• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good brawlers/beat 'em ups?

belgurdo

Banned
It's been a while since I've played stuff outside of Samurai/Dynasty Warriors and D&D, and wanted to know what's worth searching out

belgurdo

Banned
lachesis said:
I kinda recommend guardian heros. :)

lachesis

Got it, but haven't played it in ages.

Playing as Ginjirou got ridiculous once I learned how to exploit that thunder dash thing he used :)

NotMSRP

Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Adventures of Bayou Billy, Prisoners of War, Battletoads, TMNT Arcade, Simpsons Arcade, Sailor Moon, etc.

belgurdo

Banned
NotMSRP said:
Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Adventures of Bayou Billy, Prisoners of War, Battletoads, TMNT Arcade, Simpsons Arcade, Sailor Moon, etc.

I think I've played all of these except for arcade Battletoads. I really wanted to like Sailor Moon, but I hated the lack of combat variety in the girls (plus you couldn't play as everyone either.) I just stuck to Mars and stared at her legs for an hour

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Streets of Rage 2 on Genesis - nothing has topped this yet. Final Fight arcade was close, but not really better. Should cost you $35 for the system and the game.

Blinky

I'd go with Viewtiful Joe all the way, it's easily my favorite game on the GCN. It's style is pretty unique and it's hard as hell. Plus, it has multiple modes so there is a bit of replayabilty there.

Other than that I'd go with some favorites already menioned, primarily the Streets of Rage series.

- Blinky

belgurdo

Banned
I've also played/beaten the entire Streets/Bare Knuckle line; despite what most people think about it, I prefer 3 over 2 (except in music) because the combat is more focused and gives you more options

thom

B00009YXDR.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
oh, as far as modern era stuff goes...you should really check out LOTR: Return of the King. It's a fantastic beat-em up. Lots of good moves, heavy action, many characters, co-op play, etc. Nasty hard at times too. Plus plenty of leveling up and new abilities, etc. Really first class game by EA. Not the hugest fan of the movie franchise (in the minority there) but this game was great and there are a bunch of extras if you're into the film.

User 406

Banned
Crimson Tears - The latest one out that's quite a bit of fun. Good beat-em-up action and lots of goodies to get.

Eve of Extinction - Another good adventure beat-em-up with the nifty ability to morph your weapon on the fly as you upgrade it. Makes for some very creative combos.

Oni - This game gets unfairly shat on. Behind the simple graphics and the shitty anime wannabe style is a great technical beat-em-up with strong enemy AI.

Top Bottom