• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good TV (HDTV)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok lately I have had the bug to buy a new TV...a friend of mine just bought one and it has fired up the old shopping bug once more!!

I know when I do get one it will be an HDTV/Widescreen one but I have no idea who makes good TVs these days as I haven't bought a new TV since like the early 90's. SO I figured I'd run down the list of stuff I'd "like" to be included....and see what you videophiles can offer up!

- HDTV ready
- Widescreen
- At least 36" (Small'ish but I'm not looking for a 5k TV here..current regular TV is 32")
- Lots of options to hook up game systems/DVD/VCR/Tivo etc

Anything above that is just icing on the cake.

I don't want to spend a fortune (see above comment) but I understand that new TV's are not cheap.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, i'm going to throw a wrench in your options

I went through the same delema you did. I ended up getting a Panasonic L300U LCD Digital Projector.

This option is AWESOME... if you meet the following

-You have a location where you can either ceiling mount or table mount a projector, with an unobstructed view onto a wall at which you have as much space as you want the image to be, over 60 inches is suggested, mine is set at 100

-You watch mostly movies or DVD/TV Widescreen material. My LCD projector SUCKS for regular TV especially off the air, however it will be nice for HDTV. Keep in mind EVERY flaw is magnified.

-The room needs to be made resonably dark.

-The idea of buying a replacement bulb every 3000 hours for $300 does not bother you much.

2499 @ Visual Apex
Pair it with this, http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801668
and one of these cables to get to the projector http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/products/product_detail.asp?Inventory=2002&Class=375

Now, keep in mind this does 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i, so any xbox games that support this res it will work with. Its also 16:9 native, so it will have black bars on the right and left side for 4:3 material. Jaggies are magnified. Being 16:9 native owns for 16:9 material though :)

If that set of creiteria fits, you will never look back. My room has become the offical movie home for my group of friends. Who needs a theater?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Thought about it, but it wouldn't really work where I am putting this TV....

The future involves a large windowless soundproofed room for a theater though ;)

The far future :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
In that case you need to decide betwen a huge lug or a big box. CRT and RP respectivly :)

CRT = Sony and Panasonic Field
while,
I found during research that RP (Rear Projection)
Hitachi seems to be doing a damn good job.

I have no model numbers to spout out cause it was a year ago I went and looked into buying them. Things may have changed.

If you have any questions, i'll see if I can answer them.

EDIT:
You can also reach me at AIM: Cross Legend

People spent time helping me, i'm returing the favor to the community

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The TV I have now is an RCA and it has been a workhorse for YEARS...but it is showing its age I guess.

I have never been a fan of RP TVs because of the "have to see it from the right angle" stuff....or am I way off on current tech?

Suikoguy

Mr Pockets said:
The TV I have now is an RCA and it has been a workhorse for YEARS...but it is showing its age I guess.

I have never been a fan of RP TVs because of the "have to see it from the right angle" stuff....or am I way off on current tech?

That issue has been addressed with some success.
Hard to explain, but go check them out in a local circuit city or best buy.
However, do not compare models, I REPEAT, do not compare models.
While it sounds evil, sets are placed in a manner that makes bad ones seem good, or ones that make them the most money seem good.

Keep in mind, Widescreen CRT Sets are still very expensive.
If you want widescreen in any decent size RP may be the only way.

golem

widescreens over 34" in crt are kinda hard to find..
sony's 34xbr960 is suppose to be pretty good, and toshiba's 34hfx83

personally i'd go for a rear projection CRT.. probalby the best value right now... hitachi 51s500, etc.

Well, it's been a while since I bought my Sony VEGA 32" HD (4:3), just over a year ago. But I can deffinatly tell you that I am very happy with it. I personaly opted to go with a full screen TV because while I buy all my DVD's in widescreen, there's still too much content in full screen format. Anyway I am not sure where I am going with this here, but the point is I deffinatly reccomend Sony for CRT, and while I havent had any actual long term experience with SOny's ptojection TV's, what I have seen of them I was impressed with.

But back to the CTR, once you start playing games in 720p and 1080i, you'll never look back.

~Black Deatha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom