• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good rally-racing games?

I have a friend who's looking to buy a new console, and is basing this decision on which has the best rally racer.

I know he prefers sim over arcade, but since I don't really follow racing games, I have no idea what's good... Colin Mcrae? Rallisport? Or maybe something on the horizon?

Thanks for any help.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Wait he wants to buy the console with the better rally sims?

This isn't even a contest, Xbox by a huge margin IMO.

Well Xbox has Colin Mcrae and Rallisport and both are excellent rally sims. PS2 has the upcoming Sega Rally 3, plus there's Shox, but both are arcadey, which is not what your buddy wants. Gran Turismo has rally racing, but it's not nearly as fleshed out as the rest of the game. So I say go with Xbox.

DarienA said:
Wait he wants to buy the console with the better rally sims?

This isn't even a contest, Xbox by a huge margin IMO.
I don't know that he'll be buying multiple rally sims, he just wants whichever game is "the best one." Is there one on the Xbox that really stands out?

Edit: Thanks FortNinety, I'll pass it on.

gunstarhero

I don't know that he'll be buying multiple rally sims, he just wants whichever game is "the best one." Is there one on the Xbox that really stands out?

RALLISPORT 2 - there is no better.

jedimike

It does not get any better than RSC2. I've also heard that Richard Burns Rally is great for die hard sim fans. Right now you can buy a Toca2/CMR4 combo game for $20. Both are excellent.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
gunstarhero said:
RALLISPORT 2 - there is no better.
Do not buy RalliSport if your friend is looking for a rally sim.

The game is good, no doubt, but it's far from sim. Half of the race events have other cars on the course, the co-pilot is dog-shit, the career mode isn't set up like real rallies at all, there're no car repairs between stages, the game automatically makes adjustments to your car for the next course so you don't have to (though you still have the option, it's useless), the physics are pretty damned far from sim...and I hate the game's camera (default is too close, and the second chase cam does a terrible job of looking the direction you're moving).

My recommendation is Xbox if your friend lives in the US (in Europe, PS2 will do as well). You can get Colin McRae 04 for $20 and/or Colin McRae 2005 for $30 (I personally like 2005 more). If your friend lives in Europe, there's also Richard Burns Rally, which is supposedly very very sim-like, though I haven't played it myself (I just watched some video footage, and the cars looked a little paper-ish).

Gregory

Banned
Well, the only difference between getting an Xbox or PS2 for rally games are the WRC and Rallisport games. WRC is exclusive to PS2, Rallisport to Xbox. All the others are multiformat.

Show him some info about those games then he can decide, because otherwise it`s the same.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Gregory said:
Show him some info about those games then he can decide, because otherwise it`s the same.
Not in the US. Over here, CMR 04 and 2005 are only on Xbox (CMR3 is on PS2).

plik

go with CMR 04 if you are on the cheap, wait for CMR 2005 if you wait. stay away from Rallisport if you want anything like an authentic rally racer.

shpankey

not an idiot
RSC2 is absolutely no "simulation" It's very arcadey. Great game though, just not a sim.

Richard Burns Rally is what he wants.

Xbox version of all games if possible, usually better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
might be worth waiting for WRC4, which is out soon on PS2. If that is great, then PS2 is the one to get. Otherwise, Xbox.

Top Bottom