• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gladiator 2 Trailer

Eiknarf

Banned
This movie is going to be waaaaaay better than the first!!

Oh wait!!! no, it’s not

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Holly crap, the like/dislike ratio after a few days....

Hbxqw4a.png

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Pascal ruined the whole movie, more so than training day Denzel, if anything I’d watch it, streaming, for him and pretend this is multiverse and he’s getting a second chance.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
IDK why in fuck people see on Pascal.
He's like the older, male version of Jenna Ortega. They're both in everything. It's jarring, if anything. I don't consume as much entertainment media, but damn, when I look around to see what's on the menu, those two are in so many movies...

Uhtred

Made by people who don’t understand why the first is still loved? It looks like what they did with 300 (2) Rise of an Empire unfortunately.
Spot fkn on! Starting with the protagonist whom is not believable to me. They lost me with his casting.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm just gonna say it :
Fuck rap and hip hop, one of the worst genres of music that - somehow - managed to reach popular status.

Garbage tier of music where 99% of the "artists" have zero musical talent.

Your opinion... You must be young and not know the history of hip-hop/rap. It wasn't always like it is today even though there's some diamonds in the rough out there.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Your opinion... You must be young and not know the history of hip-hop/rap. It wasn't always like it is today even though there's some diamonds in the rough out there.

Hey Deaf 😉
I'm an old fart brother and I know rap's history - and while not everything out there is bad,.most of it is - always IMO obviously.

Being an artist, and to be more specific, a musician, there's some rules and prerequisites that have to be met :
- being able read music
- being able to write it
- being able/good at playing at least a musical instrument
- having the God-given talent of having a good voice/being able to sing.
- A mix or all of the above.

Now, stealing/grabbing samples (literally ), looping 'em, making beats or writing rhymes does not a musician make, sure, it takes some skill (like everything in life really) but...
Now, Getting to Grandmaster Flash or Dj Kool Herc's levels ain't easy (respect to the OG's) but these are the exception to the rule, what I'm talking about is mostly "modern" hip-hop :
You can't tell me that 50 Cent has an artistic bone in his body, you can't tell me that Kanye can sing (his Rockstar phase was lol), you can't tell me that Akon is an "artist", you can't tell me that Lil' Wayne can play the guitar (cool person though), that Gucci mane is an "artist", that Cardi B elevates music to new levels with amazingly eloquent, artistic songs like "WAP"and so on so forth...
Then you have white dudes like Eminem which is supposed to be God's gift to rap where he's still doing "beefs" at the age of 50 - this is the "quality", level, "class" and artistry that we're talking about here.

Rap/hip-hop, for better or worse, the last 20+ years has turned into brain-rot shite for the masses just for them to grind with each other in some steamy club.
No real artistry nor real drive behind it besides the producers in the back.
It's just shallow, crass fluff for the masses brother with no redeeming qualities whatsoever - talking about pussy, bitches, hoes, cars and ego(s), nigga this, nigga that, after 20+ years has gotten long in the tooth...

This world needs more BB Kings, Sam Cookes, Johnny Aces, Louis Jordans, Big Joe Turners, Miles Davises, John Coltranes, Dizzy Gillespies, Jimmy Hendrixes etc etc than all the aforementioned, no-talent, crass/vulgar, illiterate hacks brother...
Besides, you think that 50 years from now, people are gonna remember the Cardi B's, 50 cents and Akons of today ?

Anyway, I like you deaf, thanks for not coming at me and actually try to have a discussion, 'ppreciate it brother 😉

Cheers

PS: sorry for the (kinda) off-topic gents

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hey Deaf 😉
I'm an old fart brother and I know rap's history - and while not everything out there is bad,.most of it is - always IMO obviously.

Being an artist, and to be more specific, a musician, there's some rules and prerequisites that have to be met :
- being able read music
- being able to write it
- being able/good at playing at least a musical instrument
- having the God-given talent of having a good voice/being able to sing.
- A mix or all of the above.

Now, stealing/grabbing samples (literally ), looping 'em, making beats or writing rhymes does not a musician make, sure, it takes some skill (like everything in life really) but...
Now, Getting to Grandmaster Flash or Dj Kool Herc's levels ain't easy (respect to the OG's) but these are the exception to the rule, what I'm talking about is mostly "modern" hip-hop :
You can't tell me that 50 Cent has an artistic bone in his body, you can't tell me that Kanye can sing (his Rockstar phase was lol), you can't tell me that Akon is an "artist", you can't tell me that Lil' Wayne can play the guitar (cool person though), that Gucci mane is an "artist", that Cardi B elevates music to new levels with amazingly eloquent, artistic songs like "WAP"and so on so forth...
Then you have white dudes like Eminem which is supposed to be God's gift to rap where he's still doing "beefs" at the age of 50 - this is the "quality", level, "class" and artistry that we're talking about here.

Rap/hip-hop, for better or worse, the last 20+ years has turned into brain-rot shite for the masses just for them to grind with each other in some steamy club.
No real artistry nor real drive behind it besides the producers in the back.
It's just shallow, crass fluff for the masses brother with no redeeming qualities whatsoever - talking about pussy, bitches, hoes, cars and ego(s), nigga this, nigga that, after 20+ years has gotten long in the tooth...

This world needs more BB Kings, Sam Cookes, Johnny Aces, Louis Jordans, Big Joe Turners, Miles Davises, John Coltranes, Dizzy Gillespies, Jimmy Hendrixes etc etc than all the aforementioned, no-talent, crass/vulgar, illiterate hacks brother...
Besides, you think that 50 years from now, people are gonna remember the Cardi B's, 50 cents and Akons of today ?

Anyway, I like you deaf, thanks for not coming at me and actually try to have a discussion brother, 'ppreciate it brother 😉

Cheers

PS: sorry for the (kinda) off-topic gents

I appreciate the clarification... And I actually agree with you! I listen to more old school hip hop than I do modern stuff. Some of the new school stuff I like but it can't hold a candle to what I listened to from the 70s and 80s and EARLY 90s!

We are in agreement!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There’s more than one way to be a musician. Some of the best electronic music musicians can’t play an instrument either, but they still create great work. Same goes for hip-hop artists who sample. It began in places like pre-gentrified Brooklyn because they couldn’t afford fancy equipment and didn’t have access to a good musical education. But a tape deck and a mic was enough to create real music.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
There’s more than one way to be a musician. Some of the best electronic music musicians can’t play an instrument either, but they still create great work. Same goes for hip-hop artists who sample. It began in places like pre-gentrified Brooklyn because they couldn’t afford fancy equipment and didn’t have access to a good musical education. But a tape deck and a mic was enough to create real music.

Never said that you necessarily have to play the guitar/piano/whatever or, have F.Mercury's/Geoff Tate's/Bruce Dickinson's/Rob Halford's voice to be considered a musician - heck man, Jimmy Hendrix couldn't read music, does it mean that he was a talentless hack ? Of course not.

There's a difference though between non-traditional made music and the lower-tier of generic, mainstream hip-hop/rap shite of today - Let's take Electronic music as an example here: Vangelis (Papathanasiou) was a God amongst men, Jean-Michel Jarre was/is Godlike, Kraftwerk were pioneers as was Halim El Dabh, Raymond Scott etc, then you have Giorgio Moroder and even Afrika bambaataa (since we're talking about hip-hop), all creative music were the people making it could/can be considered real artists/musicians...
On the other hand, you have amazing, artistic, eloquent poetry like :
- " I'll take you to the candy shop, I'll make you lick the lollipop"
- " There's some whores in this house /Yeah, you fucking with some wet ass pussy, Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy/Spit in my mouth, look at my eyes This pussy is wet, come take a dive"
- " All you ladies pop yo' pussy like this Lick it good
Suck this pussy just like you should, right now
Lick it good
Suck this pussy just like you should, my neck, my back
Lick my pussy and my crack"

...and these are just a few examples Evil.

Not everything is like this garbage obviously but, again, mainstream hip hop/rap has been shit, vulgar and crude for the past 20+ years.

The world needs more grandmaster flashes, Afrika bambaataa, Kool Herc's, Sugarhill gangs etc than it needs Cardi Bs, Khias, Akons, 50 cents and Megan thee stallions.

Cheers

Last edited:

DKehoe

Never said that you necessarily have to play the guitar/piano/whatever or, have F.Mercury's/Geoff Tate's/Bruce Dickinson's/Rob Halford's voice to be considered a musician - heck man, Jimmy Hendrix couldn't read music, does it mean that he was a talentless hack ? Of course not.

There's a difference though between non-traditional made music and the lower-tier of generic, mainstream hip-hop/rap shite of today - Let's take Electronic music as an example here: Vangelis (Papathanasiou) was a God amongst men, Jean-Michel Jarre was/is Godlike, Kraftwerk were pioneers as was Halim El Dabh, Raymond Scott etc, then you have Giorgio Moroder and even Afrika bambaataa (since we're talking about hip-hop), all creative music were the people making it could/can be considered real artists/musicians...
On the other hand, you have amazing, artistic, eloquent poetry like :
- " I'll take you to the candy shop, I'll make you lick the lollipop"
- " There's some whores in this house /Yeah, you fucking with some wet ass pussy, Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy/Spit in my mouth, look at my eyes This pussy is wet, come take a dive"
- " All you ladies pop yo' pussy like this Lick it good
Suck this pussy just like you should, right now
Lick it good
Suck this pussy just like you should, my neck, my back
Lick my pussy and my crack"

...and these are just a few examples Evil.

Not everything is like this garbage obviously but, again, mainstream hip hop/rap has been shit, vulgar and crude for the past 20+ years.

The world needs more grandmaster flashes, Afrika bambaataa, Kool Herc's, Sugarhill gangs etc than it needs Cardi Bs, Khias, Akons, 50 cents and Megan thee stallions.

Cheers
You had outlined requirements to be considered a musician and one of those was being able to read music. But now you’re saying that Hendrix was one despite the fact he couldn’t read music. This is the issue people often run into with that sort of thing, it’s hard to nail down a set of criteria that includes what you want and excludes what you don’t. Why can it not just be that musicians are people who make music?

I think you also have to admit that going to stuff like WAP as your examples is being pretty selective. There are dumb lyrics in all kinds of genres. I wouldn’t consider myself a hip hop expert but someone like Kendrick Lamar has been hugely commercially successful while also winning a Pulitzer.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
New Trailer

the apes or whatever the fuck they are look terrible

Look at how the vibe drastically improves with an actual score instead of a hiphop beat. And it harkens back to the original OST, no less.

Still not sure if Denzel is actually the main character or if they're pushing him in these trailers because he's a familiar actor. Or perhaps because they realized that the MC has not even an ounce of the charisma and on-screen presence that Russel Crowe has.

Top Bottom