• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giving a Console for Christmas -- Need GAF Advice

olimario

Banned
My friend of 5 years had just had a baby. Her husband lost his job as a chef at the start of the pregnancy so I've been helping them out financially all through it as he has worked small jobs to keep their family afloat.
Now they have a baby and the financial situation hasn't improved. In fact, its going to get worse because the hospital almost killed my friend and they had to spend money to save her life and now they'll have to spend money to sue the hospital.

Skip the QUOTE if you don't want to hear what happened.
She had just given birth and she was a bit sick to her stomache and about to throw up, so they gave her what they thought was Picosin which helps nasea.
Well they actually gave her magnesium; Something that people get when they have seizures during labor.
The human body naturally has 2u of Magnesium.
During a seizure you'll get 5 in a slow drip to calm all of your muscles.
Tammi got 22 in a flush and it shut down everything. Her heart stopped. She stopped breathing. They almost couldn't get a tube into her lungs to breath for her.

The went through a day long ICU recovery and is stable now.
The doctors said she shouldn't be alive and when she asked about the long term effects of too much magnesium, the doctor said he's never heard of a case of anyone taking over 7.

THE POINT
Anyhow, I'm still doing small things to help them out and I've been pretty good about getting them done on my own, but I need help picking out a console for her husband for Christmas.
I'm already planning on getting their son stuff and my girlfriend is getting Tammi Mary Kay stuff, but I have to find the right console and games.

Her Husband Barry has
A Playstation
Rainbow Six Games
Baseball Games

QUESTIONS
I was thinking about an XBOX with Rainbow Six Three and Splinter Cell. Here is the help I need.
-Which Splinter Cell has better single player?
-How is the Single Player in Rainbow Six 3?
-Why does he like the PSX Rainbow 6 games?

Would a PS2 be a better purchase for the backwards compatability?
Thanks for your help, GAF.

*Also... If you want to help in any way it would be much appreciated. They really need help and I'm giving all I can.

Also. The Rainbow Six titles on the PSX play like crap and are so VERY ugly. The AI is non existant and the texture warping is horrible. Ubi has come a long way since last gen.

BuddyC

Rainbow Six on Xbox > PS2

Unless he's ditching the PSX when you give him a new console, don't worry about backwards compatibility. I'd say go for the Xbox, unless there's something on PS2 he really really wants.

lexi

Banned
This post really made me want to bitch about the American Health care system, but thats for another topic, in another forum.

I personally preferred the first Splinter Cell, whether or not I'm in the minority, I have no idea. As to the other questions, I've never been a huge Rainbow Six fan, so I can't make any comments. All the best to your friend, though.

olimario

Banned
lockii said:
This post really made me want to bitch about the American Health care system, but thats for another topic, in another forum.

I personally preferred the first Splinter Cell, whether or not I'm in the minority, I have no idea. As to the other questions, I've never been a huge Rainbow Six fan, so I can't make any comments. All the best to your friend, though.

Is the first SC game better, or just the story?
Pandora Tomorrow, apart from multi, didn't get a lot of GAF praise, it seems.

He loves the crappy PSX RSIX games, so I think he'll dig the new ones.

And thanks for the kind words.

jiggle

Generally I think gift cards are too impersonal, but with their financial difficulty, wouldn't a GC to a general store like Target or Wal-mart make more sense? They could use it for diapers and formula or baby clothes, or even the console of his choice.

Of course if he's the proud type, money would be a bad choice. Both consoles would make a good gift. And just because I'm sony biased, I'll suggest the PSTwo with its large variety of games and large quantities of greatest hit titles.

olimario

Banned
jiggle said:
Generally I think gift cards are too impersonal, but with their financial difficulty, wouldn't a GC to a general store like Target or Wal-mart make more sense? They could use it for diapers and formula or baby clothes, or even the console of his choice.

Of course if he's the proud type, money would be a bad choice. Both consoles would make a good gift. And just because I'm sony biased, I'll suggest the PSTwo with its large variety of games and large quantities of greatest hit titles.

I've already focused on helping them financially and with food/clothing needs and now baby needs.
For Christmas my gf and I are getting them fun things they've been without for a couple years now. They don't get to kick back and have fun anymore because of money limitations. Thats why I'm going to try to scrape together enough money for a console and she's going to get her the cosmetics and body pampering stuff.

The PSTwo would be good for the game variety and backwards compatability... but how are the Rainbow Six games on the PS2 compared to the XBOX? I know Splinter Cell doesn't stack up well.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have just finished playing single player ghost Recon and im up to what I believe is the last part of the last mission of splinter cell.

I picked up the two titles up in a Action double pack for the Xbox in Australia that cost the equivalent of only $15 US dollars ($7.50 each game!) the games were in there original boxes so it was a great buy.

So look out for such double packs in the states, anyway splinter cell is an amazing game I haven’t picked up PT yet but the story comes together very nicely in SC, and ghost recon was great fun (the first leveled sucked).

To be honest I wouldn’t give money as some people suggested it’s not a very thought out gift, but I think you should see if there are any items they need for the baby first.

So anyway if he loves Tom Clancy games pick him up an Xbox, and you are very generous for buying your friend such a great gift.

On a side note viewing from Australia I can’t believe how the US government can spend such huge amounts of money on the war on terror when many people are subjected to substandard and expensive medical procedures.

olimario

Banned
I want people to know that I'm looking out for the baby and for them first.
I have been for a couple years and I will continue to.

These gifts are an afterthought and something that I want to give them so they can FINALLY have some new, fun, leisure items.

Just for info: gamefront reported a few days ago that Ubi is about to release the Tom Clancy's Classic Trilogy, a bundle of the three games Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3 and Ghost Recon for 39,90$ and only for Xbox.

olimario

Banned
johnjohnson said:
Just for info: gamefront reported a few days ago that Ubi is about to release the Tom Clancy's Classic Trilogy, a bundle of the three games Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3 and Ghost Recon for 39,90$ and only for Xbox.

You don't know how much ass that kicks. Thank you SO much for thank information!
This might push me over the edge for the XBOX.

miyuru

Is a console going to help that much..?

Not that I'm going against you, but maybe there's something that they could use that's more functional, I dunno what exactly. That pisses me off they messed up that bad (the hospital).

Miguel

MVP Baseball 2004. The game is fucking GREAT. (I'm going by the PS baseball game that he probably likes it)

Before you give it to him, make sure to get the roster update on a memory card for him. :D

Astros without Carlos Beltran...it's not even worth it.

olimario, what sorts of things do you think this family could use? I can't offer much as far as money goes but if there are any specific items that you believe could aid your friends through donation please post a few ideas.

All my best to the whole family and to you for being a great friend to them.

cja

Another plus for the Xbox is no memory card requirement. With baseball games those costly PS2 8MB cards will fill up very quickly.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Well they should easily be able to find a plaintiff's attorney who will work on a contingency fee basis, which means they wouldn't have to pay anything until they win a judgment or get a settlement. In fact, if it is really as open and shut as you say, they could shop around for an attorney because there will be no shortage of willing litigators.

olimario

Banned
I think they're going to go after the hospital in hopes of a settlement. The settlement being that the hospital take care of all bills dealing with magnesium related problems and all bills the first couple years for their child, Blakelee.

MVP Baseball 2004 on the XBOX. How do I get the roster update?

olimario, what sorts of things do you think this family could use? I can't offer much as far as money goes but if there are any specific items that you believe could aid your friends through donation please post a few ideas.

All my best to the whole family and to you for being a great friend to them.

Thank you so much. I'll have a website set up for their baby soon with their family information. I'll PM you then and perhaps you can e-mail them.
I appreciate the kind words, too.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I would advise them to get a lawyer. It won't cost them anything and an experienced lawyer will know how to get them the best settlement possible. No hospital would want such a case involving an infant to go to a jury.

olimario

Banned
Guileless said:
I would advise them to get a lawyer. It won't cost them anything and an experienced lawyer will know how to get them the best settlement possible. No hospital would want such a case involving an infant to go to a jury.

They are working on the lawyer situation. They wouldn't attempt a settlement without one, I don't think.
If they can't get one and neither one of their parents have one, a friend of my girlfriend's family is a very prominent lawyer here in Houston.

shuri

Banned
What a retarded idea. I would resell your console 10 minutes after you were gone. Give them money, or buy gift card. Again, receiving a gift card, or real money might be humiliating. Giving them a freaking VIDEOGAME CONSOLE when they just had a baby and their financial status is down the drain has to be one of the most retarded gift ever.

jesus i cant believe this.

Buy diapers, baby clothes, or some of that special baby milk. Who gives a flying fuck about playing videogames when you have a baby on your hands to take care of.

COCKLES

being watched
Christmas is a time for sharing on Xbox Live with the Family

welcome.jpg

olimario

Banned
shuri said:
What a retarded idea. I would resell your console 10 minutes after you were gone. Give them money, or buy gift card. Again, receiving a gift card, or real money might be humiliating. Giving them a freaking VIDEOGAME CONSOLE when they just had a baby and their financial status is down the drain has to be one of the most retarded gift ever.

jesus i cant believe this.

Buy diapers, baby clothes, or some of that special baby milk. Who gives a flying fuck about playing videogames when you have a baby on your hands to take care of.
\

DID YOU NOT READ ANY POST AFTER THE INITIAL?
This console is an afterthought, as are the cosmetics Christie is giving Tammi.
My focus every week since last year was their financial well-being. I've given them so much food, so many clothes, and I've lent them so much money and I will continue to.

This is an extra gift on top of everything else I have and will continue to give them... A gift so they can FINALLY have something fun and something relaxing in their lives. I won't let them go without the things they need just because I'm getting them this.

Top Bottom