• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

vazel

Banned
What surprises me about that is that your Firefox font is big. Your Chrome font is what seems normal to me. Maybe you're having trouble because you're running too high a resolution on a small monitor. Or it could be your eyes.

Chrome:
r0Bxr.jpg

Firefox:
yFaWk.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DeathbyVolcano said:
That doesn't work for me, and I'm the latest version of Chrome.

You have to use the Canary build. Sorry I forgot to mention that. :p

Good thing though is you don't even have to dick around with command line flags. WebGL and acceleration is enabled by default (and the download/install process is really smooth too.)

pmj

vazel said:
What surprises me about that is that your Firefox font is big. Your Chrome font is what seems normal to me. Maybe you're having trouble because you're running too high a resolution on a small monitor. Or it could be your eyes.
22", 1680x1050. And sure, my eyesight isn't the best but I'm correcting most that with glasses. Browsers should be for everyone though, not just those with large screens and good eyesight.

But I won't hate more on Chrome. This was the one big issue I had with Chrome and I was hoping to fix it and make the switch, but some research and the attitude here leads me to believe that you're either happy with the defaults in Chrome or you don't use the browser at all, which is sad. Especially since Firefox is the only realistic alternative, and it's such an enormous pile of shit. But at least I can read the text.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
pmj said:
http://imgur.com/5opD4.png[IMG]
Upper is Chrome, Lower is Firefox. Is this what you see?

Dev channel here, it says my browser isn't compatible.[/QUOTE]

can you not just press ctrl + the plus sign and zoom in a little?

or do you want something else? I think I might be misunderstanding the question

vazel

Banned
D4Danger said:
can you not just press ctrl + the plus sign and zoom in a little?

or do you want something else? I think I might be misunderstanding the question
He only wants the font increased, not the images.

subrock

so can anyone explain this to me?

sometimes when I have a few tabs loading they will just show the spinning circle loading animation (not beachball but the chrome loading animation on the tabs) forever and load extremely slowly. If I open safari and load the same page it loads instantly and chrome continues to hang. anyone else had this? (mac version)

edit: hmm, I'm not alone : http://www.chromeboard.com/showthread.php?t=7706

happens at work on the mac but not at home on the PC. maybe its a ram thing.

DonMigs85

After updating Chrome earlier then closing the browser window, Windows popped up an error saying it had to apply compatibility settings for Chrome. However, Chrome opened up again just fine and when I checked its properties no compat settings were actually applied. Anybody else get this?

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, so a few weeks ago I got my Chrome logo laptop sticker in the mail. You remember a few months ago when they were giving them away.

These ones right here:
http://www.plinky.it/blog/2010/06/16/finally-google-chrome-sticker-is-mine/
Got the stickers complete with letter. It came as a surprise because I had forgotten I had ordered them.

But I haven't decided whether I really want to put them on my laptop. I mean, if it were one big sticker that I could remove if I wanted to, sure. But it's a hundred little leaf stickers. Removing them, even to just move them to another computer later on, would be a pain. Plus the process to apply them looks fun, but I'd be afraid a few would refuse to come off onto the laptop and I'd apply it wrong and it would look wonky and my OCD would never let me live it down. :lol Also, I can see a few of them falling off after a while as stickers on laptops tend to do. Hell, the fucking inspection stickers in my car windshield are peeling too. Stickers peel.

So maybe I should just keep it as a keepsake. I mean, I know I'll be using Chrome for the foreseeable future, but who knows what I might be using in 2020? Though, I probably won't be using this laptop in 2020 so... I dunno. I mean it would give my laptop more decoration.Though it'd be free advertising for Chrome when I'm out and about that one time I go out and about with my laptop every month or two.

Futureman

Oh shit!

Got Chrome at work!

I tried to install in the past, but it always said I didn't have permission to install. It works now. Awesome.

Shadow780

Is anyone using ChromeBirds extension? How do I access the the list of ppl I'm following, and the list of ppl that are following me?

Also, still no way to disable download bar appearing at the bottom?

tmdorsey

The one thing I hate about Chrome that I haven't seen mentioned is how the "View First Unread Post" link on GAF doesn't work correctly most of the time. Never have this issue with other browsers I use.

Gui_PT

tmdorsey said:
The one thing I hate about Chrome that I haven't seen mentioned is how the "View First Unread Post" link on GAF doesn't work correctly most of the time. Never have this issue with other browsers I use.

I get that all the time. Won't even open the last page in the thread =\

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's one issue I've had with Chrome:

ctrl+b and ctrl+i don't bold and italic, respectively

How can I fix this?

Just wanted to bump this thread with some love for Chrome and its extensions. I was browsing the web and a message popped up from the creator of AdBlock notifying me and everyone that uses the extension that a update is coming soon. I love the fact that creators can do that and notify you of something.

Pretty cool stuff. :D

Schrade

K.Jack said:
There's one issue I've had with Chrome:

ctrl+b and ctrl+i don't bold and italic, respectively

How can I fix this?
Don't believe that's a browser issue. That's more like a site-related javascript issue. The site's code is browser snooping most likely and maybe it's not set up for Chrome.

Chrome has been being weird for me lately. Like, it caches something and refuses to load the new version of the page. Unfortunately, this means I have to ditch it for Safari for now. :(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Does anybody know how to get tabs to open on the far right instead of right next to the current tab? I know how to do it in IE and in Firefox but I can't seem to find the option in Chrome. Hope I'm not looking right past something obvious.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really like Chrome in many ways, but what annoys me to no end is that there's no good mouse gestures extensions. This is really important to me, since I'm a long-time Opera user and rely heavily on mouse gestures to browse effeciently. The best one I've found is Smooth Gestures, but even that one is very lacking compared to Opera's built-in mouse gestures, and pretty buggy. It's also really annoying that extensions are blocked on internal pages (such as the "new tab" page), since that means the gestures don't work at all on those. I just wish Google would make their own native mouse gesture functionality. Another extension which pales completely compared to Opera's built-in counterpart is Speed Dial.

I guess this is what you get when you go with a browser which relies on user-made extensions rather than professionally implemented built-in features, but Opera lacks some other important things (like the ability to render Google Docs and other sites properly - I'm a pretty heavy Google user, so that's a problem for me). I guess there is no complete solution for me, and that's why I keep both browsers installed (though lately I've gone from pretty much only using Opera to using Chrome for a majority of the time).

(I also tried Fx 4 Beta, and found it to be a horribly slow and clunky thing to work with. No, thank you.)

tabsina

So did anyone else see that chrome beta went to v7 today?

On my laptop I have docs, facebook, calendar, gmail, reader are all installed apps.. but on my computer they are not.. i'm not sure why.. i might have installed them manually when i was testing out the dev updates a while ago, so they might not be actual apps

seems like there is a still a problem of neogaf gaming, offtopic and online tabs breaking in v7.. this has been happening ever since chrome canary went to v7.. i would have thought they'd fix it before beta got there, apparently not

tabsina said:
So did anyone else see that chrome beta went to v7 today?

On my laptop I have docs, facebook, calendar, gmail, reader are all installed apps.. but on my computer they are not.. i'm not sure why.. i might have installed them manually when i was testing out the dev updates a while ago, so they might not be actual apps

seems like there is a still a problem of neogaf gaming, offtopic and online tabs breaking in v7.. this has been happening ever since chrome canary went to v7.. i would have thought they'd fix it before beta got there, apparently not
It's not Chrome's problem to fix. The tabs are missing closing tags in the HTML. The people that have access to updating the GAF theme have to fix it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Schrade said:
Don't believe that's a browser issue. That's more like a site-related javascript issue. The site's code is browser snooping most likely and maybe it's not set up for Chrome.
It doesn't work on any site which I frequent, including GAF.

Where does it work?

K.Jack said:

Where does it work?
There is no Ctrl+B or Ctrl+I shortcut for bold and italic in any browser. That's JavaScript by the site. Whoever made it didn't give a shit about Webkit browsers.

Schrade

K.Jack said:

Where does it work?
All those sites are most likely using the same or similar code, that's all. No one is smart enough (or are just too lazy) to modify it.

Of course it could also be that no one cares much about that and just type the tags manually. I know I do :)

tabsina

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's not Chrome's problem to fix. The tabs are missing closing tags in the HTML. The people that have access to updating the GAF theme have to fix it.

I was thinking as much, but I didn't know enough about html to know for sure - thanks for the info

Jasoco

Banned

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
shidoshi said:
Probably totally old by now, but I just now noticed the "Press
to search" option in the URL bar. That's kind of nice!

Oh Shidoshi. :lol

Jasoco said:
Edit: Hmm.. there seems to be a process in Task Manager called "GPU Process". Could it be??

What I talked about last page, Chrome 7 adds GPU acceleration to Canvas, WebGL, and others (probably CSS transforms as well.) They say it was a struggle to add it while also satisfying Chrome's security principles, but they seem to have done a good job. A separate thread is almost required, I think.

vazel

Banned
Is it just me or a bunch of extensions adding icons you can't hide?

One feedback success story.
8ryu7.jpg

PriceBlink is highly recommended btw. It's helped me find lots of good deals.

rossonero

Is it possible to set Chrome to open instead of save a file when downloading? It's annoying to have to delete for an example zip files in the Download map all the time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
rossonero said:
Is it possible to set Chrome to open instead of save a file when downloading? It's annoying to have to delete for an example zip files in the Download map all the time.

I hope someone answers you soon, because I get tired of that also.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
vazel said:
Is it just me or a bunch of extensions adding icons you can't hide?

yeah, I've noticed this as well.

I'm seriously considering uninstalling adblock now; the icon is so ugly and serves no purpose at all.

Top Bottom