• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye hype thead!!

93xfan

Banned
Who else here can’t wait to play the Goldeneye remaster on Xbox?

I’m looking forward to the fun of unlocking everything and also getting a nice, smooth frame rate for the first time.

If the Perfect Dark remaster holds up, I’m sure this will hold up too. Admittedly, it’s part nostalgia as well, but it also is a unique FPS unlike anything else out there today.

Zuo

Nah brah. I wasn't a fan of it when it first came out, so I'm not wearing my nostalgia glasses.

With that said, I do hope it's everything you're hoping it will be!
Thanks for letting us know you don't care about the game this thread is about, Mr. Emo Boy PFP.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Gny0ieG.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ll be doing all of the speed runs to unlock all cheats when it releases on Xbox. Will go for all cheavos. Will be fun to see if I’m as good as my 9 year old self :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hope it’s for sale individually rather than locked to Rare Replay like the original Conker.

93xfan

Banned
Thanks for letting us know you don't care about the game this thread is about, Mr. Emo Boy PFP.
I think he just wanted to wish me well. Firefly is a friendly poster. Also, he admits it never was his thing.

I’ve seen people come here to brag about their options on PC, or say a game doesn’t hold up and everyone excited is a fool. That’s not what Firefly was doing.

93xfan

Banned
Project 64

Counter Factor "1"

Overclock Modifier "3"

You are welcome.
But no one asked or cared about PC. You’ve had the opportunity to talk about that shit for years.

Noticed you didn’t post a link to the game itself, or even a website that has it. Maybe you’re not as comfortable with piracy as you think. (Not advocating you post a link, just making a point).

calistan

I love Goldeneye - I've still got my N64 cart with all cheats unlocked - but this is hard to get hyped for. Knowing that it's just a Virtual Console-style emulated rom, when there has been a proper official remastered version out there, ready to go, for over a decade... It makes me angry at Nintendo for being such a bunch of dicks about it, and angry at Microsoft for not finding a way to make it work.

Soodanim

I love Goldeneye - I've still got my N64 cart with all cheats unlocked - but this is hard to get hyped for. Knowing that it's just a Virtual Console-style emulated rom, when there has been a proper official remastered version out there, ready to go, for over a decade... It makes me angry at Nintendo for being such a bunch of dicks about it, and angry at Microsoft for not finding a way to make it work.
Was it Nintendo's fault? It was in license hell for a long time, which means multiple parties were unable to come to a satisfactory agreement

GymWolf

Gold Member
Probably the game that started my obsession for good hit reactions\gore\meaty combat in videogames.

I though medal of honor 1 was the first one but goldeneye relased like 4 years before that one.

There was something so crunchy and satisfying in using that damn silenced pistol.

calistan

Was it Nintendo's fault? It was in license hell for a long time, which means multiple parties were unable to come to a satisfactory agreement
It was a while ago, but if I remember correctly the rights to the 007 games were held by Activision, who were willing to allow Microsoft to publish the remaster on Xbox 360. However, because of their relationship with Nintendo, as one of the few major third-parties still supporting the Wii, Activision ran it by Nintendo first. Even though Nintendo didn't have the rights to either the Goldeneye game or the 007 brand. Of course the answer was no, so that was the end of it.

(I worked on games magazines at the time, and this was our "insider" information. Who knows if we were lied to?)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I really want to replay the campaign, it will be a huge nostalgia blast doing it all in 00 Agent.

I’m afraid the experience doing couch MP all these years can never be recreated unfortunately, Goldeneye / Mario Kart 64 / F-Zero X was the pinnacle of MP gaming for me.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I wonder how much money Pierce Brosnon will make for having his likeness in another version of the game.

Sephimoth

Have I missed a release date announcement (since the "its coming!!!" one)? Looking forward to it anyway

Last edited:

nkarafo

But no one asked or cared about PC. You’ve had the opportunity to talk about that shit for years.

Noticed you didn’t post a link to the game itself, or even a website that has it. Maybe you’re not as comfortable with piracy as you think. (Not advocating you post a link, just making a point).

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

BlackTron

This was announced right after I went through the trouble of restoring the sticks on all my old N64 controllers and lugging a CRT into my house, AND dual booting Windows 10 just to get the leaked Xbox 360 remaster to run. All for 007-testing-comparison-science. I was kind of ready for this to happen already.

After all that effort I get the news that the original ROM is coming back emulated on Nintendo with online, and up-res'd on Xbox without online. Yeah my hype went from 60 when I saw the logo to 0 in seconds as I read the details.

anthony2690

If it comes out before Christmas, might see if I can get my brothers round for Christmas for some split screen multiplayer like when we was children :)

Mattyp

Gold Member

It was Nintendo's and it was documented at the time (even over this last decade) they didn’t want to come to the table. Why that RARE insider started leaking the finished build.

Even now Microsoft aren’t getting online on the superior console, you know this is a caveat of Nintendos.

calistan

It was Nintendo's and it was documented at the time (even over this last decade) they didn’t want to come to the table. Why that RARE insider started leaking the finished build.

Even now Microsoft aren’t getting online on the superior console, you know this is a caveat of Nintendos.
They could have released it without Nintendo's approval. It was mothballed because of Activision not wanting to piss Nintendo off.

I'm sure that today, now that everyone is in some sort of agreement, they could have put the enhanced 360 version on both Xbox and Switch. But unfortunately that doesn't mesh too well with Nintendo's minimum effort "nothing but the rom" approach to re-releases. It's a shoddy way to treat such a significant console game.

Wasn’t it supposed to release this year, we’ve got a month left.

I’m not as excited as I initially was though, I was hoping for online servers on Xbox, I was hoping for bots like perfect dark. Still excited, just not pure hype.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I guess, will be nice to replay it but it'll just be a short lived nostalgia trip.

As soon as you play it you'll see how dated it is, Goldeneye was of its time.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It was a while ago, but if I remember correctly the rights to the 007 games were held by Activision, who were willing to allow Microsoft to publish the remaster on Xbox 360. However, because of their relationship with Nintendo, as one of the few major third-parties still supporting the Wii, Activision ran it by Nintendo first. Even though Nintendo didn't have the rights to either the Goldeneye game or the 007 brand. Of course the answer was no, so that was the end of it.

(I worked on games magazines at the time, and this was our "insider" information. Who knows if we were lied to?)
They could have released it without Nintendo's approval. It was mothballed because of Activision not wanting to piss Nintendo off.

I'm sure that today, now that everyone is in some sort of agreement, they could have put the enhanced 360 version on both Xbox and Switch. But unfortunately that doesn't mesh too well with Nintendo's minimum effort "nothing but the rom" approach to re-releases. It's a shoddy way to treat such a significant console game.
Do you not realize how ridiculous it is to claim they haven't had any rights to the game for two decades but somehow still exert this level of control? Either they have some rights to it and so are free to exert control like any company does over things it owns (and thus are being gracious allowing any release on competing platforms), or they don't have any rights and control so you can't blame them for everything you don't like about how the game is handled by those who do have these. You can only pick one rather than merge/twist them into a third worst of both worlds option. Activision released games on Wii so Kotick ran the release of a game Nintendo has no rights to by them rather than do what's best for their profits and brands. Or, they were illegally blackmailed into that being best for them because if they were banned from releasing COD ports on Wii then even a proper GoldenEye port/remake on other platforms wouldn't make up for it and then some. Also they just bent and took this. This continued for 15 years since, through WiiU, by all parties with the rights still wanting to please Nintendo first. Also they don't do remasters/remakes! Yup, game journalism™

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

I bet Nintendo denied a remake so they could sell more of their Expensive pack subscription.

calistan

Do you not realize how ridiculous it is to claim they haven't had any rights to the game for two decades but somehow still exert this level of control? Either they have some rights to it and so are free to exert control like any company does over things it owns (and thus are being gracious allowing any release on competing platforms), or they don't have any rights and control so you can't blame them for everything you don't like about how the game is handled by those who do have these. You can only pick one rather than merge/twist them into a third worst of both worlds option. Activision released games on Wii so Kotick ran the release of a game Nintendo has no rights to by them rather than do what's best for their profits and brands. Or, they were illegally blackmailed into that being best for them because if they were banned from releasing COD ports on Wii then even a proper GoldenEye port/remake on other platforms wouldn't make up for it and then some. Also they just bent and took this. This continued for 15 years since, through WiiU, by all parties with the rights still wanting to please Nintendo first. Also they don't do remasters/remakes! Yup, game journalism™
Okay, you're clearly the expert here.

Dr.D00p

For anyone interested (in the UK, but I'm sure it will find its way to other territories via unofficial means) there is a 2hr documentary about the making of N64 Goldeneye on Sky Documentaries 27th December at 10.40pm:

Not listed as a repeat, so must be new:

pIq9qWp.jpg

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
For anyone interested (in the UK, but I'm sure it will find its way to other territories via unofficial means) there is a 2hr documentary about the making of N64 Goldeneye on Sky Documentaries 27th December at 10.40pm:

pIq9qWp.jpg
Fucking hell that’s great. I’ve got now entertainment, wonder if Sky Documentaries is included? I’m holding old Rareware staff are involved as they are always very candid.

Last edited:

anthony2690

pIq9qWp.jpg
I'll give this a watch, could be interesting.

Who else here can’t wait to play the Goldeneye remaster on Xbox?

I’m looking forward to the fun of unlocking everything and also getting a nice, smooth frame rate for the first time.

If the Perfect Dark remaster holds up, I’m sure this will hold up too. Admittedly, it’s part nostalgia as well, but it also is a unique FPS unlike anything else out there today.
I need a release date!

Top Bottom