• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good game that will sink without trace: ObsCure PS2/XBOX

COCKLES

being watched
Every year an unknown gem arrives, and every year that gem sinks amongst a flotsam of medicore ports and EA games.

This years entry: ObsCure (Mortifilia in US). http://www.obscure-game.com/fr/index.htm

Good decent little Silent Hill / RE survival horror from French publisher Microids. Best described as a homage to Buffy, Nightmare on Elm street ect taking place in a crumbling old American highschool.

Nice graphics. Controls pretty well. It's no RE4 - but it will go some way to easing the pain for PS2/Xbox owners while watching enviously at their Cube friends.

sim-obscure-001.jpg

sim-obscure-010.jpg

mortifilia-20040625034014835.jpg

mortifilia-20040625034011523.jpg

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
If nothing else, the two-player mode pisses on Outbreak's multiplayer from a great height.

Sadly, there is just about nothing else.

Rhindle

SolidSnakex said:
I'm definetly picking it up. I noticed it recently got a 4/5 in a magazine. Seems like it really turned out well. There doesn't seem to be a US release date for it though.
EBGames has it listed for February '05. Note that it will be called "Mortifilia" in the US.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hey, I remember the trailer for this game! Thought it looked pretty good at that time. Hey COCKLES, is the game scary in any way? And what's the focus on: fighting enemies or problem-solving adventure?

McFly

Played through the game some weeks ago. It's very short, but I had a good time with it. Gfx, animations and controles are ok. Some really good ideas, for example if you die, then that character is gone for the rest of the game and you switch to the other characters left and play with them ... there's no game over till your last character dies. Multiplayer is not that special ... good thing is that your friends don't have to just sit there and watch you play.

Fredi

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Kiriku said:
is the game scary in any way?

Cockles may disagree, but: No, not in the least. Although there's some genuinely disturbing bits, one in particular.

And what's the focus on: fighting enemies or problem-solving adventure?

Half and half, but the puzzles are brain-free (well, no more or less than the competition, I guess) and the combat's clunky and unsatisfying. Smashing up the school with baseball bats works pretty well, though.

I played the German version a few months ago and didn't know what the fuck was going on. Kinda liked how they thought all US teens had easy access to a gun though. :)

Also pretty fun, smacking those girls around with the bat.

Anyway, I'll probably pick it up when it hits the states. My friend who attempted to translate the German was interested too.

Top Bottom