing on a coffin is allowed to look dumb on first impression.

I only get annoyed at this type of shit when it comes to Giant Bomb because we come to this site most of all for these guys' reactions. We watched for over 10 hours yesterday for them playing VR games. It seems absolutely stupid to come to this thread and give shit for their natural reactions to shit because someone is working with more information at a different time. People just seem to go out of their way to feel bad about shit, and I'm fine if people want to do that but don't apply that shit to GB just because they decide to react to something. It's a reaction, you can judge it all you want but don't apply your shitty feeling of needing to "dig" into a random ass picture to figure out how they should feel about it first.

Patryn

they got terrible over the last year or so so I don't particularly mourn the site's passing. Guess doubling down on catering to dirtbags didn't right the ship.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily mourning them, just noting that the landscape for gaming sites is getting tinier and tinier.

And thankful that GB seems to be doing fine.

Question about L4D:

Is there a "right" way to play it? plan on FINALLY playing through the first game after i finish Halo 4 and i'm just going to play the campaign online so that randos can jump in if anything.

I've just had these games for a gazillion years and its time

edit: meant to post this in the steam thread but i guess you kids know a thing about l4d, too

DamnBoxes

check it out, see. The only thing you need to do right here is. Is nod your fuckin' head

1346768111_ty_thumbs_up.gif

I need to show you some love for this one.

I've only ever known The Escapist as "that place what hosts Zero Punctuation." Never delved into the actual site.

and Miracle of Sound and Jimquisition before they thankfully jumped ship

Question about L4D:

Is there a "right" way to play it? plan on FINALLY playing through the first game after i finish Halo 4 and i'm just going to play the campaign online so that randos can jump in if anything.

edit: meant to post this in the steam thread but i guess you kids know a thing about l4d, too

What do you mean right? Just play through and try not to die or be a detriment to your team. Call out the specials when you see them so people know what's active on the map.

Question about L4D:

Not really, as long as you're not playing on expert there's not much to worry. The main issue with that game was that the community became kind of toxic but if you're hosting a game you can pretty easily kick any assholes that join your game.

Volotaire

Question about L4D:

If you're planning to play on the PC, come prepared to play with friends. the community is TOXIC.

The main game, which many consider to be Versus mode, is full of players who will check the number of hours you have played in the lobby, kick you out if you are under, let's say about 800. The game suffers from rage quitters. Because the game is fully dependent on teammates, one team member leaving causes a knock on effect. Very frequently, people will start quitting as the other team wins the round, causing all the players to drop out of your team. Eventually , you're back to the lobby and it's the same song and dance. People will kick you for one wrong move. Be it not being to perform a instant death move with a charger, a failed hunter, or anything. Be prepared for the worst without friends or a good community to play with.

The problem is, L4D2 is one of the best multiplayer experiences of all time. When you get into the groove, fully co-ordinate as a team, humans, infected or in the other modes, the game is at its best. Nothing comes close to those moments.

Bytheway, I hope you are referring to L4D2 because the L4D community have all moved to L4D2. Valve imported all the maps and content from L4D and thus rendered the game useless for players outside the hardcore.

Question about L4D:

Love jumping in and playing with randos. I'll totally be jumping in the 360 version now that it is backwards compat. (I bought all the DLC and prefer it to PC version for some reason.)

thanks for the impressions everyone!

Bytheway, I hope you are referring to L4D2 because the L4D community have all moved to L4D2. Valve imported all the maps and content from L4D and thus rendered the game useless for players outside the hardcore.

i planned on playing the first one as in the first one and not the stuff that they imported from the first game to L4D2.

Unless that's, like, an incredibly dumb thing to do? Like i said, this will be the first time i jump in so i have zero idea as to what to do, just that I know that i want to play L4D's campaign and i figured that just playing the first game would do

a call of duty casket, taken at face value, is such a weirdly backwoods american thing that snark is an appropriate response.

Of course, when viewed within the context of the whole story it takes on a different meaning. but that doesn't make the face value impression any less warranted because, in the end, it was still a COD casket.

sitting here snark shaming isn't helpful, the odds that he was fully aware of the context behind that casket when making that comment are likely slim because, as we can all agree, if he knew the whole story about it then it would be something done in poor taste

Of course he wouldn't have said anything if he knew the context. That's my point. When your first instinct is snark, you're inevitably going to say something regrettable, so maybe ease off the throttle in your rush to tweet or post first or whatever. Also, it's a coffin, so maybe one should puzzle out that someone died.

Snark has nothing to do with it. You can look at something and have a base reaction without having to dig into the details to first see if you are warranted in your feelings. Just because you later find out it's a different story doesn't mean you were required to first look for that and it doesn't make that original thought suddenly bad.

This is a site where the phrase "Video games are dumb" is pretty damn normal. Seeing a dumb thing on a coffin is allowed to look dumb on first impression.

I only get annoyed at this type of shit when it comes to Giant Bomb because we come to this site most of all for these guys' reactions. We watched for over 10 hours yesterday for them playing VR games. It seems absolutely stupid to come to this thread and give shit for their natural reactions to shit because someone is working with more information at a different time. People just seem to go out of their way to feel bad about shit, and I'm fine if people want to do that but don't apply that shit to GB just because they decide to react to something. It's a reaction, you can judge it all you want but don't apply your shitty feeling of needing to "dig" into a random ass picture to figure out how they should feel about it first.

Sorry, but I disagree. I've definitely had reactions, learned more, and then felt like human filth for having those reactions. My initial feelings aren't absolved because I was ignorant. The hope is you take it with you and learn something instead of making excuses for yourself.

That's kind of what Austin did when he also tweeted about the coffin.

Also, I think it's strange to compare hot takes on video games to a coffin.

Volotaire

I feel like a crazy person for loving L4D 1 and disliking L4D2.

I understand the appeal for the first. It has a beautiful simplicity with its limited range of Special Infected and weapons.

thanks for the impressions everyone!

i planned on playing the first one as in the first one and not the stuff that they imported from the first game to L4D2.

Unless that's, like, an incredibly dumb thing to do? Like i said, this will be the first time i jump in so i have zero idea as to what to do, just that I know that i want to play L4D's campaign and i figured that just playing the first game would do

I would say forget the first and go straight and play the second. L4D2 includes all the content, campaign and characters, from L4D1 (they added it free in the PC version). Assuming you want to play the L4D campaign online, no-one will be playing L4D1 and therefore it will be a redundant choice.

Try Versus too! It's the main game!

2 has all of the missions from 1 and they added the new infected and weapons from 2 so it's not really worth playing 1 at this point.
Because you are.

None of the new infected or characters grabbed me and the same goes for the levels. I recognise that it's a better game but it was a huge disappointment to me personally.
I haven't played 2 since around launch but I kind of feel the same way. I'm sure it's pretty different now though.

I also only played it at launch and basically beat it once and dropped it. I will say that this thread is making me think that I should look at it again, especially after all the tweaks and changes they made to it since launch.

I understand the appeal for the first. It has a beautiful simplicity with its limited range of Special Infected and weapons.

I would say forget the first and go straight and play the second. L4D2 includes all the content, campaign and characters, from the L4D1 (they added it free in the PC version). Assuming you want to play the L4D campaign online, no-one will be playing L4D1 and therefore it will be a redundant choice.

Try Versus too! It's the main game!

maybe this is a stupid question but am i going to miss anything story-wise if i play the L4D1 campaigns in 2? Like character interactions or anything?

If not, i'll just do as you say

First second element girl casual VR game , players play from a future world of mechanical mosquito , in order to purify the human due to environmental degradation and pollution of blood ,you will use the time machine back to the 21 century , while peeping the girl learned enough DNA samples to save the fate of the future of mankind .
In the blood-sucking process requires players to avoid beauty's attack by pesticides , remove mosquito traps, collect coins, attack girl's sensitive point .
This game take full advantage of VR features , develop a variety of gameplay. There are two levels right now. bedrooms and bathroom, two girl characters , ten sets of clothing , and more , so stay tuned .

good, good

the future is bright

Volotaire

Far as I'm aware that stuff is all the same, it's not like there's much of that stuff anyway.

I think Pliskin is right.

On the Death Toll wiki page, they say this:

Scene transition and event dialog remain unchanged; Survivors speak their campaign exclusive lines normally as in the original version.

I can only find this for one of the campaigns in L4D. The majority of the changes are incorporating the L4D2 elements in the maps (Special infected, weapons, etc) and slight changes to special events.

If you own L4D already and have friends ready to play with you, I guess it won't be too bad if you're worried about changes. The maps are very 'replayable'.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
At some point Escapist had some really good shows, they lost most of them after the GG debacle. Zero Punctuation was the only thing left on that site worth seeing for me.

Of course he wouldn't have said anything if he knew the context. That's my point. When your first instinct is snark, you're inevitably going to say something regrettable, so maybe ease off the throttle in your rush to tweet or post first or whatever. Also, it's a coffin, so maybe one should puzzle out that someone died.

Sorry, but I disagree. I've definitely had reactions, learned more, and then felt like human filth for having those reactions. My initial feelings aren't absolved because I was ignorant. The hope is you take it with you and learn something instead of making excuses for yourself.

You're kind of missing the point. People were shutting on his reaction to just the picture when they themselves had more information saying it only requires a little digging. My point is he isn't required to do that digging before having a reaction. If people want to do that digging to find a way to feel bad by all means go ahead.

yami4ct

I keep falling down the rabbit hole of wasting time reading damn 'censorship' threads. All I do is make myself hate video games. I could spend that time playing Fire Emblem and TM2 and just be experiencing pure joy.

Why do I always make this same silly mistake?

You're kind of missing the point. People were shutting on his reaction to just the picture when they themselves had more information saying it only requires a little digging. My point is he isn't required to do that digging before having a reaction. If people want to do that digging to find a way to feel bad by all means go ahead.

That's fair. It's out of the ordinary, to be certain. Pointing out when someone made a mistake shouldn't be a public flogging.

I keep falling down the rabbit hole of wasting time reading damn 'censorship' threads. All I do is make myself hate video games. I could spend that time playing Fire Emblem and TM2 and just be experiencing pure joy.

The sheer stupidity of the Star Ocean situation has thankfully killed any further interest in torturing myself with those threads.

what now

edit-oh star ocean

isn't the checkered dress chick still there, what's the complaint

Are you talking about that Overwatch thing or is there an even newer injustice? That Overwatch thing is really dumb

“Recently, there’s been a lot of flak from overseas countries saying that if you put teens in ‘sexual’ underwear it’s not good,” said Kobayashi. “So we increased the amount of clothing.”

this is a kind of amazing quote though

Bowlie

Banned

You just made me head down there.

No_Style

It's a coffin though. This isn't a pair of Call of Duty pajamas or something benign like that. I get what you're saying and I tend to agree but there are certain subjects that a little pause for discretion wouldn't hurt.

People should point it out the mistake but not condemn him for it though.

FStop7

Banned

Also...

Giant Bomb is a site about video games. So getting twisted when confronted with the reality that video games are children's toys is probably not the best reaction. Same as how so many adult Star Wars fans get greasy and moist when confronted by the fact that those movies are for kids (as Jeff himself mentions whenever Star Wars comes up.)

So no, discovering a child's coffin with Call of Duty on it shouldn't come as any more of an affront or surprise than one with Spider-Man or Spongebob. But let's say it does come as a shock. Perhaps taking the 5 seconds to type "call of duty coffin" into Google to get the full story before rushing to be the King of Twitter Snark Shit Mountain would have been a better idea?

The guy who donated them built them himself and customized them with things that the kids liked (Dallas Cowboys, WWE, Frozen, CoD.) What an asshole amirite? I bet he doesn't even know what kayfabe means.

that sentence makes the censor-gators seems pretty gross for pushing for that stuff, which is kinda funny really

I'm pretty sure I've come close to being banned before by arguing with people trying to convince them that maybe avoiding sexualizing minors is more important than the supposed artistic vision of whatever dumb game you're defending

it's not worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom